Speedtest.net for unRAID 6.1+

dmacias

The shortcut tabs in the webpage seems to be broken on Chrome.. I see 2 setting tabs, and they dont redirect me anywhere, same for scheduler. Not a big issue but just wanted to bring it to your attention.

I get the same thing on a MacAir with chrome and firefox.

Are you on the latest version?

I really like the plug in...but the downside is that until the speed issue is fixed, it really is not a good test.

Same here, plugin is great, but:

Firefox 46.0.1 Browser:

5343769074.png

2016.05.21 Plugin:

5343767200.png

This is from the original post and the speedtest-cli readme.

"There is the potential for this tool to report results inconsistent with Speedtest.net. There are several concepts to be aware of that factor into the potential inconsistency:

1. Speedtest.net has migrated to using pure socket tests instead of HTTP based tests

2. This application is written in Python

3. Different versions of Python will execute certain parts of the code faster than others

4. CPU and Memory capacity and speed will play a large part in inconsistency between Speedtest.net and even other machines on the same network"

This tool isn't meant to compare with your desktop.  It's meant to provide a baseline for your network speed and then you can determine any degradation. It's also for those that don't have a desktop and want some logging and graphs.

You can't get hung up I the exact numbers and how they compare to your desktop. You should compare the day to day results that this produces. I get close daily results. It helped me to notice my connection quality had dipped and I called and got them to fix it.

I have to say I really do not buy that.  (Though I am not a programmer...just being logical.)

When the server does downloads, I see the speeds I would expect from of the the three program I run.  However this Speedtest plugin reports only about 1/2 of what I can get.  So, while three other programs show download speeds just fine, this plugin can not for some reason.

I am not using Gigabit speeds either...I am using about 36Mbps down and this plugin reports between 14 and 18Mbps.

The shortcut tabs in the webpage seems to be broken on Chrome.. I see 2 setting tabs, and they dont redirect me anywhere, same for scheduler. Not a big issue but just wanted to bring it to your attention.

Im running

Unraid beta 6.20 release 21

Speedtest ver 2016.05.21

My observations on both windows and mac devices

x2 setting buttons neither work

Schedule button does not work

Graphs do not work at all

Results from speedtest.net display correctly

Running chrome Version 50.0.2661.102 (64-bit) MAC

FireFox 46.0.1

happy to chat further if you want more info

I have to sat I really do not buy that.  (Though I am not a programmer...just being logical.)

When the server does downloads, I see the speeds I would expect from of the the three program I run.  However this Speedtest plugin reports only about 1/2 of what I can get.  So, while three other programs show download speeds just fine, this plugin can not for some reason.

I am not using Gigabit speeds either...I am using about 36Mbps down and this plugin reports between 14 and 18Mbps.

I see that now. The gigabit speeds were from who you quoted. Are you running the other tests from your unRAID server too? I can include a couple other speedtest scripts and you can see if they report better results.

Im running

Unraid beta 6.20 release 21

Speedtest ver 2016.05.21

My observations on both windows and mac devices

x2 setting buttons neither work

Schedule button does not work

Graphs do not work at all

Results from speedtest.net display correctly

Running chrome Version 50.0.2661.102 (64-bit) MAC

FireFox 46.0.1

happy to chat further if you want more info

Right click in Chrome then select inspect then console. Let me know if there are errors.

Both issues relate to having the unit type set to bytes in the settings of the speed test. When i set the unit type back to bits graphs worked and the second settings button removed, all buttons behaved as expected.

I feel this relates to a code issue not popup  blockers or av as previously suggested.

Hope this helps

I have to sat I really do not buy that.  (Though I am not a programmer...just being logical.)

I see that now. The gigabit speeds were from who you quoted. Are you running the other tests from your unRAID server too? I can include a couple other speedtest scripts and you can see if they report better results.

Hi dmacias...

Thanks for the reply. My bad, the other programs I am referring to are like say sabnzbd where I can look and see the speed it is downloading at.  For, for example, when I look at that when downloading I see 36Mbps which is just about max of the cable modem. If I then run your plugin right after, I see only 14 to 18 Mbps reported.  I have also tried other servers locations just for kicks just in case. 

If I run the same speedtest from the same test server using my MacBook via even wireless, I get a full speed result. 

I really like your plugin, but I really can only use it to see if my UnRaid server has Internet access as, in my case, the download speeds are reported at about 1/2.  There are faster ways to see if I have internet access vs waiting for the test to finish. :)

Thanks again.

Both issues relate to having the unit type set to bytes in the settings of the speed test. When i set the unit type back to bits graphs worked and the second settings button removed, all buttons behaved as expected.

I feel this relates to a code issue not popup  blockers or av as previously suggested.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the help. Your right, it's not cookie related. I'll fix it.

Hi dmacias...

Thanks for the reply. My bad, the other programs I am referring to are like say sabnzbd where I can look and see the speed it is downloading at.  For, for example, when I look at that when downloading I see 36Mbps which is just about max of the cable modem. If I then run your plugin right after, I see only 14 to 18 Mbps reported.  I have also tried other servers locations just for kicks just in case. 

If I run the same speedtest from the same test server using my MacBook via even wireless, I get a full speed result. 

I really like your plugin, but I really can only use it to see if my UnRaid server has Internet access as, in my case, the download speeds are reported at about 1/2.  There are faster ways to see if I have internet access vs waiting for the test to finish. :)

Thanks again.

I really like the plug in...but the downside is that until the speed issue is fixed, it really is not a good test.

Same here, plugin is great, but:

Firefox 46.0.1 Browser:

5343769074.png

2016.05.21 Plugin:

5343767200.png

I added a couple extra command line scripts for you both to try out or anyone else with poor results.  speedtest-cli and speedtest-linux. The one the plugin uses is speedtest-xml. I get the same from all of them on unRAID and speedtest.net on my laptop ~85 down and ~6 up.

These new scripts GUI selectable or ran from the command line?  If command line, where are they located?  Not seeing them in the /boot/config/plugins/speedtest directory and I did install the update (2016.05.22).  Thanks.

They are command line for testing. They are symlinked in the path to /usr/sbin. So they will work from anywhere. You can always do tab tab from the console and linux will list choices. So speedtest- then tab tab.

These new scripts GUI selectable or ran from the command line?  If command line, where are they located?  Not seeing them in the /boot/config/plugins/speedtest directory and I did install the update (2016.05.22).  Thanks.

They are command line for testing. They are symlinked in the path to /usr/sbin. So they will work from anywhere. You can always do tab tab from the console and linux will list choices. So speedtest- then tab tab.

Firefox 46.0.1:    36.54/6.39Mbps, 15ms

Plugin:                21.09/5.76Mbps, 11ms

speedtest-cli:    36.31/0.00Mbps, 38ms (second run was 55.05/0.00Mbps, 12ms)

speedtest-linux: 36.69/5.49Mbps, 17ms (second run was 36.61/5.32Mbps, 16ms)

All same server.  I follow your usage logic to use the plugin as link consistency/quality check.  My use is a case where I was on a 98% utilized node where I have a 30/5 plan and was getting 0.5 to 1Mbps download worst case during prime time.  ISP split the node and speeds have been better, but I pay $10 extra to go from 20/2 to 30/5Mbps and I was using the speedtest plugin as ammo to give my ISP another phone call.  I have a weeks worth of data at hourly intervals and was ready to get on the horn to tier 3 again when I ran speedtest via browser as final motivation and found the large discrepancy in reported bandwidth.  Still not a bad plugin, just as you say you can't use this as an absolute speed test, more of a relative link quality indicator.

Give the speedtest-cli a few more runs. It's just a modified version of the current speedtest-cli from the dev's github. The plugin uses a newer beta branch. You can run speedtest-xml for that.

The speedtest-linux would require some code changes and doesn't do speedtest images but maybe I can give an option in settings on which script to use.

Give the speedtest-cli a few more runs. It's just a modified version of the current speedtest-cli from the dev's github. The plugin uses a newer beta branch. You can run speedtest-xml for that.

The speedtest-linux would require some code changes and doesn't do speedtest images but maybe I can give an option in settings on which script to use.

But speedtest-cli does not give upload speeds.  Too bad about speedtest-linux not giving images.  Augh...So close. :)

But speedtest-cli does not give upload speeds.  Too bad about speedtest-linux not giving images.  Augh...So close. :)

Speedtest-cli doesn't give you upload speed either. It works fine for me. Do dotted lines go across like it's at least trying to? Maybe I could increase the time out if that's the case.