Jump to content
dmacias

Speedtest.net for unRAID 6.1+

399 posts in this topic Last Reply

Recommended Posts

I have a Asus router and I find the solution.

7187512767.png

 

In order to use parental control, I disabled NAT acceleration, but when I reactive it, my speed becomes normal.

7187564678.png

 

but my ping stay bad

Share this post


Link to post

Tried the Docker, maybe worse than the plugin.

 

Docker:

Testing download speed................................................................................
Download: 576.49 Mbit/s
Testing upload speed....................................................................................................
Upload: 95.03 Mbit/s

 

Plugin:

Download 385Mbit

Upload 180Mbit

 

PC:

Download 753Mbit

Upload 897Mbit

Share this post


Link to post

For those with Gigabit internet still having trouble, the issue is due to the speedtest-cli script which dmacias can't control. I found this script which actually worked for me and includes more servers. I made a Docker container for the script (I don't know how to write plugins) which you can find here. I'm adding it to my unRaid's cron to just output to the system log file.

 

Just a note as well: some servers just actually suck to pull from with Gigabit, so just browse around the list of servers and see what works for you. I'm pulling from a Verizon server that's farther away from servers in my city and state that just can't take the bandwidth.

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/29/2018 at 10:46 PM, EmeraldPi said:

For those with Gigabit internet still having trouble, the issue is due to the speedtest-cli script which dmacias can't control. I found this script which actually worked for me and includes more servers. I made a Docker container for the script (I don't know how to write plugins) which you can find here. I'm adding it to my unRaid's cron to just output to the system log file.

 

Just a note as well: some servers just actually suck to pull from with Gigabit, so just browse around the list of servers and see what works for you. I'm pulling from a Verizon server that's farther away from servers in my city and state that just can't take the bandwidth.

Thanks for the link I'll check that link out more when I get a chance. Maybe I can use that instead.

Share this post


Link to post

Any chance for an option to disable test logs in system log and rely on results history tab instead?

Speedtest tends to flood my system log (due to regular testing).

Edited by tjb_altf4

Share this post


Link to post
Any chance for an option to disable test logs in system log and rely on results history tab instead?
Speedtest tends to flood my system log (due to regular testing).
Yes I could add an option to disable system logging.

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/4/2018 at 12:34 AM, dmacias said:

Thanks for the link I'll check that link out more when I get a chance. Maybe I can use that instead. 

 

That script has an issue with if the test server is specified then the share image URL returned is bad. I submitted a pull request to fix it, but for now a working version is available on my repo. I published a compiled binary that you can just download and use if you don't want to compile it yourself.

 

Edit: Looks like my pull request was accepted, so you can use the original repo.

Edited by EmeraldPi

Share this post


Link to post

Getting very inconsistent results with this plugin.

 

2018-06-29 16:00 Fri Optimum Online (New York City, NY) 49.84 km 254.542 ms 392.64 Mbit/s 40.23 Mbit/s    
2018-06-29 08:00 Fri Optimum Online (New York City, NY) 49.84 km 193.603 ms 348.05 Mbit/s 39.36 Mbit/s    
2018-06-29 00:00 Fri Optimum Online (New York City, NY) 49.84 km 23.926 ms 275.29 Mbit/s 42.88 Mbit/s    
2018-06-28 16:00 Thu Optimum Online (New York City, NY) 49.84 km 192.96 ms 371.93 Mbit/s 29.69 Mbit/s    
2018-06-28 08:00 Thu Optimum Online (New York City, NY) 49.84 km 20.322 ms 384.68 Mbit/s 42.46 Mbit/s    
2018-06-28 00:00 Thu Optimum Online (New York City, NY) 49.84 km 160.672 ms 353 Mbit/s 41.31 Mbit/s    
2018-06-27 16:00 Wed Optimum Online (New York City, NY) 49.84 km 26.024 ms 390.72 Mbit/s 42.82 Mbit/s    
2018-06-27 08:00 Wed Optimum Online (New York City, NY) 49.84 km 33.014 ms 328.18 Mbit/s 42.63 Mbit/s    
2018-06-27 00:00 Wed Optimum Online (New York City, NY) 49.84 km 19.316 ms 384.78 Mbit/s 42.59 Mbit/s    
2018-06-26 16:00 Tue Optimum Online (New York City, NY) 49.84 km 23.592 ms 345.3 Mbit/s 27.04 Mbit/s    
2018-06-26 08:00 Tue Optimum Online (New York City, NY) 49.84 km 55.51 ms 385.64 Mbit/s 42.85 Mbit/s    
2018-06-26 00:00 Tue Optimum Online (New York City, NY) 49.84 km 83.879 ms 345.76 Mbit/s 42.7 Mbit/s    
2018-06-25 16:00 Mon Optimum Online (New York City, NY) 49.84 km 32.619 ms 316.15 Mbit/s 42.53 Mbit/s

 

The ping in particular is super high for no reason.  I have 400/40 speed with Optimum.  Using their nearby server for the best results.  Running the same tests from my PC on WiFi and even my iPhone is getting a solid 430/42 with less than 10ms ping.

 

Other things on my Unraid like nzbget are maxing out the connection no problem so I know the speed is there.  Just seems this plugin is not providing reliable results.

 

Edited by nickp85

Share this post


Link to post

Noticed the ping fluctuation here as well. Other devices on the network don't seem to experience the same, could it be a bug with speedtest-cli?

Share this post


Link to post

hey everyone I'm dealing with an issue that I have been trying to troubleshoot for a week now with no luck. I love the speedtest.net plugin, but recently it went from being reasonably accurate with the ping at an average of about 50 ms  to having results with a ping consistently at  2500 ms. My download speed also went from average of about 120Mbps to 5Mbps. If I use speedtest.net on my desktop computer the results are were they should be. I tried deleting and reinstalling the plugin I have also tried completely deleting the plugin folder on the usb stick. I usually can fix most problems I have with technology by simply using google. But I have found literally no information about the problem I am experiencing online. If anyone needs any information I can try to provide it but unfortunately since I deleted the actually plugin folder I don't have the complete logs. Thanks guys I would really appreciate any help you can offer.

 

unRaid 6.5.3

 

Share this post


Link to post
29 minutes ago, wiscokidd said:

hey everyone I'm dealing with an issue that I have been trying to troubleshoot for a week now with no luck. I love the speedtest.net plugin, but recently it went from being reasonably accurate with the ping at an average of about 50 ms  to having results with a ping consistently at  2500 ms. My download speed also went from average of about 120Mbps to 5Mbps. If I use speedtest.net on my desktop computer the results are were they should be. I tried deleting and reinstalling the plugin I have also tried completely deleting the plugin folder on the usb stick. I usually can fix most problems I have with technology by simply using google. But I have found literally no information about the problem I am experiencing online. If anyone needs any information I can try to provide it but unfortunately since I deleted the actually plugin folder I don't have the complete logs. Thanks guys I would really appreciate any help you can offer.

 

unRaid 6.5.3

 

Whilst this won't help, check the posts above yours - seems to be a known issue.

Share this post


Link to post

I'm having some issues, and hoping someone might be able to assist.

 

When I run the plugin manually from browser I get the following error:

 

Internet bandwidth test started
Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to a member function addChild() on boolean in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/speedtest/scripts/speedtest-xml:60
Stack trace:
#0 {main}
thrown in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/speedtest/scripts/speedtest-xml on line 60

Looking at my syslog I see:

mybox emhttpd: req (27): cmd=/plugins/speedtest/scripts/speedtest-xml&arg1=--verbose&csrf_token=****************
emhttpd: cmd: /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/speedtest/scripts/speedtest-xml --verbose
speedtest: Internet bandwidth test started

 

I've tried uninstalling, and reinstalling numerous times, including rebooting, with no success.

 

I can go in to /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/speedtest/scripts and run the various scripts with no hassle whatsoever. (ie: python speedtest-latest.py )

 

The line in speedtest-xml that it is referencing is 

$test = $xml->addChild('test');

And finally, this used to work for me, I had it performing hourly speedtests until a few months ago with no issues, and only went to start trying to use it again a couple of days ago. I did edit the third line of speedtest-xml to "$debug = TRUE;" for obvious reasons.

 

Any suggestion on where I may have gone wrong, would be greatly appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Cessquill said:

Whilst this won't help, check the posts above yours - seems to be a known issue.

Yeah I did read those other posts. I wasn't sure if I was experiencing the same problem because my ping, download and upload are extremely consistent, I should be getting 10ms ping, 200Mbps down and 20Mbps up. The other posts I read were about inconsistent results from one test to another. I really don't know though it could be the same problem. here are some results, these were run days apart.

Capture.PNG.e631bb0100ab361d4f3cd73d7708c53f.PNG

Edited by wiscokidd

Share this post


Link to post

anyway to get a gigabits speed test on this? I can't get accurate readings with the smaller sample files 

#gbpsproblems

 

Edit: Oops, never mind. I read some of the other posts now. Seems there is an "issue" with gbps lines. Hopefully this can get resolved. EXCELLENT plugin otherwise. Thanks!

Edited by jpotrz

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/30/2018 at 4:14 AM, wiscokidd said:

Yeah I did read those other posts. I wasn't sure if I was experiencing the same problem because my ping, download and upload are extremely consistent, I should be getting 10ms ping, 200Mbps down and 20Mbps up. The other posts I read were about inconsistent results from one test to another. I really don't know though it could be the same problem. here are some results, these were run days apart.

Capture.PNG.e631bb0100ab361d4f3cd73d7708c53f.PNG

Did you ever find a solution to this? I am getting the exact same issues as you. Should be getting 15ms ping, 180Mbps down, 25Mbps up. Recently, I've also been getting no results at all. /shrug

 

 

2018-09-14 08_56_59-Tower_SpeedtestTools.png

Share this post


Link to post

I’m having issues loading the page. It just hangs there. And un-hangs after a long time. Is it because of past histories records?

Edited by CyberMew

Share this post


Link to post
I'm having some issues, and hoping someone might be able to assist.
 
When I run the plugin manually from browser I get the following error:
 
Internet bandwidth test startedFatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to a member function addChild() on boolean in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/speedtest/scripts/speedtest-xml:60Stack trace:#0 {main}thrown in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/speedtest/scripts/speedtest-xml on line 60

Looking at my syslog I see:

mybox emhttpd: req (27): cmd=/plugins/speedtest/scripts/speedtest-xml&arg1=--verbose&csrf_token=****************emhttpd: cmd: /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/speedtest/scripts/speedtest-xml --verbosespeedtest: Internet bandwidth test started

 
I've tried uninstalling, and reinstalling numerous times, including rebooting, with no success.
 
I can go in to /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/speedtest/scripts and run the various scripts with no hassle whatsoever. (ie: python speedtest-latest.py )
 
The line in speedtest-xml that it is referencing is 

$test = $xml->addChild('test');

And finally, this used to work for me, I had it performing hourly speedtests until a few months ago with no issues, and only went to start trying to use it again a couple of days ago. I did edit the third line of speedtest-xml to "$debug = TRUE;" for obvious reasons.
 
Any suggestion on where I may have gone wrong, would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for the late reply but there's probably something wrong with the xml file where the results are stored on the flash drive.

Share this post


Link to post
I’m having issues loading the page. It just hangs there. And un-hangs after a long time. Is it because of past histories records?
I'm not sure. Try deleting some. There's nothing really to update till I find a script that can give more accurate results. As speeds get faster and faster is seems the speedtest-cli gets more and more inaccurate.

Share this post


Link to post

I know there have been reports of this not giving consistent speeds. I thought I'd this this in as an example. I recently built a backup server to go off site, but it's still sitting at my house right next to my primary server. Here's the speed test notification I just got.

 

They're both plugged into the same switch going through the same router and the same modem.

 

This is the most extreme difference I've seen. Sometimes they're quite close in speed.

6a15b46a4207d9bdee4db3693f12c5c4.jpg&key=1983c0b962adba2b40630e1ec86955ae4de42f1551c12adf5a9d6f4eb925d26b

 

Sent from Tapatalk

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

Hi, Im running this plugin and it seems to be runnnig fine and I love the idea of it but the resulta are very bad and I mean very. Im getting somewhere in the 2mbps for download and the same for upload when on my laptop and pc im getting in the 40s and 50s and they are wireless. When I run a docker speedtest I get on the 30s which is better so I don't think it's the cable or port. Any idea what might be happening? Thanks

laptop speed.png

speed1.png

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/6/2018 at 9:35 AM, EmeraldPi said:

 

That script has an issue with if the test server is specified then the share image URL returned is bad. I submitted a pull request to fix it, but for now a working version is available on my repo. I published a compiled binary that you can just download and use if you don't want to compile it yourself.

 

Edit: Looks like my pull request was accepted, so you can use the original repo.

Finally got around to  working on a new version using a different script I compiled for unRAID thanks to EmeraldPi

 

https://github.com/taganaka/SpeedTest

 

You can install this package using wget and installpkg from the command line


https://github.com/dmacias72/unRAID-speedtest/raw/master/packages/SpeedTest-1.14-x86_64-1.txz

 

Then run SpeedTest to test this script

Share this post


Link to post
21 hours ago, dmacias said:

Finally got around to  working on a new version using a different script I compiled for unRAID thanks to EmeraldPi

 

https://github.com/taganaka/SpeedTest

 

You can install this package using wget and installpkg from the command line


https://github.com/dmacias72/unRAID-speedtest/raw/master/packages/SpeedTest-1.14-x86_64-1.txz

 

Then run SpeedTest to test this script

Nice, I just did a quick test and I seem to get speeds more aligned with my connection, are you planning on updating the plugin to use this?

 

Thanks,

Wob

Share this post


Link to post
38 minutes ago, Wob76 said:

Nice, I just did a quick test and I seem to get speeds more aligned with my connection, are you planning on updating the plugin to use this?

 

Thanks,

Wob

Yes. I'm about 90% done. Just working on manual server selection and some backwards compatibility. I think this is important because I have found a couple servers close to me that consistently give higher results than my connection. They are consistent results but double my connection. Although in testing this past week those were not selected and all results were consistent and inline with my connection. Also python is not necessary. This one is written in C.

Share this post


Link to post

Can somebody explain how to manually install/run this? Is this every going to be an installable plugin/docker via CA?

 

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.