Speedtest.net for unRAID 6.1+

dmacias

19 hours ago, dmacias said:

NerdPack doesn't inherently install anything. You have to go to Settings/NerdPack and select the packages you wish installed and click apply. They will be installed immediately and on reboot.

I will put that in the pop-up notification also. In the future I plan on allowing plugins to call NerdPack or the repo to install packages like python2. No need to worry about version.

Thank you so much for this.  The things one does not know.  I activated python 2/7 & Speedtest is working now.  Now if I could only get Spectrum to give me my 100M consistently , haha.

Edited by lovswr
typo
15 minutes ago, charley said:

Thank You for plugin. Installs and works like a charm.

The only thing i am missing is something i like an "export to excel" or a "printable report", or maybe just a "download xml" button.

I have some speed issues and wanted to share the data with my ISP technican.

Could be wrong here, but you should be able to get the XML from your flash drive.

go to \\<unraid name/IP>>\flash\config\plugins\speedtest

There's a speedtest.xml file in there that might be what you need.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone else find that this plugin provides inconsistent results that are nowhere near what you get when you do a "manual" Speedtest? 

My "rated" service is 250/20.  When I run speedtests by going to the web page I generally get results of approximately 320/21.  But with this plugin the results are WAY lower.

I run this daily at 6am when there should be very little traffic on my LAN or local node.  My download speeds  over the last few weeks have ranged from 22 to 284 Mbps.  The average is 167Mpbs.  That just doesn't seem right.

@wayner Yes... but you're still better off than me.  I have a 1000/50 circuit that is reporting an average of 1.5/.8... If I use version 0.3.4 of the script, i can get a slightly faster 2/5 measurement.  I've spent several days verifying network reliability and stability without finding any latency or loss issues to report.  Additionally, using iperf, I show full gigabit bi-direction connectivity on the local network.  

At this point, I believe I've narrowed this down to the unraid host at a minimum, but the iperf results seem to dispell it being a hardware or OS issue. Looking for suggestions to get this reporting correctly - happy to provide logs and troubleshooting if further investigation is desired.

That's what I have in my log for the last run of scheduled job - 

Feb 14 02:00:01 Vault speedtest: Internet bandwidth test startedFeb 14 02:00:11 Vault speedtest: Host: Feb 14 02:00:11 Vault speedtest: Feb 14 02:00:11 Vault speedtest: Internet bandwidth test completed

I'm not really sure. Other than changing settings might help.
@wayner Yes... but you're still better off than me.  I have a 1000/50 circuit that is reporting an average of 1.5/.8... If I use version 0.3.4 of the script, i can get a slightly faster 2/5 measurement.  I've spent several days verifying network reliability and stability without finding any latency or loss issues to report.  Additionally, using iperf, I show full gigabit bi-direction connectivity on the local network.  
At this point, I believe I've narrowed this down to the unraid host at a minimum, but the iperf results seem to dispell it being a hardware or OS issue. Looking for suggestions to get this reporting correctly - happy to provide logs and troubleshooting if further investigation is desired.
Does anyone else find that this plugin provides inconsistent results that are nowhere near what you get when you do a "manual" Speedtest? 

My "rated" service is 250/20.  When I run speedtests by going to the web page I generally get results of approximately 320/21.  But with this plugin the results are WAY lower.

I run this daily at 6am when there should be very little traffic on my LAN or local node.  My download speeds  over the last few weeks have ranged from 22 to 284 Mbps.  The average is 167Mpbs.  That just doesn't seem right.
This had been more of an issue since I don't know when during the 6.4 dev cycle. Something with the native unRAID network just throws this off. So what I may end up doing is creating a docker. Here's a link to my personal docker git which you can add to the Docker Repositories/Template Repositories. https://github.com/dmacias72/docker-templates

There is a speedtest docker in there that seems to give me better consistent results. UnRAID gives me a 25-26 ms ping and the docker is half that. It's a run and stop docker and the results will be in the docker log.
  • 1 month later...
On 3/28/2018 at 8:03 PM, Jobine said:

I have a gigabyte connection (1000/1000Mbps) and I reach a maximum of 309/158Mbps with speedtest docker and give me a 25ms ping.

The speedtest cli script doesn't seem to do well with gigabit speeds. It's been talked about before. If I could find a better solution I'd use it.

2 minutes ago, dalben said:

No, I have a 1Gb connection and the speeds shown with the plugin just aren't reliable.  I get 200-300 down.  But now that it's a known limitation it's not a problem

I also thought that's a problem with the spedtest, however it turned to be an issue with my router config - I had to turn on hardware acceleration

40 minutes ago, dmacias said:

Is that 1GB up and down?

My connection is 1Gb /1Gb

39 minutes ago, michael123 said:

I also thought that's a problem with the spedtest, however it turned to be an issue with my router config - I had to turn on hardware acceleration

No, this is plugin related.

Here is a test i did just now:

Plugin: 285 down, 146 up

PC Clientspeedtestclient.png.81f842b03771a8066c98b36753abd22e.png

And here's a view of the daily tests that occur at 03:30am

speedtestplugin.png.023f270b5a3cf19d6edc934d79640c8f.png

Edited by dalben
5 minutes ago, dalben said:

My connection is 1Gb /1Gb

No, this is plugin related.

Here is a test i did just now:

Plugin: 285 down, 146 up

PC Client

Did you ever try the speedtest docker? This isn't a problem with the plugin itself. It's a problem with the speedtest-cli script running on unRAID natively. I cannot get consistent results anymore with the script. I can with the docker running the same script, same python. My point was there may be a problem with 1000 upload speeds and the speedtest-cli which would have to be taken up with author of the script on his github.

9 hours ago, dmacias said:

Did you ever try the speedtest docker? This isn't a problem with the plugin itself. It's a problem with the speedtest-cli script running on unRAID natively. I cannot get consistent results anymore with the script. I can with the docker running the same script, same python. My point was there may be a problem with 1000 upload speeds and the speedtest-cli which would have to be taken up with author of the script on his github.

Haven't tried yet.  Will give it a shot during the week and post the results.