Config File Format

eph85

I just finished upgrading from 4.7 to 6.1.3.  So far everything has been working OK, and I have even successfully replaced the parity drive and two data drivers with larger ones.  This week I copied new files to the server for the first time since the upgrade, and discovered that the mover did move any of the files from the cache drive.  In the log file I see

Oct 10 23:54:09 Rama logger: mover started

Oct 10 23:54:09 Rama logger: skipping "Movies"

Oct 10 23:54:09 Rama logger: mover finished

I looked at the mover script and discovered it is not working because when it reads the config file for the share (Movies.cfg) it is looking for parameters in quotes, while in the Movies.cfg file, the parameters are not in quotes.  Once I made a change to the share configuration in unRAID and saved it, the configuration file was rewritten with all the parameters in quotes. I haven't tried the mover yet but I assume that it will now now work properly.

I checked all the other config files.  Those that I had changed in unRAID after the upgrade all had quotes around the parameters.  The ones that I had not changed did not have quotes.

I have two questions:

- Did I miss a step in any of the upgrades? I've reread all the documentation but haven't found any information about the changes in the config file format.

- Can I correct all the config files just by making a config change in unRAID and saving? I assume that this is OK but I wanted to make sure.

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

The quotes added in v6 should not matter.  They are used in Linux to force terms with white space to be considered a single parameter.  Without quotes in v5, you couldn't add a share name with spaces.  In v6, quotes are added by default, and automatically stripped on use.  In normal Linux string usage, "Movies" and Movies Old are the same term, and depending on the tool or command, Old would either be ignored or cause an error.  "Movies" and "Movies Old" are different terms.  The quotes are required for the second, allowed but not needed and ignored for the first.  It's just safer now, to put quotes around everything.

If "Movies" was skipped, I believe that usually means it found nothing to move in the Movies share, from the Cache drive.  So if it should have moved something, then there's a different issue to solve.

There are some differences with the way mover works now.

There are 3 possible user share settings for Use cache disk: Yes, No, or Only. The default setting is No. Mover will only move files if that setting is Yes. This can perhaps have an unexpected result if you explicitly write files to the cache disk.

Movies set to cache-only: Files written to /mnt/user/Movies will go to cache and not be moved. Files written to /mnt/cache/Movies will not be moved.

Movies set to cache-yes: Files written to /mnt/user/Movies will go to cache and will be moved. Files written to /mnt/cache/Movies will be moved.

Movies set to cache-no: Files written to /mnt/user/Movies will not go to cache. Files written to /mnt/cache/Movies will go to cache and will not be moved.

I had exact same problem I *think* since I upgraded to 6.1.2

The mover script moved Movies ok but NOT TV Shows

My Movies.cfg file..

# Generated settings:
shareComment=""
shareInclude=""
shareExclude=""
shareUseCache="yes"
shareAllocator="highwater"
shareSplitLevel="4"
shareFloor="41943040"
shareExport="e"
shareSecurity="public"
shareReadList=""
shareWriteList=""
shareExportNFS="-"
shareExportNFSFsid="0"
shareSecurityNFS="public"
shareHostListNFS=""
shareExportAFP="-"
shareSecurityAFP="public"
shareReadListAFP=""
shareWriteListAFP=""
shareVolsizelimitAFP=""

My TV Shows.cfg file....

# Generated settings:
shareExport=e
shareExportNfs=
shareExportNfsFsid=0
shareComment=
shareValidUsers=
shareInvalidUsers=
shareExceptions=
shareInclude=
shareExclude=
shareUseCache=yes
shareAllocator=highwater
shareSplitLevel=3
shareFloor=20971520

So I changed the cache drive from 'Yes' to 'Only' saved and changed back to 'Yes'

Now TV Shows.cfg looks like this

# Generated settings:
shareComment=""
shareInclude=""
shareExclude=""
shareUseCache="yes"
shareCOW="auto"
shareAllocator="highwater"
shareSplitLevel="3"
shareFloor="20971520"
shareExport="e"
shareSecurity="public"
shareReadList=""
shareWriteList=""
shareExportNFS="-"
shareExportNFSFsid="0"
shareSecurityNFS="public"
shareHostListNFS=""
shareExportAFP="-"
shareSecurityAFP="public"
shareReadListAFP=""
shareWriteListAFP=""
shareVolsizelimitAFP=""
shareVoldbpathAFP=""

Re-ran mover script and its now moving them all ok... is this a bug?

Thanks for this, sorted my issue out  :)