[Support] Linuxserver.io - Syncthing

I am not sure if I should create a new post and reply to this one. I am installed the Linuxserver Syncthing. It works, but got some issues. I mapped the /sync to my share folder /mnt/user/Cloud/syncthing. However, when I create a folder via web UI, the "Folder Path" is /config. If I leave this to default, my share folder will be created on /mnt/cache/appdata/syncthing/folder-name. The fix that I have is to manually change the /config to /sync. 

Is this a normal behavior?

I am not sure if I should create a new post and reply to this one. I am installed the Linuxserver Syncthing. It works, but got some issues. I mapped the /sync to my share folder /mnt/user/Cloud/syncthing. However, when I create a folder via web UI, the "Folder Path" is /config. If I leave this to default, my share folder will be created on /mnt/cache/appdata/syncthing/folder-name. The fix that I have is to manually change the /config to /sync. 

Is this a normal behavior?
Yes, you need to manually change it

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I got the syncthing docker up and running in a breeze. I can navigate through to the web ui, detect other synchting servers etc.

However, I face some major permission issue on unraid. This is 2 folds:

1) The syncthing appdata folder cant be open as I get permission issue (You do not have permission error shown in Windows file explorer)

2) The /sync folder that is mapped to my array /mnt/user/Movies/test also is unaccesible via SMB. FYI I mapped the test subfolder under my main Movies folder. The whole movie folder is working as normal with full RW access, but the subfolder 'test' created by syncthing, I cant rename/delete/add any files. Any other new sync folder that I create, also experience the same problem.

Some checking I did:

I did docker-shell to syncthing to run ps aux | grep syncthing, and I noticed it is running as user abc with correct UID 99 and GID 100. 

Then what is causing blocking permission from syncthing appdata folder and the mapped /sync folder on my array?

p/s: I am running the docker with the default template with no changes at all. Network is bridge, privileged is off.

31 minutes ago, CHBMB said:

UID 99 and UID 100 are the correct file perms for Unraid.  Sounds like the perms issues are withing Windows SMB rather than Unraid.

Hmm...Thats just surprising. As with any other docker, 99/100 permission allows me to browser through its appdata and the mounted shares.

I did some further check, where I did a manual install of https://hub.docker.com/r/syncthing/syncthing/ docker, which is the official one I suppose.

With this docker, the mounted share and the new file and folders created by syncthing are accessible and editable via windows SMB. I am testing all through the same array path and accessing on the same windows pc. What other issue can it be?

Btw, is there any modification/optimization to linuxserver docker of syncthing compared to the official one? I just don't want to miss any features.

Thank you.

• 1 month later...

I have syncthing setup and working perfectly but I need to add another share to give syncthing access.

Right now I have "/mnt/user/unRAID/" set as "/sync" in Host Path 2.  I would like to change that to "mnt/user/" to give access to other shares.  Is this possible without the docker reinstalling and losing the current settings?  I've made similar changes to other docker containers and it's resulted in losing all the settings and the container installing fresh.  

Having the same issues as hus2020, the appdata/syncthing folder cannot be access via Windows (Windows 10 Pro x64 in my case) even though permissions are 99/100 (default). I have also tried forcing a umask of 000. The docker itself works fine, unRAID can access everything. If I want to back up the appdata, I must run a permission script on the folder, and then when I relaunch the Syncthing I lose access to that folder again.

Edit 1: Just set this up on my friends server, and his has the same problem. I wonder if it has to do with a custom appdata directory? I use a share called "Stationary" which is a cache only share. The share is set to "Secure", with 1 user having read/write.

EDIT 2: To clarify, this does not happen with your qBitorrent, Sonarr, and NZBGet dockers. 

Edited by tyrindor
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Snipe3000 said:

Oddest thing. Installed syncthing. Got it working with another PC. worked for about 15 minutes. Now It shows disconnected and no matter what I do, I can't get it to connect again. How is this possible?

The magic smoke escaped.....

Seriously, completely unable to help with the info provided.

• 2 weeks later...

any idea why on the 'root' folder of the synched files I can write like any other unraid share but if I move in one step then I can write?

Im running the latest docker and all setting on default.. 

/sync is mapped to /mnt/user/VMShare

If I do touch file inside /mnt/user/VMShare/FOLDER/ Im not allowed.

All other /mnt/user/* share are ok and tested on OSX, WIN and Linux SMB clients. 

Thanks

any idea why on the 'root' folder of the synched files I can write like any other unraid share but if I move in one step then I can write?
Im running the latest docker and all setting on default.. 
/sync is mapped to /mnt/user/VMShare

If I do touch file inside /mnt/user/VMShare/FOLDER/ Im not allowed.
All other /mnt/user/* share are ok and tested on OSX, WIN and Linux SMB clients. 

Thanks
Permissions required by Syncthing not compatible with SMB clients I guess.
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Very basic. I'm trying to set up Syncthing to sync between two unRaid installations. I want to be able to sync any of my shares.

For the container, I set AppData Config Path: /mnt/user/appdata/syncthing

Assume I want to sync say, /mnt/user/media

What do I put for Host Path 2?

Then, when I specify a sync folder, what do I put for Folder Path?

I've tried various permutations without any luck so far.

Thanks, Richard

Host Path 2 = /mnt/user/media

Appdata = wherever you keep your appdata in a subfolder called syncthing?  Generally this is auto completed for you based on settings in the docker section on Unraid

Folder path = container path = /whateveryouwanttocallit host path = /mnt/user/whateverlocationyouwant

I managed to get this to sync with my devices perfectly over LAN using the info I provided below.

But I still have one problem. I am unable to directly add a file to a folder via Windows Explorer on my SMB share. That is, I cannot drag and drop a photo into the
//Server/Storage/sync/My_Folder directory to be sent to my other devices. It says "permission denied" in Windows. How do I fix this?

Just letting you guys know. I had to swap my interface from "Bridge" to "br0" for this to work properly. Otherwise I also got the issue with it not connecting ever again after 15 mins. Also disabled the relay on all of my devices to first properly work out the LAN issues I was having, because if after a certain time a LAN connection can't be made it'll just move to using a relay and it's sort of hard to work out if it's using the relay (gotta scour the log, or look at the slow speed etc). In addition to that I added the port "22010" to the port mappings before installing the Docker app. Then I changed the listen address in the app to "TCP 22010" because having it set as "default" causes a "connected to myself, not supposed to happen" error every 60 seconds.

Then I set the listen address on each of my devices as follows TCP 22011, 22012 etc. and port forwarded these over my router. Not sure if I had to do these 2 steps but I did it anyway.

After this I re-enabled the relay so my files can sync when I am away from home. Over LAN I'm able to get just up to 50MB/s transfer speeds (Smartphone is the bottleneck) which is much, much higher than Nextcloud which used to only get me about 10MB/s. Probably due to less overhead and not having to write to a DB etc.

Hope this helps someone and thanks for providing this app.

Edited by NewKrewLinux
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have been using Syncthing fore while and have been loving it. Came across my first big issue that is really stumping me at the moment and I need a little guidance.

I recently moved from running Syncthing on a windows box to a docker on my unRaid server. Everything is setup, folders set, ports forwarded, running off an ssd and all downloads run through the ssd.

I can’t for the life of me see why i am limited to only 10Mbps download rate on this machine while all my other boxes in this house and offsite all connected to the same seedbox can saturate my internet connection at 100-113Mbps.

I have relaying disabled. Docker is set to bridged network mode (changing to host to to a physical bridge doesn’t improve performance)

Dual Xeon E5-2670 v2 processors 64GB RAM 1TB ssd with syncthing data

pprof debug since cpu never goes above 5% attached

also cross posted to Syncthing support just in case its a syncthing issue and not something with the docker/unRaid

syncthing-cpu-linux-amd64-v0.14.48-102834.zip

EDIT: Doesn't seem to be my internet as putting syncthing back on a windows machine and trying to sync the same folder as i am trying to do with unraid runs at full speed. issue is limited to the syncthing docker i believe. 

Edited by stetay2233
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/3/2018 at 1:02 PM, stetay2233 said:

I have been using Syncthing fore while and have been loving it. Came across my first big issue that is really stumping me at the moment and I need a little guidance.

I recently moved from running Syncthing on a windows box to a docker on my unRaid server. Everything is setup, folders set, ports forwarded, running off an ssd and all downloads run through the ssd.

I can’t for the life of me see why i am limited to only 10Mbps download rate on this machine while all my other boxes in this house and offsite all connected to the same seedbox can saturate my internet connection at 100-113Mbps.

I have relaying disabled. Docker is set to bridged network mode (changing to host to to a physical bridge doesn’t improve performance)

also cross posted to Syncthing support just in case its a syncthing issue and not something with the docker/unRaid

EDIT: Doesn't seem to be my internet as putting syncthing back on a windows machine and trying to sync the same folder as i am trying to do with unraid runs at full speed. issue is limited to the syncthing docker i believe. 

anyone have any ideas?

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/3/2018 at 1:02 PM, stetay2233 said:

I'm also having the same issue. Moving from Windows to unraid, and everything seems to be working well except for Syncthing, which won't go above 10 Mbps. On my Windows machine it easily does 200 Mbps syncing the same folder.

• 2 months later...