[Support] Linuxserver.io - OpenVPN AS

3 hours ago, gacpac said:

I tried in bridge and host and the route will never be added to the network settings. But that was using 6.7.0rc2 i downgraded back. I'll test again and is stable

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

What do you mean by route never got added to the network?

What do you mean by route never got added to the network?
Well.

When you go settings > network settings

Then you scroll down to routing table and you should be able to see

Route (VPN server ipaddress).
Gateway (tun0)
Metric (1)

If this information is not added then your VPN server won't know where to go.

3 hours ago, gacpac said:

Well.

When you go settings > network settings

Then you scroll down to routing table and you should be able to see

Route (VPN server ipaddress).
Gateway (tun0)
Metric (1)

If this information is not added then your VPN server won't know where to go.

Do you mean in the unraid gui?

No, you won't see the tun interface in the unraid gui because the interface is inside the container. Vpn knows where to go because you are mapping ports. It goes through the docker bridge network on the host.

Did you actually try connecting or are you hypothesizing?

Edited by aptalca
2 minutes ago, aptalca said:

Do you mean in the unraid gui?

No, you won't see the tun interface in the unraid gui because the interface is inside the container. Vpn knows where to go because you are mapping ports. It goes through the docker bridge network on the host.

Did you actually try connecting or are you hypothesizing?

Actually, it's supposed to create a route automatically. Now in version 6.6.6 it's working perfectly

image.thumb.png.b7eced754ead5cbbf0a62b7d56baa5cc.png

And it has to show. If it doesn't show then the network is not created, meaning it won't connect.

On 1/27/2019 at 8:49 PM, gacpac said:

Sorry. The docker starts and everything but it doesn't connect, and the route is also gone from the network settings. I literally rolled back and started working again. 

I also had this issue with 6.7.0.  I was unable to connect after upgrading, but it works fine after downgrading back to 6.6.6

• Upvote 1
On 2/1/2019 at 8:20 PM, aptalca said:

For anyone who's having issues with openvpn on unraid 6.7 rc, switch it to run in bridge networking, remove the INTERFACE variable setting or set it to eth0 (default) and map the ports 943 and 9443 for tcp and 1194 for udp

Thanks!  This solved my problems.  I left the INTERFACE variable alone (it was set to eth0 anyway) and changed the network type from Host to Bridge , saved the changes and openvpn-as started working perfectly again 🙂

• Like 1
On 2/2/2019 at 3:20 AM, aptalca said:

For anyone who's having issues with openvpn on unraid 6.7 rc, switch it to run in bridge networking, remove the INTERFACE variable setting or set it to eth0 (default) and map the ports 943 and 9443 for tcp and 1194 for udp

Perfect.. worked after deleting the interface variable and switching to BRIDGE... 

• Like 1

Hey, bit of a noob here, thanks for the great work!  I am curently running a Pi-Hole container with it's own IP address and its working great with all connected devices - locally and externally.  The openvpn-AS server is also working great when not altering the client's DNS server settings.  The issue I am querying is when I set custom DNS to Pi-Hole's internal IP address and connect from outside the network, I connect to the VPN, but i cannot then connect back out to the internet.  The only change I have made is under "VPN settings" and "Have clients use specific DNS servers", from which I enter the local IP of my PI-Hole server.

I am trying to connect with Android 8.1 and I am using OpenVPN for android app.  I had also set the DNS in the settings within the config on android but that makes no difference.  I can get logs if required.  Any idea in what direction to move would be appreciated!

Many thanks in advance!

Edited by Brawbag
spelling
On 1/30/2019 at 12:57 AM, gacpac said:

Actually, it's supposed to create a route automatically. Now in version 6.6.6 it's working perfectly

image.thumb.png.b7eced754ead5cbbf0a62b7d56baa5cc.png

And it has to show. If it doesn't show then the network is not created, meaning it won't connect.

Umm, that's a no.

In bridge mode, connection goes from whatever network unraid uses, to the docker network, to the container through mapped ports, and inside the container it goes to the tun device. The tun device is not exposed to the host. 

I assure you my unraid knows nothing about a tun device and I have no problems connecting to vpn inside the container.

Like I said before, you should test it instead of just hypothesizing.

Umm, that's a no.

In bridge mode, connection goes from whatever network unraid uses, to the docker network, to the container through mapped ports, and inside the container it goes to the tun device. The tun device is not exposed to the host. 

I assure you my unraid knows nothing about a tun device and I have no problems connecting to vpn inside the container.

Like I said before, you should test it instead of just hypothesizing.
Well I looked at other users and it seemed to eb an issue when the docker is connected to the host network, which creates a tun route. I tried on bridge mode and it works. Same as the other users

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/2/2019 at 3:20 AM, aptalca said:

Hi,

I tried this with no luck (connection refused) but oddly I'm having the same problem with Plex (connection refused).

I've tried different combinations of settings including other builds and can see port mappings and unlike other dockers on the machine (CA Advisor, emby, duplicati) which just seem to work I'm getting no where.

The other strange thing was that Plex (which may be a red hearning) was working.

I'm on 6.7.0-rc4 

Thanks

Terran

Edit .... Plex aside I've got openvpn back but had to remove the docker and then the appdata folder then reinstall. Some thing must have gone screwy :)

T

Edited by ccsnet

I am trying to get this setup.  I have logged into the OpenVPN however I am getting this error.  Are there any suggestions for getting this to start?  I am trying to get it working on my Android Phone

Error: cannot locate HMAC in incoming packet from [AF_INET}] XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:1194

Edited by mgranger
On 2/1/2019 at 10:20 PM, aptalca said:

Worked for me on 6.7.0rc4.  thanks!

• trurl pinned and unpinned this topic