Backup unraid config

Ryan2207

You can actually make a copy of your flash over the network and that's the way I usually do it. The flash drive can be shared over the network (I have mine shared hidden). flash is the only share that is still available even with the array stopped.

You should stop the array when you make the copy since unRAID also stores the run/stop status of the array in config/super.dat

If you try to boot from a copy that had the array running, unRAID will assume an unclean shutdown and start a parity check.

Also, be very careful and never boot from a copy that doesn't have the current array configuration. The disk assignments are also stored in config/super.dat

There has been more than one incident where a user restored a copy of the flash from a backup that didn't have the current disk assignments. In some instances, the user had re-used a parity drive for data, but the old configuration still showed that disk as parity and unRAID clobbered the data by writing parity to it.

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...

I'm trying to copy the config from the production USB drive to a backup USB drive.  The production drive became unlicensed when updated to v6.4.1, so I'm hoping to move the config across to another (licensed) drive and get my server going again while I sort out the delicensing problem with Lime.

3 minutes ago, MPR Files said:

I'm trying to copy the config from the production USB drive to a backup USB drive.  The production drive became unlicensed when updated to v6.4.1, so I'm hoping to move the config across to another (licensed) drive and get my server going again while I sort out the delicensing problem with Lime.

You just need to copy the config folder except the key, the key needs to be from the new flash.