Speedtest.net for unRAID 6.1+

dmacias

I for the life of me, cannot get this to work at my line speeds. I have 1.5Gbps down and 950ish up. I am getting results like 20Mbps et. I know the speed is fine, because other apps are downloading at full line speed.

I have tried using different script versions, all the same, no dice.

Nerd pack is current.

Any Suggestions? Anyone?

You can install this package using wget and installpkg from the command line

https://github.com/dmacias72/unRAID-speedtest/raw/master/packages/SpeedTest-1.14.20181120-x86_64-1.txz

Run SpeedTest and see if that's better

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, dmacias said:

You can install this package using wget and installpkg from the command line

https://github.com/dmacias72/unRAID-speedtest/raw/master/packages/SpeedTest-1.14.20181120-x86_64-1.txz

Run SpeedTest and see if that's better

Gave that a go, and no dice. Nothing special when I ran speedtest from the command line. What perplexes me, SpeedTest-CLI works fine on all of my oversea's servers that I have, that are all *nix based. There is something different here, but I have no clue how to figure it out.

Retrieving speedtest.net configuration...
Testing from Bell Canada (76.66.***.**)...
Retrieving speedtest.net server list...
Selecting best server based on ping...
Hosted by Bell Canada (Toronto, ON) [2.19 km]: 11.234 ms
Testing download speed................................................................................
Download: 19.12 Mbit/s
Testing upload speed................................................................................................
Upload: 14.41 Mbit/s

Edited by Viper359
Added results
SpeedTest now has an official CLI.

Just now sure which instructions to follow.

https://www.speedtest.net/apps/cli
Nice! I'll have to update the plugin to use the official cli. You can download the Linux x86-64 version (ookla-speedtest-1.0.0-x86_64-linux.tgz) then run installpkg ookla-speedtest-1.0.0-x86_64-linux.tgz. Then run /speedtest. I'll at least create a package for slackware. May be a bit on updating the plugin

• Like 1
13 hours ago, dmacias said:

Nice! I'll have to update the plugin to use the official cli. You can download the Linux x86-64 version (ookla-speedtest-1.0.0-x86_64-linux.tgz) then run installpkg ookla-speedtest-1.0.0-x86_64-linux.tgz. Then run /speedtest. I'll at least create a package for slackware. May be a bit on updating the plugin

This worked, and now its showing my real speed. It would be really cool if you're able to update your package. That is one of the final things for my setup, that was sending my OCD into overdrive LOL. THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT on this. Your help was huge, See below for my results.

Speedtest by Ookla

Server: Bell Canada - Toronto, ON (id = 17394)
        ISP: Bell Canada
    Latency:     2.71 ms   (0.37 ms jitter)
   Download:   936.35 Mbps (data used: 827.8 MB)                               
     Upload:   756.37 Mbps (data used: 585.3 MB)                               
Packet Loss: Not available.

12 hours ago, Viper359 said:

This worked, and now its showing my real speed. It would be really cool if you're able to update your package. That is one of the final things for my setup, that was sending my OCD into overdrive LOL. THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT on this. Your help was huge, See below for my results.

Speedtest by Ookla

Server: Bell Canada - Toronto, ON (id = 17394)
        ISP: Bell Canada
    Latency:     2.71 ms   (0.37 ms jitter)
   Download:   936.35 Mbps (data used: 827.8 MB)                               
     Upload:   756.37 Mbps (data used: 585.3 MB)                               

Thanks again for the head up on the official speedtest cli. I put together a slackware package. I added it to the original post.

On 12/11/2019 at 11:54 PM, dmacias said:

Thanks again for the head up on the official speedtest cli. I put together a slackware package. I added it to the original post.

hmm, installed it, and its back right were it was before. 

What script version in the GUI version do you recommend, I have up to 2.0

hmm, installed it, and its back right were it was before. 
What script version in the GUI version do you recommend, I have up to 2.0
I just made a slackware package that installs the official cli in the right location so its executable from anywhere. It'll take me a while to update the plugin. The output from the official cli is a bit different and I also have to deal with the license acceptance when you first run speedtest.

On 12/16/2019 at 1:42 PM, dmacias said:

I just made a slackware package that installs the official cli in the right location so its executable from anywhere. It'll take me a while to update the plugin. The output from the official cli is a bit different and I also have to deal with the license acceptance when you first run speedtest.

Ah okey. Even from command line, I am not seeing the results I saw installing directly like you showed me.

Lemme know if you need help troubleshooting. 

• 1 month later...

I just noticed, the speedtest is no longer working, had been great for a long time.
It seemed to have stopped on 13 January 2020 :(

2020-01-13 02:00 Mon------0 Mbit/s0 Mbit/s

2020-01-12 02:00 SunTelstra (Melbourne)1.24 km10.42 ms46.67 Mbit/s14.52 Mbit/shttps://www.speedtest.net/result/8935719749.png

I have uninstalled and re-installed it, but no go, hopefully a new release :)

18 hours ago, DazNick said:

I just noticed, the speedtest is no longer working, had been great for a long time.
It seemed to have stopped on 13 January 2020 :(

2020-01-13 02:00 Mon------0 Mbit/s0 Mbit/s

2020-01-12 02:00 SunTelstra (Melbourne)1.24 km10.42 ms46.67 Mbit/s14.52 Mbit/shttps://www.speedtest.net/result/8935719749.png

I have uninstalled and re-installed it, but no go, hopefully a new release :)

I had a similar issue after upgrading all of my applications and Unraid to 6.8.2.  I had to go into Settings -> Nerdpack and update a few packages.  I think it was libffi that was the problem.  

• Like 1
12 hours ago, actionnewbs said:

I had a similar issue after upgrading all of my applications and Unraid to 6.8.2.  I had to go into Settings -> Nerdpack and update a few packages.  I think it was libffi that was the problem.  

Awsome, I updated the libffi-3.3-x86_64-1.txz in my nerdpack and speedtest is working now, thank you :)

Edited by DazNick

Removed the plugin and using their CLI and getting expected results. With the plugin no matter what version of the script I used I was only getting around half the speed.

Speedtest by Ookla

Server: Virgin Media
        ISP: Virgin Media
    Latency:     7.30 ms   (3.51 ms jitter)
   Download:   384.10 Mbps (data used: 526.9 MB)                               
     Upload:    36.07 Mbps (data used: 19.1 MB)                               

• 1 month later...

Something is just not right, The speedtest docker always stops working,
after a server reboot etc, the only thing that seems to make it work again is

going into Nerd Pack and force an update, when ever Perl is re-installed, touched.

eg: Installing python-2.7.17 package...
the docker will work perfect, can you please fix the docker, it is a great utility!

Thank you,

• 3 weeks later...

So I read the caveats. I just don't understand the discrepancies between the plug-in and the ookla-made speedtestcli if we're using the same underlying speedtest app:

Plug-in: https://www.speedtest.net/result/9226065642.png

ookla-cli: https://www.speedtest.net/result/c/8ebbf6e7-5460-46ff-81d2-fa476a046dae

unless we're not, in which case...anyhow. Yeah. Awesome plug-in either way. 

So I read the caveats. I just don't understand the discrepancies between the plug-in and the ookla-made speedtestcli if we're using the same underlying speedtest app:

Plug-in: https://www.speedtest.net/result/9226065642.png
ookla-cli: https://www.speedtest.net/result/c/8ebbf6e7-5460-46ff-81d2-fa476a046dae

unless we're not, in which case...anyhow. Yeah. Awesome plug-in either way. 
The plugin uses speedtest-cli, a python script from sivel on github and ookla is official speedtest app. So completely different. Just haven't had time to finish converting plugin to ookla
  • 1 month later...

Seems to not run most days for some reason:

image.png.b5428b96e7971de4796606b54a9e867f.png

If I go to the plugin settings and begin test it says "Internet bandwidth test started" and then does nothing.

However, I can run the sivel/speedtest-cli script manually perfectly fine and it completes in a few moments:

root@fs # speedtest-cli
Retrieving speedtest.net configuration...
Testing from Virgin Media (x.x.x.x)...
Retrieving speedtest.net server list...
Selecting best server based on ping...
Hosted by Hey! Broadband (Horsham) [28.19 km]: 29.707 ms
Testing download speed................................................................................
Download: 169.30 Mbit/s
Testing upload speed......................................................................................................
Upload: 16.91 Mbit/s

I think the issue is with python. The githib version requires python3 to be manually specified whereas the plugin version requires python 2.x
I wouldn't waste to much time on it. Going forward this plugin won't use any python. And only use the official speedtest cli from ookla. I can't remember where I left off but I think I hadn't worked out how to incorporate the manual server part of the plugin.
54 minutes ago, dmacias said:
3 hours ago, cinereus said:
Table sort also doesn't work.

Can you see what the javascript error is?

Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'arrayToDataTable' of undefined
    at drawChart (SpeedtestTools:1110)
    at SpeedtestTools:1275

The n to infinity options don't seem to work. Better to just call it ">n" anyway?

Edited by cinereus
Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'arrayToDataTable' of undefined
    at drawChart (SpeedtestTools:1110)
    at SpeedtestTools:1275

The n to infinity options don't seem to work. Better to just call it ">n" anyway?
Thanks. I'll try and look at the plugin more the next couple days. Maybe just leave a basic numeric input for manual server setting for now.
  • Like 1