Sata/SAS controllers tested (real world max throughput during parity check)

23 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

Mostly HBA bus width and link speed, for SAS expanders number of wide ports in use and devices used link speed.

Thank you, I ordered a used LSI-9207e (external ports) from eBay for the R710, and the RES2SV240 for my existing ASRock server.

Would it be ok to order (2x) SFF-8088 to SFF 8088 (for R710 server) and a dual port 8088 to 8087 PCI bracket (for ASRock server) and (2x) SFF-8087 to SFF-8087 from the dual port to the RES2SV240? It’s more expensive and I don’t know if there will be a speed loss going through the dual port. I think it’ll look nicer and not have to route the cables through the PCI slots.

Would it be a faster connection if I just ordered (2x) SFF-8088 to SFF-8087 and route them through the PCI slots to the RES2SV240 directly.

• 1 month later...

The dual controllers in each enclosure are for redundancy/multipath and since Unraod doesn't support SAS multipath you basically have two connection options:

1) single cable from HBA to first controller on the 1st enclosure then daisy chain to 2nd encloure

2) and best option for performance, one cable from each HBA port to each enclosure

• 3 months later...
On 4/27/2019 at 2:04 PM, Lev said:

@johnnie.black this is a tremendous resource and was interested in your thoughts on what would be the expected speeds to determine the optimal configuration for a for 30+ drives in the following configuration:

SuperMicro SuperStorage 6047R-E1R36L configured as:

• BPN-SAS2-846EL1 (front 24 bays) with three 8087 connectors
  • BPN-SAS2-826EL1 (rear 12 bays) with two 8087 connectors
  • LSI 2308 SAS2 PCIe 3.0 host adapter with two 8087 connectors (motherboard integrated)
  • 6x SATA ports on the motherboard, running at 6GB SATA3 (DMI 2.0)
  • 2x NVMe slots via Supermicro AOC-SLG3-2M2 add-in card
  • The drives are all WD Red/White 10TB & 8TB models

Unraid setup as of 4/27/2019:

• Data disks x28
    • x24 connected to BPN-SAS2-846EL1 dual linked to LSI 2308
    • x4 connected to motherboard SATA ports
  • Parity disk
    • x1 disk connected to motherboard SATA port
  • cache disk
    • x1 NVMe drive connected to AOC-SLG-2M2
  • Not in use/connected
    • BPN-SAS2-826EL1 (rear 12 bays)
    • x1 SATA port
    • x1 NVMe port

Is this the most optimal setup to spread out the utilization and not encounter bottlenecks? Any opportunities for improvement?

If I was to daisy chain a single link from the third 8087 connector on the BPN-SAS2-846EL1 to the downstream BPN-SAS2-826EL1 how much of a negative impact on performance would that have? The 826-EL1 would be empty, no disks. Would that reduce PHYs available or add significant additional SAS overhead?

Upgrading both the 846 and 826 backplanes to SAS3. Such an easy swap in Supermicro 847 case.

@johnnie.black

This has been such a helpful resource, and I stumbled across your posts over on another message board about your benchmarks with sas3 that were helpful in knowing what performance to expect with sas3 and databolt. I wanted to post here to say thanks for that. Also if there was anything you wanted to update in your first post here to reflect your most up to date findings.

I'll post some pics of the backplane swap when I get a chance. It's been fun.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
5 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Never measured

I saw in YouTube video that 9207-8i is very hot like 150°C,after mounted 40mm fan it's 85°C... in pc case. 

So I'm little disconfused to buy 9211-8i or 9207-8i,

now Having 6 HDDs, want to add 2HDD and 2SSD.

for now I need it for HDDs, and having 6 sata ports on board so its can be used for SSDs, if I move all HDDs on HBA. 

So interested about temperature of 9211-8i. 

15 hours ago, Masterwishx said:

I saw in YouTube video that 9207-8i is very hot like 150°C,after mounted 40mm fan it's 85°C... in pc case. 

The 9207-8i need ~9,7W (under "full load") and has a very small heatsink - so it needs active cooling. I use a 40mm Noctua fan but 85° with the fan sounds way too high or not correct.

The Spec says max. 50° and mine is running now since two years...

Edited by Zonediver
  • Like 1
18 minutes ago, Masterwishx said:

on 9207-8i ?

Yes, it's a large side fan on an ATX case, it provides airflow on the LSI, I prefer a large fan close to the controller versus a small fan on it.

19 minutes ago, Masterwishx said:

also Art of Server youtube channel sayed that 2308 is more hot than 2008

It is, I told you the same, just don't thing that 150C without fan and 85C fan are realistic numbers, they seem way too high.

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, Masterwishx said:

it was in video on YouTube

I saw on Youtube that some measured 150° Farenheit - thats 65,5°C

I use this for cooling...

grafik.png.821998405d05bb6af4b0fe7185a748ca.png

EDIT: It is also possible to mount the fan directly to the heatsink because the holes are the same.

See this:

Edited by Zonediver
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, ChatNoir said:

it was very dry and cracked.

Thanks for help, finally maked order for my first HBA card from china ebay seller, new LSI 9207-8i = 80$ "im very hoping it will be new and original"

H200 =54$  is much chipper from china sellers.

wanted to buy from Art of Server H200 used ,its a little more cost plus sending ,so for me its about 100$ with sipping. but its original for sure i think. 

5 minutes ago, JonathanM said:

or possibly an OEM version

Thanks for the link .

They (china sellers) also use (oem ver ) name on they card so hard to understand what you will really get, also they have (open box ,new cards) ....

i asked for seller to give me link to new but original card, but not 100 %sure what i will get in end .

so option to buy used from usa guys is more prefered offcourse ....

in https://www.chinahao.com/ they sell new cards i can see by prices :) ?