A little confused V5 to V6 and upgrade of parity drive

After much hand wringing and gnashing of teeth I am running on V6.1.3.  The problem was an inability to boot from the flash until I upgraded the Bios.

I copied over my disk.CFG net.cfg and shares folders file as instructed but for some reason all drives came up as unassigned. 

The Parity drive as SDA (I wrote that all down and took a screen snapshot) and it is 2 TB as are most of the other drives. I have in the server two new drives at 3TB, One pre-cleared, and one not.  I plan to do the following as all drives are currently unassigned:

1. Assign the raw (not pre-cleared) drive as the new Parity drive.

2. Leave the old parity drive Unassigned for now

3. Leave the pre-cleared 3TB Drive as unassigned. 

4. Assign all the other drives (2 TB) to the role they had in 5.0.6

Is the above correct or should I be doing something else in addition?  Do I need to start a parity check with all corrections going to the parity drive  to get the parity drive rebuilt?

Do I have to run permissions as I am coming from 5.0.6 and if so when?

Great support from all my un-known friends who have assisted me.  The only problem I have with unRaid is that I forget too much between those times I have to touch it.  In my world it stays up for years. The last cycle before I started this had an up-time of 286 days

TIA Barry

If you follow the steps you outline, then unRAID will simply start a parity build when you start the array.  When the parity build completes you might want to run a parity check to confirm that the build was error free.

Only comment is that since you have not run pre-clear against the drive that you intend to use as a parity drive it has not yet been stress tested, and the parity build may show up some hardware issue (although hopefully not) that a pre-clear would have caught.

"... The Parity drive as SDA (I wrote that all down and took a screen snapshot) and it is 2 TB as are most of the other drives.  " ==> The drive designator may change ... hopefully you have the serial # of the drive, as that is the best way to identify it.  [since you have a screen snapshot you clearly do.]

I'd do basically what you suggested => simply assign all of the data drives (in whatever slots you want); assign one of the 3TB drives as parity; and then Start the array and let it do the parity sync.    When that completes, do a parity check to confirm it went well.    [Note:  You can use either your pre-cleared drive or the other one ... doing a parity sync on the drive and then a parity check is a very good test of the drive.]

Then you can add the other 2 drives (other 3TB and old parity) to the array.