Speedtest.net for unRAID 6.1+

dmacias

Hi, this is awesome, finally a plugin for it. Just wondering, where is the log file stored at? It won't be delete after every reboot right?

Also, I think it would be great if you can make it show (in the results table) which server it speedtest from, because in my location there are a few, and some of them are ISPs servers, and it would be great to see the speeds to which server. Otherwise if the auto selects another server then the speed tests will be like comparing apples to oranges - both nice fruits but different

edit: another minor thing, the datetime is show as Sun Dec 22 15:14:51 2015, is it possible to change it to Sun Dec 22 2015, 15:14:51 instead?

Thanks for making this plugin!

I'll add the speedtest host into the table. It'll only work for new tests though. The date and time is formatted based on your display settings for dynamix.

Thanks. As for the date time, my format is current this: Current date and time:

Tue 29 Dec 2015 02:30:26 PM HKT. Which is quite different than the one shown above.

Anyone knows where can I adjust the settings?

If you go to Settings/Display what is your Date Format set to?

Hi, this is awesome, finally a plugin for it. Just wondering, where is the log file stored at? It won't be delete after every reboot right?

Also, I think it would be great if you can make it show (in the results table) which server it speedtest from, because in my location there are a few, and some of them are ISPs servers, and it would be great to see the speeds to which server. Otherwise if the auto selects another server then the speed tests will be like comparing apples to oranges - both nice fruits but different

edit: another minor thing, the datetime is show as Sun Dec 22 15:14:51 2015, is it possible to change it to Sun Dec 22 2015, 15:14:51 instead?

Thanks for making this plugin!

I'll add the speedtest host into the table. It'll only work for new tests though. The date and time is formatted based on your display settings for dynamix.

Thanks. As for the date time, my format is current this: Current date and time:

Tue 29 Dec 2015 02:30:26 PM HKT. Which is quite different than the one shown above.

Anyone knows where can I adjust the settings?

If you go to Settings/Display what is your Date Format set to?

It shows up as System Default for me. Am I suppose to change that?

Just a side issue - I've now got two Sppedtest icons in the Settings page.  First one is just the settings, second is settings and test/results. In Tools there is the icon for just test/results.  I'm assuming the second icon in settings should no longer be there as the functionality was split between settings and tools, yes?

Do I need to reinstall?

• 2 weeks later...

I get this problem when i speedtest, instead of showing the statistics, it shows a link to an png with the statistics, how can i change this?

kJBX37D.png

You're not getting a ping, download or upload. What does the popup say when you run Begin Test?

Thanks for pointing it out. I'll have to add some checks to prevent this.

When I do an automatic speedtest it shows my upload as only 20mb/s but when I choose a server manual it only goes up to 100mb/s but when I do the speedtest on a vm it goes up to 450mb/s. So something is capping it in the plugin, however the download speed does show up fine.

This plugin is just a front end for speedtest-cli.  You can run speedtest or speedtest-cli from the command line. If you run speedtest-xml you'll get the plugin running speedtest-cli. The first page of the thread has an excerpt from the developer of speedtest-cli explaining why there might be some inconsistencies. That being said your results seem off. Unless your paying for 300Mbps (300 down/100 up) internet the 20 seems a good upload speed. I definitely would not trust results from a vm.

This plugin is just a front end for speedtest-cli.  You can run speedtest or speedtest-cli from the command line. If you run speedtest-xml you'll get the plugin running speedtest-cli. The first page of the thread has an excerpt from the developer of speedtest-cli explaining why there might be some inconsistencies. That being said your results seem off. Unless your paying for 300Mbps (300 down/100 up) internet the 20 seems a good upload speed. I definitely would trust results from a vm.

Ah okay, I thought unraid wasn't getting my full speed so I thought maybe it had to do with my network settings. But if I can trust the VM thn it's all good.

This plugin is just a front end for speedtest-cli.  You can run speedtest or speedtest-cli from the command line. If you run speedtest-xml you'll get the plugin running speedtest-cli. The first page of the thread has an excerpt from the developer of speedtest-cli explaining why there might be some inconsistencies. That being said your results seem off. Unless your paying for 300Mbps (300 down/100 up) internet the 20 seems a good upload speed. I definitely would trust results from a vm.

Ah okay, I thought unraid wasn't getting my full speed so I thought maybe it had to do with my network settings. But if I can trust the VM thn it's all good.

Sorry I edited my previous post. I meant "definitely not".  There's too many other variables involved with added network layer and flash in a browser through rdp or vnc. What upload speed are you expecting? I find mine to be relatively close between running speedtest on my android phone, this plugin and a hard wired desktop or wireless n through my laptop.

If your unRAID memory or cpu load is high then this plugin is going to give poor results.

What's your network like from unRAID to modem?

Sorry I edited my previous post. I meant "definitely not".  There's too many other variables involved with added network layer and flash in a browser through rdp or vnc. What upload speed are you expecting? I find mine to be relatively close between running speedtest on my android phone, this plugin and a hard wired desktop or wireless n through my laptop.

If your unRAID memory or cpu load is high then this plugin is going to give poor results.

I was expecting about 300Mbps download and 450Mbps upload. But today there was some kind of upgrade to the network so my upload went to 570Mbps. I'm getting about the same speed when connecting with my laptop to the router. And my unraid is connected to the same router with a cat 6 cable. But still kind of weird that the plugin cant go above 100Mbps for some reason.

I was expecting about 300Mbps download and 450Mbps upload. But today there was some kind of upgrade to the network so my upload went to 570Mbps. I'm getting about the same speed when connecting with my laptop to the router. And my unraid is connected to the same router with a cat 6 cable. But still kind of weird that the plugin cant go above 100Mbps for some reason.

It could be limited by speedtest-cli somehow. I didn't write that though. I can look at it. I also found a different command line speedtest I will try. I will put it in a update and you can run it from the command line and see if it gives you better results. If so then I can incorporate it into the plugin results.

I updated the plugin and added another speedtest script.  Just run 'speedtest-linux' from the command line and see if the results are better. Also compare to 'speedtest-cli' from the command line.

Yes that was it. If anyone else has insanely fast internet please try speedtest-linux and speedtest-cli and  post the results.

I tried it and I got this:

SERVER:~# speedtest-cli

Retrieving speedtest.net configuration...

Retrieving speedtest.net server list...

Testing from Unet B.V. (XX.XX.XX.XX)...

Selecting best server based on latency...

Hosted by fdcservers.net (Amsterdam) [0.00 km]: 31.759 ms

Testing download speed........................................

Download: 244.20 Mbit/s

Testing upload speed..................................................

Upload: 107.35 Mbit/s

SERVER:~# speedtest-linux

github.com/zpeters/speedtest -- unofficial cli for speedtest.net

Server: 6035 - Amsterdam (fdcservers.net)

2016/01/15 15:56:34 Testing download speed

2016/01/15 15:56:38 Testing upload speed

Ping (Lowest): 9.92 ms | Download (Max): 225.07 Mbps | Upload (Max): 1552.13 Mbps

:P

Edit: Also can I somehow choose a different server? Because the closest to me is not the best one haha

Edit: Also can I somehow choose a different server? Because the closest to me is not the best one haha

You can do speedtest-linux --server server#  It also has an option for --numclosest but that doesn't seem to work.

I tried it with a server I know i can get my full speed and i get this:

Ping (Lowest): 10.61 ms | Download (Max): 291.97 Mbps | Upload (Max): 190.82 Mbps

I also tried with a random server thats close to me and now I do get my full speed (or it just shows a random upload :P)

Ping (Lowest): 9.53 ms | Download (Max): 322.56 Mbps | Upload (Max): 589.46 Mbps

I tried more servers but they all show different results while the browser version show consistent results

I get this problem when i speedtest, instead of showing the statistics, it shows a link to an png with the statistics, how can i change this?

IMGHERE

You're not getting a ping, download or upload. What does the popup say when you run Begin Test?

Thanks for pointing it out. I'll have to add some checks to prevent this.

i do get everything when i visit the url tho.. it just gives the expected output in url form to a png...

popup says:

Internet bandwidth test started

Retrieving speedtest.net configuration...

Retrieving speedtest.net server list...

Testing from Telenet N.V. (*MYIPISHERE*)...

Hosted by ZeelandNet BV (Middelburg) [45.08 km]: 31.727 ms

Testing download speed........................................

Download: 219.93 Mbit/s

Testing upload speed..................................................

Upload: 18.52 Mbit/s

Share results: https://www.speedtest.net/result/*THISISTHEURL*.png