Tried to mount ext4 Drive FS now corrupt.

I wanted to play around with Unraid 6 so I installed it to a usb stick an let my nas boot.

Wanted to play around with docker I saw that I needed to start an array.

As I was not sure if Unraid6 supported the ext4 file system (I expected it to so one could transfer data, but it turns out it doesn't) I started the array (with no parity on my drive). I saw that it did not recognise my FS so I stopped the array again and booted in my old os. During the process I did not format the drive

But now the file system seems to be corrupted. Is there any way to fix this?

Screen_Shot_2015-10-23_at_11_49_24.png.d67f2cbb41e5fce0ff3e8806d519cdfa.png

If you assigned a disk that was not previously used by unRAID as a array disk, then unRAID will have rewritten the partition table to conform to unRAID standards.  I am not sure how one can undo such a change. Once partitioned by unRAID you can take the disk to other systems (e.g. Linux) and they will be happy to work with the unRAID style partitioning.

Unraid does not support ext4 as a file system for array disks.  The supported formats are BTRFS, XFS and Reiserfs.

You can use ext4 (and various other formats such as HFS, NTFS) for disks that are not part of the array. This is best done by installing the Unassigned Devices plugin.  This is commonly done for transferring data to/from an unRAID system.

If you assigned a disk that was not previously used by unRAID as a array disk, then unRAID will have rewritten the partition table to conform to unRAID standards.  I am not sure how one can undo such a change.

Unraid does not support ext4 as a file system for array disks.  The supported formats are BTRFS, XFS and Reiserfs.

You can use ext4 (and various other formats such as HFS, NTFS) for disks that are not part of the array. This is best done by installing the Unassigned Devices plugin.  This is commonly done for transferring data to/from an unRAID system.

Ah I did not know that with the Unassigned Devices.

Now I just need a way to revert my changes.

EDIT:

Well I tried to rebuild the Filesystem and then fix it with fsck but was unsuccessful, I assume that someone could have fixed it, but as the data on the drive wasn't of great importance I have reformatted the drive.

• 1 year later...

hello,

I wanted to move from my old setup to unRAID Pro this weekend. And while testing the demo of unRAID...

...the same happend to me  :-[ Now I can't mount the ext4 filesystem on the disk. (I  thought mouting the disk in unRAID as a array is read only :-\. I did NOT write any data to the disk or reformat it.)

How can I get back the data from the ext4 filesystem? I think the parition table is now full of error, right?

I tried to mount it via ssh:

root@unRAID:/mnt# mkdir mnt_sdd1
root@unRAID:/mnt# mount -t ext4 /dev/sdd1 /mnt/mnt_sdd1
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdd1,
       missing codepage or helper program, or other error

In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
       dmesg | tail or so.

:'(

edit:

root@unRAID:/# fdisk -lu

Disk /dev/sdd: 5.5 TiB, 6001175126016 bytes, 11721045168
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
Disklabel type: gpt
Disk identifier: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Device          Start                           End                               Sectors           Size           Type
/dev/sdd1     64                       11721045134                        11721045071             5.5T          Linux filesystem

Disk /dev/sdd: 5.5 TiB, 6001175126016 bytes, 11721045168

Device          Start                          End                              Sectors          Size          Type

/dev/sdd1    64                      11721045134          11721045071            5.5T          Linux filesystem

This has to be the problem. The numbers do not match.

How do I fix this? Using testdisk?

...the same happend to me  :-[ Now I can't mount the ext4 filesystem on the disk. (I  thought mouting the disk in unRAID as a array is read only :-\. I did NOT write any data to the disk or reformat it.)

Unfortunately not.  Assigning a disk to the array and starting it rewrites the partition table to the unRAID  standard if it is not already conformant.

How can I get back the data from the ext4 filesystem? I think the parition table is now full of error, right?

If you do hot know what the old settings were for the partition table then you are going to have to look for recovery software that can handle this.  Not sure what to suggest you use.

• 2 months later...