Gui for Cron

I have a thought. I admit most of the time i am not supposed to, however it would be nice if we had a way to automate a few scripts to run at certain times.  We already have a scheduler, if we could add custom paths for scripts we create it would be helpful.  For example parity and mover can already be scheduled, as well as notifications for updated plugins and dockers.  what if we could point to the path of scripts that have our backup script for the flash or the apps? Or some other script we would want to schedule?

thoughts?

Did you have a look at the Dynamix schedules plugin, see here.

I did install it but and put a cron file in the powerdown folder and it did shut down but I can not find where I would have any control over it on the web GUI..

What am I missing?

These are two separate things.

The plugin provides a GUI to change execution times of scripts/commands placed in /etc/cron.hourly, /etc/cron.daily, /etc/cron.weekly or /etc/cron.monthly. It is a manual action to place or remove a script/command in one of these folders though.

The <name>.cron file mechanism provides a means to write your own cron entries, which are automatically added upon system startup. For each entry you have to specify yourself the execution time(s) and script/command.

• 10 months later...

Raising this old thread from the dead.

After looking at this, there are a few options for managing Cron jobs:

1.  Manually using crontab.  Not really recommended given other better options.

2. Manually add in scripts into /etc/cron.hourly, /etc/cron.daily, /etc/cron.weekly or /etc/cron.monthly.  Not recommended, this is not easier than other options.

3. Put cron scripts into /boot/config somethere (e.g. /boot/config/plugins/custom_cron/). These scripts are all automatically loaded on system start into /etc/cron.d/root/.  If you make changes and want them applied, just run the command update_cron which reloads all the custom crons in /boot/config/plugins/custom_cron/).

4. Use the User Scripts plugin.  This creates a folder /boot/config/plugins/user.scripts/ with a sub-folder called scripts.  For each script, you create a sub-folder in /boot/config/plugins/user.scripts/scripts/, containing 2 files: Description and ScriptDescription is the 1 line description of the script that shows in the UI.  The Script is the actual script.  There is then a UI in the Unraid WebUI that allows you to run it one-off in foreground or background and supports custom scheduling using cron syntax. Best of every world. This is the best option and works even for the latest version of unraid (6.8.0 as of my last edit)

AD9FOqe.png&key=085bc2b67a2983eb3f7dda489418286470025a022b606cbcfe55db3a45313c12

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 7 years later...