[Support] Linuxserver.io - Syncthing

linuxserver_medium.png

Application Name: Syncthing

Application Site:  https://syncthing.net/

Docker: https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/syncthing/

Github: https://github.com/linuxserver/docker-syncthing

Please post any questions/issues relating to this docker you have in this thread.

If you are not using Unraid (and you should be!) then please do not post here, instead head to linuxserver.io to see how to get support.

Edited by linuxserver.io
  • Upvote 2
  • 4 months later...

Syncthing is set to listen at tcp://0.0.0.0:22000, both officially and in the config present for this docker. But the container template is not set to forward that. I installed Syncthing yesterday and it was great, but this morning it has had connection issues. I noticed this at that time, and was wondering if it should be a part of the template?

There may be a great reason why it's not included, but I figured I would bring it up.

Edit: The documentation says to also listen to 21027 with UDP, fwiw.

Syncthing is set to listen at tcp://0.0.0.0:22000, both officially and in the config present for this docker. But the container template is not set to forward that. I installed Syncthing yesterday and it was great, but this morning it has had connection issues. I noticed this at that time, and was wondering if it should be a part of the template?

There may be a great reason why it's not included, but I figured I would bring it up.

Edit: The documentation says to also listen to 21027 with UDP, fwiw.

I've been using this since release with no problems whatsoever with just port 8384.......

Once I added the ports it started working consistently. Before, it would randomly sync(using the relay servers, most likely!), but it never maintained a constant connection to other devices, and i went a few hours where nothing worked.

Avoiding the relay servers is better anyway. Higher speeds, more direct of a connection. According to the documentation anyway.

I'm currently running gfjardim's syncthing and was wondering if the config files and database are compatible with this.  I have a few remaining dockers i would like to finally get moved over linuxserver

To be honest I'm not sure.  What I would do is either.

1.  Clean config

or

2. Install this alongside the gfjardim version and use a different container name, ports and appdata.  Then examine the appdata and compare what data is within.  With some containers it is easy to see what needs to go where so to speak.  With others, not so easy.

I'm currently running gfjardim's syncthing and was wondering if the config files and database are compatible with this.  I have a few remaining dockers i would like to finally get moved over linuxserver

1.  Clean config

or

2. Install this alongside the gfjardim version and use a different container name, ports and appdata.  Then examine the appdata and compare what data is within.  With some containers it is easy to see what needs to go where so to speak.  With others, not so easy.

Fair enough, i suppose clean config is easy enough, was just hoping it could be even easier :)  I won't answer the other 2 threads ;)

1.  Clean config

or

Fair enough, i suppose clean config is easy enough, was just hoping it could be even easier :)  I won't answer the other 2 threads ;)

I can't remember what I did to migrate to be honest.  But the 2nd option may work, I've used that approach on most containers, sonarr being one and couch another...

• 1 month later...

Any idea why this container is not getting updates? My install is at 0.12.19, but 0.12.21 is the latest release, as per https://github.com/syncthing/syncthing/releases.

There doesn't seem to be any update functionality within the container itself. I have tried stopping and restarting the container, which works for other LinuxServer.io containers like Plex, but that's not working. My log shows:

We are now refreshing packages from apt repositorys, this *may* take a while

Update: ERROR

Edit: Nevermind. I just deleted it and reinstalled, and now I'm at 0.12.21

Any idea why this container is not getting updates? My install is at 0.12.19, but 0.12.21 is the latest release, as per https://github.com/syncthing/syncthing/releases.

There doesn't seem to be any update functionality within the container itself. I have tried stopping and restarting the container, which works for other LinuxServer.io containers like Plex, but that's not working. My log shows:

We are now refreshing packages from apt repositorys, this *may* take a while

Update: ERROR

Edit: Nevermind. I just deleted it and reinstalled, and now I'm at 0.12.21

If you force update, it should update. You need to press advanced view to see it.

• 2 months later...

I am a bit ashamed to ask this as I had this problem with a previous install, posted about it, had the post answered (partially, but understood it at the time) but now I am having a similar (same?) problem and can't make heads or tails of it nor the post that helped me along before :(

So. I installed the linuxserver.io syncthing docker, seemed to go smoothly but when I go to the gui I get this error

Stopping folder "default" - mkdir /home/Sync/: permission denied

I have the volume set as /sync and the host path as /mnt/user/Test

I assume that I need to have a different path set for the volume but to be honest I have no idea what it needs to be?

• Like 1

Is there any other information I can give that would help diagnosing this easier? I am not sure about all the diff logs, Here is the syncthing docker log (I think) if that helps, if not please do let me know where another relevant log would be an I will happily copy/post it!

[5GKJB] 18:36:43 INFO: TCP listener (0.0.0.0:22000) starting

[5GKJB] 18:36:43 WARNING: Stopping folder "default" - mkdir /home/Sync/: permission denied

[5GKJB] 18:36:43 INFO: Skipping folder default scan due to folder error: mkdir /home/Sync/: permission denied

[5GKJB] 18:36:43 INFO: Device 5GKJBBP-C4CBRSP-RVQXT5W-XJHWMR4-7X4N52L-PYG3VML-IBTFGV7-SJCYTQI is "22b83a76e470" at [dynamic]

[5GKJB] 18:36:43 INFO: GUI and API listening on 0.0.0.0:8384

[5GKJB] 18:36:43 INFO: Access the GUI via the following URL: http://127.0.0.1:8384/

[5GKJB] 18:36:54 INFO: Detected 0 NAT devices

[5GKJB] 18:36:57 INFO: Joined relay relay://104.193.225.172:443

[5GKJB] 18:37:29 INFO: Skipping folder default scan due to folder error: mkdir /home/Sync/: permission denied

[5GKJB] 18:38:44 INFO: Skipping folder default scan due to folder error: mkdir /home/Sync/: permission denied

[5GKJB] 18:39:47 INFO: Skipping folder default scan due to folder error: mkdir /home/Sync/: permission denied

[5GKJB] 18:40:48 INFO: Skipping folder default scan due to folder error: mkdir /home/Sync/: permission denied

[5GKJB] 18:42:02 INFO: Skipping folder default scan due to folder error: mkdir /home/Sync/: permission denied

[5GKJB] 18:42:55 INFO: Skipping folder default scan due to folder error: mkdir /home/Sync/: permission denied

[5GKJB] 18:43:42 INFO: Skipping folder default scan due to folder error: mkdir /home/Sync/: permission denied

[5GKJB] 18:44:30 INFO: Skipping folder default scan due to folder error: mkdir /home/Sync/: permission denied

[5GKJB] 18:45:29 INFO: Skipping folder default scan due to folder error: mkdir /home/Sync/: permission denied

[5GKJB] 18:46:20 INFO: Skipping folder default scan due to folder error: mkdir /home/Sync/: permission denied

[5GKJB] 18:47:05 INFO: Skipping folder default scan due to folder error: mkdir /home/Sync/: permission denied

[5GKJB] 18:48:03 INFO: Skipping folder default scan due to folder error: mkdir /home/Sync/: permission denied

[5GKJB] 18:48:56 INFO: Skipping folder default scan due to folder error: mkdir /home/Sync/: permission denied

[5GKJB] 18:49:50 INFO: Skipping folder default scan due to folder error: mkdir /home/Sync/: permission denied

[5GKJB] 18:50:53 INFO: Skipping folder default scan due to folder error: mkdir /home/Sync/: permission denied

[5GKJB] 18:52:07 INFO: Skipping folder default scan due to folder error: mkdir /home/Sync/: permission denied

[5GKJB] 18:53:17 INFO: Skipping folder default scan due to folder error: mkdir /home/Sync/: permission denied

[5GKJB] 18:54:24 INFO: Skipping folder default scan due to folder error: mkdir /home/Sync/: permission denied

[5GKJB] 18:55:14 INFO: Skipping folder default scan due to folder error: mkdir /home/Sync/: permission denied

[5GKJB] 18:56:02 INFO: Skipping folder default scan due to folder error: mkdir /home/Sync/: permission denied

[5GKJB] 18:57:10 INFO: Skipping folder default scan due to folder error: mkdir /home/Sync/: permission denied

[5GKJB] 18:58:15 INFO: Skipping folder default scan due to folder error: mkdir /home/Sync/: permission denied

[5GKJB] 18:59:22 INFO: Skipping folder default scan due to folder error: mkdir /home/Sync/: permission denied

[5GKJB] 19:00:14 INFO: Skipping folder default scan due to folder error: mkdir /home/Sync/: permission denied

[5GKJB] 19:00:21 INFO: Exiting

Thx!

Sure!

Here is the result of the ls -ld

root@bigtower:/mnt/user# drwxrwxrwx 1 nobody users 53 Jun 27 15:41 /mnt/user/TEST//

-bash: drwxrwxrwx: command not found

and the screenshot I think you asked for is attached

Thanks in advance!

OK, few things.  First lets change to using /mnt/cache/ and not /mnt/user/ in the template.

Then let's delete the current appdata syncthing folder.

rm -rf /mnt/cache/appdata/syncthing/

Then lets make sure there are no other syncthing configs anywhere else on your array.

ls -lad /mnt/user/appdata/*

(Post the output of the above two commands in your next post.)

Also another screenshot of your syncthing setup but flick the advanced setting on...

Alright. The syncthing dir was actually in /mnt/user/appdata but anyway I tried to rm it it (using -rf) and it wouldn't let me saying there were files in it so I went into the syncthing folder del'd everthing in it (an index dir) then when back a dir and del'd the synchthing folder. I forgot to copy the output for this.

the output for the ls -lad /mnt/user/appdata/* was pretty much nil, only:

root@bigtower:/mnt# ls -lad /mnt/user/appdata/*

/bin/ls: cannot access /mnt/user/appdata/*: No such file or directory

root@bigtower:/mnt# ls -lad /mnt/user/appdata/

drwxrwxrwx 1 nobody users 6 Jun 28 08:32 /mnt/user/appdata//

root@bigtower:/mnt#

Strangely enough though syncthing still shows up under docker, I even tried restarting the server (hope that wasn't a bad idea) and it still shows up, screen shot attached.

Untitled.jpg.886f98c2b585fbc1ce7018b7d53fca8d.jpg

Alright. The syncthing dir was actually in /mnt/user/appdata but anyway I tried to rm it it (using -rf) and it wouldn't let me saying there were files in it so I went into the syncthing folder del'd everthing in it (an index dir) then when back a dir and del'd the synchthing folder. I forgot to copy the output for this.

the output for the ls -lad /mnt/user/appdata/* was pretty much nil, only:

root@bigtower:/mnt# ls -lad /mnt/user/appdata/*

/bin/ls: cannot access /mnt/user/appdata/*: No such file or directory

root@bigtower:/mnt# ls -lad /mnt/user/appdata/

drwxrwxrwx 1 nobody users 6 Jun 28 08:32 /mnt/user/appdata//

root@bigtower:/mnt#

Strangely enough though syncthing still shows up under docker, I even tried restarting the server (hope that wasn't a bad idea) and it still shows up, screen shot attached.

Something is not right with your setup, I just don't know what.  Delete the appdata and the docker image.  That's the reason it's still in the webui.  There are two parts to removing a docker completely.

1.  Deleting all the appdata

2.  Deleting the container

You've only done the first.

Image!! doh! ok, I am not sure if it was in a place it wasn't supposed to be but regardless, I wasn't paying attention. There was a docker.img file in /mnt/user/ so I nuked that and that seems to have done the trick screenshot attached.

Thnx (and thanks for your patience)

The docker.img file is the virtual drive which will hold all the docker containers.  There was no need to nuke that.  Just needed to click the syncthing docker icon and then select remove.  :o

Doh... well its done, docker isn't there.

Got your PM, will probably take you up on your offer.

In the meantime, your bit about a cache drive made me think no better time than the present to start one (didn't have one before). I am guessing I didn't have to go that route (ie another way) but figured, why not? I had a drive in the array that was quite a bit smaller so I went through the steps to remove it and turn it into a cache drive. As it was recommended that I do a parity check I am running that now and the est is a few day (am guessing its due to the combo of slow computer, small amt ram, lots of drives, etc?)

Anyway, its plugging along so I'll post when I've got things ready to take the next step.

Thanks!!

I went through the steps to remove it and turn it into a cache drive. As it was recommended that I do a parity check I am running that now and the est is a few day (am guessing its due to the combo of slow computer, small amt ram, lots of drives, etc?)
Which steps exactly? If you didn't do a parity sync, and instead told it to trust parity and are now doing a correcting check, that would explain the slowness. As a general rule, when you remove drives from the protected array, you can't trust parity and need to do a fresh parity build, then after that is complete you should do a check, correcting or non your choice.