USB Headset Passthrough for Windows 10 KVM - Audio Static

Did the Nvidia audio ever exhibit similar static? Can you confirm that the Nvidia static actually went away with MSI enabled?

Because I spent hours thinking it was just my usb headset. Removed it, and now I have the exact same issue on the HDMI audio. DPC latency is coming back terrible. I'll follow your thread closely.

I had similar problem,

Whenever I wanted to use my front usb with my usb headset I get to hear a lot of static noise.

This comes from bad isolated wires/bad wires/connector, I fixed my issue by temporary using the back used which are directly connected to the motherboard and then I changed the wire in the whole case which fixed my problem. :/

It might also affect any kind of data transmission in those USB.

(It also caused me issues when I connected USB keys in the past.)

I had similar problem,

Whenever I wanted to use my front usb with my usb headset I get to hear a lot of static noise.

This comes from bad isolated wires/bad wires/connector, I fixed my issue by temporary using the back used which are directly connected to the motherboard and then I changed the wire in the whole case which fixed my problem. :/

You should be able to experience hardware related noise as you describe whether there's virtualization going on or not. If the OP used that exact headset, port, and OS (bare metal) without issue, it points towards kvm or config. That's what's going on with mine at least.

Did the Nvidia audio ever exhibit similar static? Can you confirm that the Nvidia static actually went away with MSI enabled?

Because I spent hours thinking it was just my usb headset. Removed it, and now I have the exact same issue on the HDMI audio. DPC latency is coming back terrible. I'll follow your thread closely.

The Nvidia audio had the similar static, but I fixed that by enabling MSI and no more static (it isn't perfect audio, but no static anymore).

I had similar problem,

I've been using the USB ports attached directly to the motherboard the entire time and I've tried multiple USB ports varying from 3.0 to 2.0.

Audio devices passed through to VMs is a problem with current drivers. All usb soundcards (DAC) I have tried has problems when passed through. To get it to work you have to pass through a usb controller. Then it works as barebone.

Okay, so connecting straight to the motherboard ports is the problem?  I need to connect it to an external usb port?  Or is this all something I can do with software?  If you could explain how to do this, that would be extremely helpful!

Audio devices passed through to VMs is a problem with current drivers. All usb soundcards (DAC) I have tried has problems when passed through. To get it to work you have to pass through a usb controller. Then it works as barebone.

Okay, so connecting straight to the motherboard ports is the problem?  I need to connect it to an external usb port?  Or is this all something I can do with software?  If you could explain how to do this, that would be extremely helpful!

You still connect it to a motherboard port (if you are lucky), but you pass through one of the usb controllers on the motherboard to the VM. It's like passing through a video card. Depending on your motherboard this might or might not be possible. Sometimes all USB ports are connected to only one controller.

Take a look at this guide written by Archdraft https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=36768.0

The Nvidia audio had the similar static, but I fixed that by enabling MSI and no more static (it isn't perfect audio, but no static anymore).

Thank you.

Could you elaborate on "isn't perfect audio"? MSI didn't solve my issue (improved, like you said, but didn't "fix").

I've got a Marantz A/V receiver and expect every audio format to perform exactly the same whether it's played from a VM or bare metal. It's unfortunate that I purchased unraid for exactly this purpose and it doesn't work.

Edit: I don't mind adding a PCIe USB controller if required to fix my usb audio, but hdmi audio is a deal breaker in my application

Thank you.

Could you elaborate on "isn't perfect audio"? MSI didn't solve my issue (improved, like you said, but didn't "fix").

I've got a Marantz A/V receiver and expect every audio format to perform exactly the same whether it's played from a VM or bare metal. It's unfortunate that I purchased unraid for exactly this purpose and it doesn't work.

Edit: I don't mind adding a PCIe USB controller if required to fix my usb audio, but hdmi audio is a deal breaker in my application

When I say "isn't perfect audio" I mean that there is zero static, however, the audio seems a bit out of tune, but only barely.  It is fine for me, but if your an audio-head you'll complain I'm sure, but if you're not an audio-head, it fixed mine quite well.  Did you do the registry fix for MSI and verify through the unRAID side that MSI was enabled for the correct hardware?

You still connect it to a motherboard port (if you are lucky), but you pass through one of the usb controllers on the motherboard to the VM. It's like passing through a video card. Depending on your motherboard this might or might not be possible. Sometimes all USB ports are connected to only one controller.

Take a look at this guide written by Archdraft https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=36768.0

Perfect, I will try this in a few hours and post the results!

After reading this thread I was a bit worried about trying a USB soundcard since my motherboard doesn't have onboard sound to pass though to a VM. Despite this, I went ahead and ordered an Asus Xonar U3 and figured if I had an issue with static I'd get a USB PCIe card to pass though. I plugged in the U3 into a front panel USB port, passed it though, Windows 10 automatically detected it and installed a driver but the volume was abnormally loud and turned all the way down it was barely comfortable to listen to. So I downloaded Win8.1 drivers from Asus (they're lacking in Win10 support) and installed them. Now the volume levels are normal and I don't have any detectable static even with some good IEMs.

• 2 months later...

The only thing that ended up fixing my usb headset was purchasing a PCIe USB 3 card and passing that through. Works like a charm, and supports hot plugging.

I didn't want to do the trial & error in bios trying to split up the onboard controllers. Despite having 4 usb buses listed, every port (front panel and on the motherboard, usb2 and usb3) was showing up on the same bus as the unraid flash drive.

• 5 months later...

Right click the audio icon near the clock. Go to playback devices -> right click your device in my case it's a G930. Go to Advanced and change the Default format to 16 bit, 48000Hz (DVD Quality). This fixed my audio static issue. Hope this helps someone.

YOU JUST FIXED MY PROBLEM. I could kiss you. Thank you SO MUCH!!!!

• 1 year later...

On 2016/1/16 at 4:09 PM, itchris said:

Right click the audio icon near the clock. Go to playback devices -> right click your device in my case it's a G930. Go to Advanced and change the Default format to 16 bit, 48000Hz (DVD Quality). This fixed my audio static issue. Hope this helps someone.

My device this button is gray and can not be clicked

• 4 years later...
On 1/16/2016 at 9:09 AM, itchris said:

I can't believe it, but this worked for me!