Used - SUPERMICRO AOC-SASLP-MV8 PCIe x4 $32 + $5 Shiiping

That is indeed a very good price for that card ... especially if you're buying it as a spare and don't need to buy a cable set.

It's inexpensive enough it's not a bad "interim solution" for those with SAS2LP cards who are having issues with 6.1.3 ... this would resolve it until (hopefully) the SAS2LP issues are resolved and you can start using the newer/faster card again.

That is indeed a very good price for that card ... especially if you're buying it as a spare and don't need to buy a cable set.

It's inexpensive enough it's not a bad "interim solution" for those with SAS2LP cards who are having issues with 6.1.3 ... this would resolve it until (hopefully) the SAS2LP issues are resolved and you can start using the newer/faster card again.

BUT if i am not mistaken these only support drives up to 2TB not ?

BUT if i am not mistaken these only support drives up to 2TB not ?

No, that's not an issue.    The SASLP-MV8's work fine with any size drive you want to use.

Last night I installed the one I got... I copied some stuff over, and the Mbps I was getting from a Midnight Commander copy job was all over the place. As high as 110, and as low 20 (even 1.1 but I think that was a fluke)... Is this normal? I upgraded from cheap $20 Syba PCI 1.5Gbs cards using the Sil 3114 chipset. I did not take note of speeds prior to upgrade.

I am on latest 6.1.3

Thanks,

H.

How well does ESX pass through work with these controllers?

With the version 1 card you need to set msiEnable=FALSE in the VMX in ESXi 5.0 to get them not to pink screen ESXi.  Not sure it is still necessary with newer versions of ESXi.

here are the instructions: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=7914.msg128847#msg128847

Edit: I actually think this was still true for all version of ESXi 5.x but I only have experience with 5.0.  No idea about 6.0 but it is likely to still be needed.