First unRAID build - 24 drive

First off, I'm new here, so hello. I've been lurking for a while and have read what seems like 1000's of pages. Great community here with lots of knowledge!

To cut to the chase, I'm out of space on my QNAP NAS. It's a TS-412 and has worked great for my needs. Basically network storage and the occasional streaming of video to one of my 2 AppleTV's in the house. I MAY do some computer backups in the future, but for now I have dedicated drives for that. I also run a web server, SQL server & VPN server from the QNAP. Mainly just to play around with and test things. 99% of the use is storage.  I will most likely use my dedicated Poweredge server for virtualization and the other stuff. Plus I'd like to use it as my own private dropbox like service.

Bottom line, I want a low power system (will stay on nearly 24/7) that will store all my media and stream the occasional movie/tv show to the AppleTV's. I'm not going to populate all 24 drives at once, but I drives and drives of stuff that I'd like to get in one location.

OS at time of building: unRAID 6 Pro

CPU: Intel Core i3-4130T Haswell Dual-Core 2.9 GHz

Motherboard: Supermicro MBD-X10SLL-F-O uATX

RAM: Kingston 8GB DDR3 ECC Unbuffered SDRAM

Case: SuperMicro SC846E1-R900B (or similar from ebay) OR Norco 4224

Power Supply: SuperMicro will come with (2) 900w. Not sure yet on a PSU if I go with the Norco case.

SATA Expansion Card(s): SYBA SI-PEX40071 8 Internal SATA Port Card OR Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Add Ons Planned: preclear, unMenu, cache_dirs

Main questions are:

Is the CPU/Mobo combo sufficient for my needs?

What SATA card should I go with?

• 2 months later...

I'm new to unRAID but familiar to the Supermicro chassis as I have 5 of the 846's. So my first question would be which backplane are you looking at for that 846 chassis?

One thing to keep in mind is those power supplies are absolute screamers. Again from experience. I actually converted one of my chassis over to a standard ATX power supply today. Now it's silent and reduced the consumption by 30 Watts.

I would stay away from the Norco chassis. Not to be rude to anyone reading this but Norco chassis are not even close in build quality compared to the Supermicro chassis.

I'm new to unRAID but familiar to the Supermicro chassis as I have 5 of the 846's. So my first question would be which backplane are you looking at for that 846 chassis?

One thing to keep in mind is those power supplies are absolute screamers. Again from experience. I actually converted one of my chassis over to a standard ATX power supply today. Now it's silent and reduced the consumption by 30 Watts.

I would stay away from the Norco chassis. Not to be rude to anyone reading this but Norco chassis are not even close in build quality compared to the Supermicro chassis.

Norco cases are plenty good enough for home Nas/media server use.  It might not be as heavily built or have drive failure lights but they are also about 1/3rd the cost.