plex segfault error

hi all, have had a working system for a few years now!  today 'out of the blue' plex crashed while i was watching a show'.  i tried a few things, including reinstalling.  I have been trying to reinstall by dropping the latest package in the boot extra folder.  Upon reboot, get the following error:

Oct 5 07:32:01 Tower pms: Starting Plex...

Oct 5 07:32:01 Tower su[16412]: Successful su for unraid-plex by root

Oct 5 07:32:01 Tower su[16412]: + ??? root:unraid-plex

Oct 5 07:32:03 Tower pms: Plex Media Server IS running

Oct 5 07:32:14 Tower sudo: root : TTY=console ; PWD=/tmp ; USER=nobody ; COMMAND=/usr/bin/python -OO /usr/local/sabnzbd/SABnzbd.py -d -s 0.0.0.0:9090 --config-file /mnt/cache/apps/sabnzbd --pid /var/run/sabnzbd/ > /dev/null 2>&1

Oct 5 07:32:17 Tower kernel: Plex Media Serv[16501]: segfault at a500f0c0 ip a500f0c0 sp a5fff034 error 15

any advice?

edit:  log added

hmmm i tried the phaze plugin, but i must be doing something wrong.  when i reboot it is not installed.  i have had problems in the past dowloading plg files, when i right click and 'save link as' it wants to create a text file.  the downloaded file was plexmediaserver.plg.txt.  i edited the file name to just be plexmediaserver.plg, and copied to config plugins folder, rebooted but it did not install

i can use a program called 'plex updater' which shows its not installed.  then it is installed, and says its running.  but i cannot access it!!!  other programs like sab and sickbeard are working fine.  when i go to plex under the setting of the GUI, it says running.  when i try to access the plex interface (through an app, or the web interface) it seems to connect for about 2 seconds then i get a message which says 'Tower went away'

its like it can't hold the connection?  any thoughts on what to do?

syslog-20151005-093049.zip

well i'm at a total loss.  i deleted all plex files from the cache drive, boot extra folder etc.  rebooted, plex not installed as I expected

tried reinstalling by dropping current package into the boot extra folder.  then rebooted.  on boot, i can see its installed from the settings menu. 

However, it says stopped.  i try to choose 'enable plex media server' to YES, however it won't say started

any clues on where to go from here?  previously thought it might be a permissions issue, or a corrupt library, but i've eliminated those by running new perms (took several hours although i have a large collection).  then deleted library.  I imagine i have a couple of days waiting to rebuild a library IF i could ever get plex running and or access the web gui for plex!!!

please, any suggestions welcome!!

ok after rebooting probably 12 times with various configurations, plugins, etc.  seems to be up again.  need to now readd all media.  i guess i have lost which shows i've watched etc

wish i could actually leave some advice on what fixed it.  if i recall I uninstalled all plex plugins from extra and config folders.  then deleted install and library directories.  rebooted.  then installed fresh latest version and seems to be working

i'm sure i did this a few times beforehand, but this last time seemed to 'take'

• 1 year later...

I have the same error...

Mar 30 02:04:51 unRAID kernel: Plex Media Scan[11495]: segfault at 0 ip (null) sp 00007f6f0a7fe8d8 error 14 in Plex Media Scanner[400000+42e000]
Mar 30 02:06:47 unRAID kernel: Plex Media Scan[12145]: segfault at 0 ip (null) sp 00007fdd157fe8d8 error 14 in Plex Media Scanner[400000+42e000]
Mar 30 02:07:07 unRAID kernel: Plex Media Scan[12226]: segfault at 7f23cbb19d89 ip 00007f238917542c sp 00007f2383bfd640 error 4 in libjemalloc.so.1[7f23890da000+133000]

unraid-diagnostics-20170330-0330.zip

I have gotten that error in my Plex also and found numerous articles from a google search. One that peaked my interest was from moving files around on server. I have been clearing data off drives and converting to XFS format and think Plex may not scan all the correct paths back for the media. 

I know that even with the error my Plex has still performed ok.

Harro and principis, you have posted in a very old thread about a very old version, Plex in v5, which was 32 bit, very different from what you are running.  At that time, they had never heard of Dockers or diagnostics or XFS.  Please post again in the support thread for the particular Plex you have installed.

8 hours ago, RobJ said:

Harro and principis, you have posted in a very old thread about a very old version, Plex in v5, which was 32 bit, very different from what you are running.  At that time, they had never heard of Dockers or diagnostics or XFS.  Please post again in the support thread for the particular Plex you have installed.

Sorry I thought it was from this year... I think I accidentaly clicked the wrong topic after I logged in.