ZFS plugin for unRAID

steini84

41 minutes ago, gyto6 said:

I might I've a bad english.

Not at all. ;)

I was asking if Limetech has warned you about official ZFS support in Unraid.

No, not yet...

I've only thought that the Unraid's team would warn you if they're planning to support ZFS in order to not reproduce what happened with @CHBMB who discovered that @limetech deprecated its works (and more, but that's not the subject) without warning him/her.

TBH, even if it is implemented in Unraid directly I'm fine with it, as long as it is working and makes Unraid better for everyone I'm fine with it, I also don't see a reason why I should be mad about such a thing... :)

Heck, even if they implement the Nvidia Drivers, DVB Drivers and so on directly into Unraid, why should I be mad...? If it's working I'm fine with it, even if this means all my plugins are then deprecated (BTW, this means more free time in my free time for me :D ).

12 minutes ago, ich777 said:

TBH, even if it is implemented in Unraid directly I'm fine with it, as long as it is working and makes Unraid better for everyone I'm fine with it, I also don't see a reason why I should be mad about such a thing... :)

Heck, even if they implement the Nvidia Drivers, DVB Drivers and so on directly into Unraid, why should I be mad...? If it's working I'm fine with it, even if this means all my plugins are then deprecated (BTW, this means more free time in my free time for me :D ).

Well that's honest indeed. I'm not providing all the work you're providing with Unraid plugins and Docker containers, however I share your point of view about it.

We're profiting about your free time already, and I'm grateful about ZFS and Nvidia support by now. Thanks a lot. 😉

Thanks for the answers!

Edited by gyto6
  • Like 1
9 hours ago, ich777 said:

@all had to push another update for ZFS (to plugin version 2.1.4) to force an update form the Plugin Update Helper because I've found a bug.

Sorry for the inconvenience...

Well, doing an update is not this much annoying, mostly an habit.. 😄

Do you mean that we need to reboot our server if we want to apply the update?

43 minutes ago, gyto6 said:

Well, doing an update is not this much annoying, mostly an habit.. 😄

Do you mean that we need to reboot our server if we want to apply the update?

This is just updating tbe plugin helper code not a change to zfs. So no need to reboot.

Edited by SimonF

Hi,

im using zfs on unraid since a few months and it works great. I have a few questions. I use zfs-auto-snapshot.

1. Is it possible to do the snapshots for a specific dataset (rescursive) only?

2. Is there a command so that empty snapshots get deleted automatically?

3. I use truenas on another server offsite. Is it possible to send the snapshot to this truenas server so that they are also visible in the gui of truenas?

Thank you!

Kind regards,

Edgar

31 minutes ago, Jack8COke said:

1. Is it possible to do the snapshots for a specific dataset (rescursive) only?

Sure, select yourpool/yourdataset instead of yourpool to apply specific commands and snapshots to this dataset

2. Is there a command so that empty snapshots get deleted automatically?

Some scripts seems to exists, but for security matters, "We don't that here" as they take no space when empty (nearly).

This script does the job but stay cautious, it can be break with an upgrade : https://gist.github.com/SkyWriter/58e36bfaa9eea1d36460

3. I use truenas on another server offsite. Is it possible to send the snapshot to this truenas server so that they are also visible in the gui of truenas?

Did your heard about Sanoid ?

Edited by gyto6

@Jack8COke

Please, if your using ZnapZend or Sanoid, DO NOT USE the script to remove your empty snapshots.

These solutions manages Snapshots Retention for Archive purpose and would keep some snapshots longer. If your using this script, a snapshot managed to be kept a month can get simply removed...

Mhm, I'm currently having an issue where a reboot of my UNRAID 6.10.3 installation doesn't correctly re-install the ZFS package anymore. I'm also using ZFS master and ZFS companion and they get installed just fine (like all my other plugins).

I've had to reinstall the ZFS addon twice now (after every restart). I don't see anything interesting in the logs though.

When I reinstall the addon, it always says "ZFS found locally..." and then continues to install correctly.

In the past, I've had no issues whatsoever though. Should the plugin have a folder in "/boot/config/plugins"? (Because right now, it doesn't). Edit: Nvm, it does: unRAID6-ZFS.plg and unRAID6-ZFS/

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this? Thanks!

Edited by TheJulianJES
1 hour ago, TheJulianJES said:

Edit: Nvm, it does: unRAID6-ZFS.plg and unRAID6-ZFS/

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this? Thanks!

Please try to uninstall the plugin, reboot and reinstall it again from the CA App.

What is the output from:

modinfo zfs

before you do the above described procedure?

Your Diagnostics would be also helpful.

EDIT: I've now tried a fresh installation on my test server after a clean reboot and everything is working as expected.

I finally tried this plugin and set everything up, 3x 4TB hdds with a raidz1 and I did run a command to test the speed from level1techs forum and I have abysmal performance. I get around 20MB/s read and writes, not sure how to troubleshoot this. In the example given in the forum he had around 150MB/s with 4 8TB hdds

The command is:

fio --direct=1 --name=test --bs=256k --filename=/dumpster/test/whatever.tmp --size=32G --iodepth=64 --readwrite=randrw

On 7/23/2022 at 10:13 PM, ich777 said:

Please try to uninstall the plugin, reboot and reinstall it again from the CA App.

What is the output from:

modinfo zfs

before you do the above described procedure?

Your Diagnostics would be also helpful.

EDIT: I've now tried a fresh installation on my test server after a clean reboot and everything is working as expected.

I also noticed that Unassigned Devices installed but didn't show up correctly in the UI. Before doing another reboot, I uninstalled and reinstalled those plugins and the ZFS plugin. I've restarted now and everything came up as expected now. So, i'm not really sure what this was about (maybe some UNRAID bug?) but at least everything works now.

Thank you so much again for the plugin and the fast support.

1 hour ago, TheJulianJES said:

maybe some UNRAID bug?

I don't think so because other users would be affected too.

This could maybe also indicate a failing USB Boot Device because the packages are stored. Are you using a USB3.0 or USB2.0 flash device?

I would always recommend using a USB2.0 flash device, also look at this post here:

On 7/26/2022 at 7:32 PM, stuoningur said:

I finally tried this plugin and set everything up, 3x 4TB hdds with a raidz1 and I did run a command to test the speed from level1techs forum and I have abysmal performance. I get around 20MB/s read and writes, not sure how to troubleshoot this. In the example given in the forum he had around 150MB/s with 4 8TB hdds

The command is:

fio --direct=1 --name=test --bs=256k --filename=/dumpster/test/whatever.tmp --size=32G --iodepth=64 --readwrite=randrw

Please, provide your HDD references and your zpool properties for better support.

On 7/18/2022 at 11:00 PM, ich777 said:

ZFS support is official now for Unraid 6.11 : This release includes some bug fixes and update of base packages.  Sorry no major new feature in this release, but instead we are paying some "technical debt" and laying the groundwork necessary to add better third-party driver and ZFS support.  We anticipate a relatively short -rc series.

@ich777 You'll finally have some rest with this thread in an aproximate future.

ICE : Actual ZFS beginners users should audit their configuration in order to be able to recreate their zpool with the incoming Unraid 6.11. Save your "zpool create" command in a txt file as for your datasets in order to keep a trace from all the parameters you've used when creating your pool.

BACKUP ALL YOUR DATA ON AN EXTERNAL SUPPORT. SNAPSHOT IS NOT A BACKUP. A COPY IS.

ZnapZend or Sanoid plugins will help, or a simple copy from your data on a backup storage with the cp or rclone commands.

Don't expect the update to happens with no trouble

Edited by gyto6
4 hours ago, gyto6 said:

ZFS support is official now for Unraid 6.11 : This release includes some bug fixes and update of base packages.  Sorry no major new feature in this release, but instead we are paying some "technical debt" and laying the groundwork necessary to add better third-party driver and ZFS support.  We anticipate a relatively short -rc series.

I honestly dont see them including it in the base OS, instead opting to better support ZFS datasets within the UI for normal cache/share/etc operations. e.g. youd be able to create a zfs cache pool, but only if the optional zfs driver plugin is installed; otherwise, only btrfs and xfs are listed as options.

Thatd be how I'd do it anyway - forego any potential legal risk (no matter how small), limit memory footprint by leaving it out of the base for those who dont need/want it, and numerous other reasons.

On 7/26/2022 at 12:32 PM, stuoningur said:

The command is:

If you've 30-40 minutes free today, we can do a quick remote session and take a look if youd like? We can probably sort out the cause in 10-15, but buffer never hurt.

Shoot me a DM if youd like, I'll be around off and on throughout the day 👍

19 hours ago, gyto6 said:

ICE : Actual ZFS beginners users should audit their configuration in order to be able to recreate their zpool with the incoming Unraid 6.11. Save your "zpool create" command in a txt file as for your datasets in order to keep a trace from all the parameters you've used when creating your pool.

BACKUP ALL YOUR DATA ON AN EXTERNAL SUPPORT. SNAPSHOT IS NOT A BACKUP. A COPY IS.

ZnapZend or Sanoid plugins will help, or a simple copy from your data on a backup storage with the cp or rclone commands.

Don't expect the update to happens with no trouble

Just to be clear - nothing in that post says ZFS will be available in 6.11.  It only says they're laying the groundwork for it.  Yes, that does officially elude that it's coming - but that's happened in a few places already.

• Upvote 1
On 7/30/2022 at 4:22 PM, BVD said:

I honestly dont see them including it in the base OS, instead opting to better support ZFS datasets within the UI for normal cache/share/etc operations. e.g. youd be able to create a zfs cache pool, but only if the optional zfs driver plugin is installed; otherwise, only btrfs and xfs are listed as options.

Thatd be how I'd do it anyway - forego any potential legal risk (no matter how small), limit memory footprint by leaving it out of the base for those who dont need/want it, and numerous other reasons.

Indeed, ZFS is a "bit" more complex and I don't see it perfectly included within Unraid as they did with BTRFS/XFS. Using a plugin as it's the case with "My Servers" is not something that I expected, but it might do the work indeed. Only authorising its integration with the disk management GUI would be the least, and we won't finally require a dead usb-key or disk to start the array anymore.

11 hours ago, Marshalleq said:

Just to be clear - nothing in that post says ZFS will be available in 6.11.  It only says they're laying the groundwork for it.  Yes, that does officially elude that it's coming - but that's happened in a few places already.

Indeed, words have a meaning. What do you mean saying "that's happened in a few places already" ? That other functionalities has been annonced but not released, or at least in another upgrade?

Edited by gyto6
On 7/30/2022 at 4:32 PM, BVD said:

If you've 30-40 minutes free today, we can do a quick remote session and take a look if youd like? We can probably sort out the cause in 10-15, but buffer never hurt.

Shoot me a DM if youd like, I'll be around off and on throughout the day 👍

Sorry I didn't see the message, but I really appreciate the offer. In the meantime I did some progress already and I think at least one issue is my CPU performance, as it doesn't boost as high as it could. Performance increased a lot with the cpu governor on performance, but still slower than I would expect. I will try around a bit more and would possibly come back to your offer.

Another comment had the valid complain that I didn't provide much information so here it goes:

It's a Ryzen 7 5700G system with 32GB DDR4

4x4TB Seagate IronWolfs on a LSI Broadcom 9201-8i HBA

I tried Raid-Z1 and 2x 2 drive mirrors.

In general I basically followed the guide on level1techs forum for the general zpool, dataset and test command.

3 minutes ago, stuoningur said:

Sorry I didn't see the message, but I really appreciate the offer. In the meantime I did some progress already and I think at least one issue is my CPU performance, as it doesn't boost as high as it could. Performance increased a lot with the cpu governor on performance, but still slower than I would expect. I will try around a bit more and would possibly come back to your offer.

Another comment had the valid complain that I didn't provide much information so here it goes:

It's a Ryzen 7 5700G system with 32GB DDR4

4x4TB Seagate IronWolfs on a LSI Broadcom 9201-8i HBA

I tried Raid-Z1 and 2x 2 drive mirrors.

In general I basically followed the guide on level1techs forum for the general zpool, dataset and test command.

Whole bunch to go through there, too much to type right now, but a few things to consider:

* Your test is for 256k IO using the random read/write algorithm, with sync enabled.

* The default zfs dataset has a 128k block size (half the test block size), so two write actions for each 1 from fio. With sync, you're having to physically finish and validate the write to disk before continuing, not an ideal workload for HDDs anyway.

* On top of that, weve got a 64 IO depth (which is essentially "how long can my queue be") is essentially halved by the default dataset blocksize; sort of "cancelling it out", down to 32 in effect

The most important part though is this - in order to properly test your storage, the test needs to be representative of the workload. I pretty strongly doubt you'll primarily be doing synchronous random r/w 256k IO across some ~20TB of space, but in the event you do have at least some workload like that, youll just ensure that one dataset on the pool is optimally configure to handle it in order to ensure your results are "the best this hardware can provide".

Also, would be happy to set aside some time with you still of course! As an FYI (just given the time of your response here), I'm in GMT-5, assuming we're basically opposite hours of eachother, but im certain we could make some time thatd work for us both. You just lemme know if/when you'd like to do so.

I'm actually working on some zfs performance documentation geared towards unraid on github currently (going over different containers with recommendations on both how to configure their datasets as well as test+tune, general "databases on zfs" stuff, tunable options from the unraid/hypervisors side and when/how to use them, and so on), and the above post has been enough to kick me in the rear and get back to it. It's been an off and on thing for (months? Hell, idk), but I'll try to share it out as soon as at least *some* portion of it is fully "done". Maybe itll help someone else down the line 👍