[Solved] Parity check about 1/2 the speed with V6...

jbuszkie

I just installed the latest V6.1 and tried a parity check...  I'm getting about ~22-24MB/sec.

It says it will take 2 days to  complete!!

With V5 it's never taken 2 days!

Is V6 expected to be slower?  My CPU is pegged.

What could be going on here?

I had this in my old go file... Does it need to be in the new one as well?

for i in /dev/md*
do
echo Setting $i
  blockdev --setra 2048 $i
  blockdev --getra $i
done

Here are the top 3 processes...

top - 16:00:12 up  1:57,  1 user,  load average: 3.08, 2.77, 2.61
Tasks: 122 total,   3 running, 119 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
Cpu(s): 10.0%us, 50.8%sy,  0.0%ni,  0.0%id,  0.0%wa,  0.0%hi, 39.2%si,  0.0%st
Mem:   2052560k total,  1050636k used,  1001924k free,   180024k buffers
Swap:        0k total,        0k used,        0k free,   534564k cached

PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND
1030 root       0 -20     0    0    0 S 38.1  0.0  15:30.87 kworker/0:1H
1543 root      20   0     0    0    0 R 27.2  0.0  11:01.18 unraidd
1433 root      20   0     0    0    0 D 18.9  0.0   7:21.20 mdrecoveryd

I didn't want to...  but it might be time to upgrade the MB and hardware! grr...  The system was stable with V5!

I just ordered a core2 quad Q8200  from ebay for $19.  What the heck..  why not. It might hold me over till I figure which new MB and processor I want!

I don't think those processors throttled back the power?  did they?

Jim

There have also been a significant number of reports of lower parity check speeds on v6 if you have a SAS2LP-MV8 disk controller.  This is an issue that Limetech have been able to reproduce and are investigating.

This seems like a big issue with the V6, i have been having slow parity check and a lot of kernal panic's with 2 of my HDD connected to the SAS2LP-MV8 been thrown on and off at random times... someone told me there is a problem with V6 supporting the SAS controller?

There have also been a significant number of reports of lower parity check speeds on v6 if you have a SAS2LP-MV8 disk controller.  This is an issue that Limetech have been able to reproduce and are investigating.

That’s true, but when the CPU is pinned to 100% like the OP most cases reported are users with single core Celerons.

If I upgrade to V6 for my #1-Home Theater Media Server, listed below is there a good chance I will see a slow down in parity checks due to The MB or CPU, which is a Sempron 140.

From the wiki:

General services (FTP, Databases, VoIP, etc.): 2GB of RAM, 1 CPU Core

I would recommend updating the wiki to maybe at least minimum requirements to be multi-core CPU. For at least new users never using and wanting to know the requirements.

If I upgrade to V6 for my #1-Home Theater Media Server, listed below is there a good chance I will see a slow down in parity checks due to The MB or CPU, which is a Sempron 140.

You shoud be ok, there's a user here with a sempron 145 and a normal 90MB/s average parity check, it appears to affect mostly lower clock single core CPUs, there's at least one report I remember of a AMD 64 @ 1.8 Ghz with same issue, CPU pinned, very slow parity check.

Parity check now in progress ... looks like it's going to be very close to what it took with v5 -- perhaps 5-10% slower, but not enough to be concerned about.    Given the very nice enhancements in v6, I'll certainly stay with it, and am indeed thinking of updating my other 2 servers as well (which I've been resisting, since they're purely used as NAS's and have been rock-solid with v5).

Parity check now in progress ... looks like it's going to be very close to what it took with v5 -- perhaps 5-10% slower, but not enough to be concerned about.    Given the very nice enhancements in v6, I'll certainly stay with it, and am indeed thinking of updating my other 2 servers as well (which I've been resisting, since they're purely used as NAS's and have been rock-solid with v5).

Multiple unraid servers for testing? What are use for multiple servers? I have so much extra hardware laying around I could build probably two low powered servers...but not sure what I would do with them.

... Multiple unraid servers for testing? What are use for multiple servers?

No, not for testing.  I actually have 4 UnRAID servers plus a couple of others I occasionally use for some testing.

My 3 "real" servers are (a) my Media server -- the first UnRAID box I built 5-6 years ago which holds all of my movie collection (4000+ DVDs plus a LOT of recorded TV);  (b) my "Misc" server where I keep images of all my PC's; images of PC's I've fixed for various friends/clients;  3 decades worth of downloads;  program CDs and DVDs (in ISO form);  backups of all of my data - pictures, music, documents, etc.;  and © my backup server -- which holds a complete backup of everything on servers (a) and (b).

In addition, I have one primary test server (#4) that I "play" a bit with for every new release; and a couple others I set up from time to time to test various functions ... i.e. I have one server with a bunch of old, small, drives that I can use to test various new features.

Until this week, only my test servers had v6 ... but I'm now rapidly moving everything that way !!

I have a Sempron 140 and upgraded from v5 to v6 and have not seen any slow down in parity checks.

Thanks good to know.

What do you have for a MB?

• 3 weeks later...