Beginner ? Community Applications & Picking the right dockers.

helpermonkey

I've spent some time looking through the forums and there is such a wealth of information that I'm having a hard time finding the answers to some questions.

I'm running 6.1.3 and have installed Community Applications and have configured PLEX successfully. I'd like to supplement my setup with SABnzbd, SickBeard, and CouchPotato. In looking through the list of Community Applications, and there are several repositories featuring these packages. I'm having a hard time figuring out what the difference is between the various versions ... are these separate forks? if so, how can i find the one that meets my needs? For that matter, are there official builds that I can grab? Or, is there a defacto version of these programs that are wildly considered to be "the best"?

Meanwhile, I found this on the wiki and though it's dated (and full of typos), it appears to be a pretty succinct recap of what I need to do to properly get each of these setup.

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Setting_Up_SABnzbd,_SickBeard,_and_CouchPotato

That said, are there any other guides out there which outline the setup for these programs? I just don't have a ton of free time these days and want to make sure that I focus on the most efficient methods to get my system fully operational.

Cheers

If you can find all the apps you want from the same source, it will probably reduce the amount of docker space. Dockers can be built from different bases that run identical apps, so likely you won't see much difference in the apps, but you may see different strategies and update frequencies, as well as different add on's inside the dockers.

Best thing to do would be to look at the support threads for the apps you are interested in and get a feel for how they are supported and updated.

I don't know of any cohesive guides for multiple apps, as the docker arena is very new to unraid, and things are still changing and getting worked out to make them easier. Right now it's still a little bit of wild west fend for yourself, so finding an active support thread for the containers you want to use is probably the most helpful advice I can give.

All the different versions listed are all pretty much the same.  Just different underlying "philosophies" on how to build a container, but the app itself is the same.  As jonathanm stated, using apps from the same repository will save a little bit of disk space, and will also help the apps mesh properly with each other.

If I was going to start things over, I would personally use either binhex or linuxservio.io's repositories.  Forget SabNZBD and sickbeard however.  Go with NZBGet and Sonarr instead.  Pass /mnt/user (or /mnt) to each app (see the docker FAQ) for easier setup.

There is no real comprehensive guide to setting up the apps here, simply because far better resources exist for that on each app's individual project pages (hit project page within CA to go there).  But, those pages are for the app itself, not the docker implementation of it, so any questions regarding host & container volume paths should get posted somewhere in this forum.

I agree with Squid, I personally use linuxserver.io's containers wherever possible but binhex is also a very good choice.  It's not a bad idea to check the support threads and gauge how active the original author(s) are.  Binhex always provide's support and linuxserver.io is a collective of authors whom have all made their own containers and are now part of group.

As Squid says stick to one author and you'll reduce your space requirements as they can share the same base image.

I've spent some time looking through the forums and there is such a wealth of information that I'm having a hard time finding the answers to some questions.

I'm running 6.1.3 and have installed Community Applications and have configured PLEX successfully. I'd like to supplement my setup with SABnzbd, SickBeard, and CouchPotato. In looking through the list of Community Applications, and there are several repositories featuring these packages. I'm having a hard time figuring out what the difference is between the various versions ... are these separate forks? if so, how can i find the one that meets my needs? For that matter, are there official builds that I can grab? Or, is there a defacto version of these programs that are wildly considered to be "the best"?

Meanwhile, I found this on the wiki and though it's dated (and full of typos), it appears to be a pretty succinct recap of what I need to do to properly get each of these setup.

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Setting_Up_SABnzbd,_SickBeard,_and_CouchPotato

That said, are there any other guides out there which outline the setup for these programs? I just don't have a ton of free time these days and want to make sure that I focus on the most efficient methods to get my system fully operational.

Cheers

if you pick nzbget and sonnar I can help you out just recently upgrade to those and It was fairly easy

if you pick nzbget and sonnar I can help you out just recently upgrade to those and It was fairly easy

That would be awesome! Thanks. I'm going to do nzbget and sonnar - hopefully play around with it tomorrow when i've got some downtime. I'm running into some problems w/ lag on the video streams and with subtitles causing the movies to lock up, so i want to solve those problems first and then will attack the "media grabbing" portion of this project.