Windows 7 VM blind to USB devices

Gog

Hi

Fairly new to VMs on KVM but I upgraded the server and I'm trying to migrate my Sage windows box to a VM.

I'm having a hard time getting the windows VM to detect any USB device.  The xml looks fine, the devices are plugged in before the VM starts,  I installed the 4 virtIO drivers but the hauppauge usb tuner or a simple usb stick are invisible to the VM.

Is there something specific I need to install to let the VM detect the devices?

thanks

Hi

Fairly new to VMs on KVM but I upgraded the server and I'm trying to migrate my Sage windows box to a VM.

I'm having a hard time getting the windows VM to detect any USB device.  The xml looks fine, the devices are plugged in before the VM starts,  I installed the 4 virtIO drivers but the hauppauge usb tuner or a simple usb stick are invisible to the VM.

Is there something specific I need to install to let the VM detect the devices?

thanks

Windows 7 can be tricky in supporting USB device assignment.  For the best experience, I recommend upgrading to either Windows 8.1 or Windows 10.  If these aren't options for you, the next course of action would be to pass through an entire USB Controller.  You'd most likely need to purchase a PCIe based add-on controller card and use the guide posted here to see how to pass it through:  http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=36768.0