ZFS plugin for unRAID

steini84

17 minutes ago, fxhe said:

Done. Thanks and what to do next?

Reboot and the unRAID ZFS plugin should use the package you just downloaded.  There's still some underlying issue to be solved though, or you will continue to have problems.

It's possible this is due to the system time on your unRAID server being incorrect.  What's the output of:

date

edit:

If date is correct, what's the output of this:

openssl s_client -showcerts -servername github.com -connect github.com:443

Edited by jortan
Just now, jortan said:

Reboot and the unRAID ZFS plugin should use the package you just downloaded.  There's still some underlying issue to be solved though, or you will continue to have problems.

It's possible this is due to the system time on your unRAID server being incorrect.  What's the output of:

date

It's correct now.

Just now, fxhe said:

It's correct now.

Great, you should be able to installl/update other plugins now including unRAID itself, which I assume wasn't working previously.

You might want to go to Settings / Date and Time and enable/set NTP server to keep your unRAID server time correct.

0.pool.ntp.org
1.pool.ntp.org

Just now, jortan said:

Great, you should be able to installl/update other plugins now including unRAID itself, which I assume wasn't working previously.

You might want to go to Settings / Date and Time and enable/set NTP server to keep your unRAID server time correct.

0.pool.ntp.org
1.pool.ntp.org

YES.

Just now, fxhe said:

YES.

Your answers aren't very clear

3 minutes ago, fxhe said:

I mean the system time is correct. And what to do next?

Are you saying it was already correct or you updated the time and it's correct now?

You keep asking what to do next, but without being specific about exactly what your current problem is or what you are trying to achieve.

Just now, jortan said:

Your answers aren't very clear

Are you saying it was already correct or you updated the time and it's correct now?

You keep asking what to do next, but without being specific about exactly what your current problem is or what you are trying to achieve.

I mean what to do for ZFS-plugin?

1 minute ago, fxhe said:

I mean what to do for ZFS-plugin?

I should have been a dentist...

ls -al /boot/config/plugins/unRAID6-ZFS/packages/unRAID6-ZFS/raw/bce53432ab6891f33cd2fd16a4621b66a0c9c2dd/packages/zfs-2.0.0-unRAID-6.9.1.x86_64.tgz

do you have a file here now?

If so, reboot.

zfs

Does this command work now?

Just now, jortan said:

I should have been a dentist...

ls -al /boot/config/plugins/unRAID6-ZFS/packages/unRAID6-ZFS/raw/bce53432ab6891f33cd2fd16a4621b66a0c9c2dd/packages/zfs-2.0.0-unRAID-6.9.1.x86_64.tgz

do you have a file here now?

If so, reboot.

zfs

Does this command work now?

yes for i have the file but the zfs comand not work.

Edited by fxhe

Hello there !

i use ZFS on Unraid  (on my Backupserver) for a long time.

As this is "just" a Backup it is not powered on all the time, so the tools provided by Steini84 ( Thank you Steini !)

for snapshots etc. are super easy and nice but not what suits my goal ...

So i came across this very promising scripts:

ZFSBUD: SIMPLE ZFS SNAPSHOTTING, REPLICATING & BACKUP ROTATING CONVENIENCE BASH SCRIPT

and 

UNLOCK AND MOUNT SEVERAL ZFS DATASETS ON BOOT WITH SINGLE PASSPHRASE 

both can by found here gbyte Blog

i tries to use them via "User Scripts" but failed ...

I am praying that some can help me to get this super nice and convenient scripts working in my Unraid Boxes

As i am just a "user" not a script guy

-- hopefully posted in the right place 

regards from Osnabrück / Germany

Edited by Dtrain
Hello there !

i use ZFS on Unraid  (on my Backupserver) for a long time.
As this is "just" a Backup it is not powered on all the time, so the tools provided by Steini84 ( Thank you Steini !)
for snapshots etc. are super easy and nice but not what suits my goal ...

So i came across this very promising scripts:
ZFSBUD: SIMPLE ZFS SNAPSHOTTING, REPLICATING & BACKUP ROTATING CONVENIENCE BASH SCRIPT
and 
UNLOCK AND MOUNT SEVERAL ZFS DATASETS ON BOOT WITH SINGLE PASSPHRASE 
both can by found here : gbyte Blog

i tries to use them via "User Scripts" but failed ...

I am praying that some can help me to get this super nice and convenient scripts working in my Unraid Boxes
As i am just a "user" not a script guy

-- hopefully posted in the right place 

regards from Osnabrück / Germany

Check this out. I love it for snapshots and replication

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/94549-sanoidsyncoid-zfs-snapshots-and-replication/
17 minutes ago, steini84 said:

Check this out. I love it for snapshots and replication

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/94549-sanoidsyncoid-zfs-snapshots-and-replication/

great stuff as long the server is powered on ...

but in my case the server is just switched on from time to time .. thats why i am keen to use

the above "manual" scripts via the User scripts plugin

so i an make snapshots etc on the fly and not by a given time frame

6 hours ago, Dtrain said:

great stuff as long the server is powered on ...

but in my case the server is just switched on from time to time .. thats why i am keen to use

the above "manual" scripts via the User scripts plugin

so i an make snapshots etc on the fly and not by a given time frame

I'm going to be setting up something very similar soon.  I'm going to be using sanoid/syncoid, but in "pull" mode:

Pull mode - The backup "pulls" snapshots from the primary server

Push mode - The primary server "pushes" snapshots to the backup server.

Sanoid has a configuration template for "backup" mode, meaning that it won't be generating any snapshots, but will prune old snapshots as required.  This should be applied to your backup server datasets.

You're much more likely to get help with sanoid/syncoid as they are much more widely used.

Edited by jortan

Builds for 6.9.2 have been added (2.0.0 and 2.0.4 if you have enabled "unstable" builds) 

Thanks to @ich777 the process is now automated! When a new unRAID version is released ZFS is built and uploaded automatically. Thanks a lot to @ich777 for this awesome addition!

• Like 2
On 3/26/2021 at 7:18 AM, glennv said:

Why havent you moved yet to hosting docker in a folder on zfs instead of hosting a docker image on top of zfs ?
I moved to it last week and works fine and dont have to worrie about a docker.img file anymore.
Its also more transparent as you can just browse the content of all images etc etc.

I was trying this on my server, but the Docker service would not start when I pointed the Docker data-root to a folder on ZFS. Worked fine using folders on Btrfs/Xfs formatted drives.

I was trying this on my server, but the Docker service would not start when I pointed the Docker data-root to a folder on ZFS. Worked fine using folders on Btrfs/Xfs formatted drives.

Wierd. Zero issues here. Have it on 6.9.1 (on 2 servers) not yet upgraded to 6.9.2

It didn’t work for me either but haven’t tried lately. While I prefer folders it seems risky if there’s no confirmation that something has been fixed, changed it added. It might break at next upgrade. So will stick to images for now. 

Edited by Marshalleq
  • 2 weeks later...

I have some special question to ZFS in combination with unraid.

I have some 10TB disk in unraid array. Now I want to buy some 12 TB disk and want to use 10 TB in original array and 2 TB as zfs pool:

I have the following idea:

zero out the disk with preclear

creating a 10TB partition /dev/sdx1 with same sector-count like the other disks and format it with xfs

creating a 2 TB partition /dev/sdx2 and format it with zfs

adding disk to array

create a zfs pool with the smaller partitions.

adding on ssd to the array a a cache disk

using a second ssd as cache disk for the zfs-pool

I this a possible way to go ahead?

What is happening when I am adding a disk (preformated) tom the array and the whole disk size is not same?

Please give me some ideas.

I get that you want to make the best of your disks, it is in my experience generally recommended to give ZFS whole disks due to the way it works.  That said I think you can give it partitions.  What I'm not sure about is if you could give unraid partitions.  This configuration is probably going to be terrible performance though.

I'd suggest replace the 10TB disks with what you buy, then create a ZFS mirror with the 10TB disks (assuming you want the bigger ones in unraid.  You can still use both disks to store things, you can't get around losing two disks for parity though unless you go all ZFS or all unraid array.

I have had one server on 6.9.2 since initial release and a pair of ZFS drives are serving Docker and VM's without issue.

I just upgraded a production server 6.8.3 to 6.9.2 and now Docker refuses to start and VM's on the ZFS are not available.

Zpool status looks fine

pool: MFS2
 state: ONLINE
status: Some supported features are not enabled on the pool. The pool can
        still be used, but some features are unavailable.
action: Enable all features using 'zpool upgrade'. Once this is done,
        the pool may no longer be accessible by software that does not support
        the features. See zpool-features(5) for details.
  scan: scrub repaired 0B in 02:10:49 with 0 errors on Fri Mar 26 10:24:18 2021
config:

NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        MFS2        ONLINE       0     0     0
          mirror-0  ONLINE       0     0     0
            sdp     ONLINE       0     0     0
            sdo     ONLINE       0     0     0

The mount points for Docker are visible in MNT and everthing looks similar to the working 6.9.2 server.  This server has been running 6.8.3 for an extended period of time with ZFS working fine.

kim-diagnostics-20210428-1423.zip