[Support] Linuxserver.io - SmokePing

docker run -d --name="smokeping" --net="none" -e TZ="Europe/London" -e HOST_OS="unRAID" -e "PUID"="99" -e "PGID"="100" -v "/mnt/user/appdata/smokeping":"/data":rw -v "/mnt/user/appdata/smokeping":"/config":rw -h vm-smokeping.home.allan.scot --network homenet --ip 192.168.1.20 --dns-search=home.allan.scot linuxserver/smokeping

6 hours ago, CHBMB said:

Can you guys post your docker run commands or how you got this setup?

Here you go:

Command:
root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name="smokeping" --net="bridge" -e TZ="America/Los_Angeles" -e HOST_OS="unRAID" -e "PUID"="99" -e "PGID"="100" -p 8083:80/tcp -v "/mnt/user/Stuff/smokeping/":"/data":rw -v "/mnt/cache/appdata/smokeping":"/config":rw linuxserver/smokeping
d297a9014eaef950086b4c4f4b2f401cc67de7a76c94264a67187727d860ef63

The command finished successfully!

On 17/06/2017 at 5:55 AM, alfi33 said:

I seem to be in the same boat.  I was getting data in the graphs with an 'out-of-box' install of the Docker....but it seemed to stop maybe a month ago.

I tried removing it, removing the smokeping folder from appdata, and reinstalling...but I still don't get any data in the graphs.  

This happened to me too, graphs stopped producing data about ~1-2 days before I posted here. After removing, and reinstalling, not fixed.

So I deleted my entire docker file, and reinstalled all my dockers, and then found I couldn't access Smokeping WebGUI at all (Clean install or existing data).

I've since stopped dockers automatically updating, because it just breaks things when on an automatic schedule.

TLDR: My SmokePing still broken, graphs stopped producing data before I lost WebGUI access too.

3-July-17 Edit: Loss of WebGUI a result of changing "Network type" from "Bridge" to "Host" and back to "Bridge". This docker has issues.

Edited by scytherbladez

I'm having the same issue. Nothing on any of the graphs. Was working fine before. Tried removing image and reinstalling still having same issue. Attached are settings and logs

Logs:

[s6-init] making user provided files available at /var/run/s6/etc...exited 0.
[s6-init] ensuring user provided files have correct perms...exited 0.
[fix-attrs.d] applying ownership & permissions fixes...
[fix-attrs.d] done.
[cont-init.d] executing container initialization scripts...
[cont-init.d] 10-adduser: executing...

-------------------------------------
_ _ _
| |___| (_) ___
| / __| | |/ _ \
| \__ \ | | (_) |
|_|___/ |_|\___/
|_|

Brought to you by linuxserver.io
We gratefully accept donations at:
https://www.linuxserver.io/donations/
GID/UID
User uid: 99
User gid: 100

[cont-init.d] 10-adduser: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 30-config: executing...
[cont-init.d] 30-config: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] done.
[services.d] starting services
[services.d] done.
AH00558: httpd: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using 172.17.0.8. Set the 'ServerName' directive globally to suppress this message
### assuming you are using an fping copy reporting in milliseconds
Smokeping version 2.006011 successfully launched.
Not entering multiprocess mode for just a single probe.
FPing: probing 23 targets with step 300 s and offset 295 s.

SmokePing.tiff

Did a complete clean install of the smokeping docker with new appdata and new data folders. Still not getting any data population. I did find something in the logs that is coming up every time I restart the smokeping docker:

Jun 24 11:26:10 Tower kernel: docker0: port 7(vethc611f8a) entered disabled state
Jun 24 11:26:10 Tower kernel: veth7b15c01: renamed from eth0
Jun 24 11:26:10 Tower kernel: docker0: port 7(vethc611f8a) entered disabled state
Jun 24 11:26:10 Tower kernel: device vethc611f8a left promiscuous mode
Jun 24 11:26:44 Tower kernel: docker0: port 7(vetheff99df) entered blocking state
Jun 24 11:26:44 Tower kernel: docker0: port 7(vetheff99df) entered disabled state
Jun 24 11:26:44 Tower kernel: device vetheff99df entered promiscuous mode
Jun 24 11:26:44 Tower kernel: docker0: port 7(vetheff99df) entered blocking state
Jun 24 11:26:44 Tower kernel: docker0: port 7(vetheff99df) entered forwarding state
Jun 24 11:26:44 Tower kernel: docker0: port 7(vetheff99df) entered disabled state
Jun 24 11:26:44 Tower kernel: eth0: renamed from veth0f06c01
Jun 24 11:26:44 Tower kernel: docker0: port 7(vetheff99df) entered forwarding state

I'm seeing the same thing on a fresh install.
[cont-init.d] done.
[services.d] done.
AH00558: httpd: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using 172.17.0.6. Set the 'ServerName' directive globally to suppress this message
FPing: probing 20 targets with step 300 s and offset 217 s.

On 6/25/2017 at 8:28 AM, ld2003 said:

I'm seeing the same thing on a fresh install.
[cont-init.d] done.
[services.d] done.
AH00558: httpd: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using 172.17.0.6. Set the 'ServerName' directive globally to suppress this message

Any update on this issue? I am able to reproduce the issue on a separate Unraid box. The unraid box that I installed Smokeping on 6.3.5 same error messages.  Should this start generating data by itself or is their extra steps that need to happen after the install?

GID/UID

'Alerts' -> '/config/Alerts'
'Database' -> '/config/Database'
'General' -> '/config/General'
'Presentation' -> '/config/Presentation'
'Probes' -> '/config/Probes'
'Slaves' -> '/config/Slaves'
'Targets' -> '/config/Targets'
'pathnames' -> '/config/pathnames'
'smtp.conf' -> '/config/smtp.conf'
[cont-init.d] done.
[services.d] done.
AH00558: httpd: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using 172.17.0.2. Set the 'ServerName' directive globally to suppress this message

Edited by ld2003

This post is running commentary of my Smokeping investigations. I'm not a Linux person, and don't know how Dockers operate either.

I've fixed my Webgui access problem. I noticed between the clean docker template and my existing docker template, the host port in my install was 8086 and linuxserver was 80.

I'm about 99.9% sure I didn't change this, because I don't even know how. The overview section shows the default to be 8086 too, so Linuxserver changed this at some point?

I can see all my existing data, but nothing new has been recorded since Friday June 2nd.

@nallar graphs stopped recording on June 9th, exactly 1 week after mine. And I believe Linuxserver update dockers every Friday?

I can see the RRD file timestamps updating every 5 minutes, but nothing new displayed in graphs.

For existing data to still be showing, RRD file timestamps updating, but no new data displayed... may suggest that there is an issue with probe and/or new data being stored (at all, or correctly).. ?

Running the "smokeping --check" command results in the following error:

ERROR: can't open /usr/bin/../etc/smokeping/config: No such file or directory

Note: My folder mappings are setup like 'Smokeping -> config' directory and 'Smokeping -> data' directory.

Edit: To run that above command (For users such as myself who didn't know) SSH into your unraid and then run this command: docker exec -it smokeping /bin/bash

This may be useful, I'm not too tech savvy with Linux: https://lists.oetiker.ch/pipermail/smokeping-users/2014-November/005584.html

Exerpt from a reply "In short, you either have a problem with the RRD files getting written, or your web-server/cgi reading the RRD's."

And also this post: https://github.com/oetiker/SmokePing/wiki/FAQ

FAQ mentions to run Smokeping in debug mode, but I don't know how to do this. Binhex dockers have an option to enable this which is great, perhaps Linuxserver could also implement this?

I tried to add --debug in extra parameters, but that's a no go.

This works, grabbed from binhex docker: -e "DEBUG"="true", but I can't see any additional log data from it.

I added a new website to monitor, it created the RRD file, but no data being recorded and/or displayed.

Parts of the Smokeping FAQ I'm unable to play around with are those with references to whatever the webserver runs as (emhttp?), because I don't know how Dockers work or how that's implemented.

Hit a road block for this session. Hopefully some gibberish might help lead to a solution... :)

Managed to break WebGUI access. Linuxserver docker to blame. If you change host from bridge to host mode, it doesn't work. And then changing it back to bridge mode, also doesn't work as the container port has been modified (to 8080), but not returned to 80.

Edited by scytherbladez
  • Upvote 1

I'm also having the issue in which it's not graphing any data.  I've not had any issue accessing the webgui.

I've tried deleting the docker and building it from scratch multiple times with no success.  I'd be happy to provide any data requested.  Here are the logs of it booting up:

GID/UID

[cont-init.d] done.
[services.d] done.
AH00558: httpd: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using 172.17.0.2. Set the 'ServerName' directive globally to suppress this message
FPing: probing 20 targets with step 300 s and offset 34 s.

Having same issue too. 

Just noticed this when I logged into docker and ran this

root@ea01bb46ba66:/config$ smokeping --check
root@ea01bb46ba66:/config$ ls /usr/bin/..
bin  lib  libexec  local  sbin    share

edit: so found out that the smokeping and smokeping_cfg in /usr/bin has the path above listed. I made an edit to both files to $FindBin::Bin/../../etc/smokeping/config

So that problem was fixed

root@ea01bb46ba66:/$ smokeping --check
Configuration file '/usr/bin/../../etc/smokeping/config' syntax OK.
Wondering if that last line below is causing the problem
root@ea01bb46ba66:/$ smokeping --debug
### Compiling alert detector pattern 'someloss'
### >0%,*12*,>0%,*12*,>0%
sub { 
    my $d = shift;
    my $y = $d->{loss};
    for(1){
        my $imax2 = min(@$y - 3, 12);
        my $imax1 = min(@$y - 3, 12);
        my $minlength = 3;
        my $maxlength = 27;
        next if scalar @$y < $minlength ;
        my $i1;
        for($i1=0; $i1 < min($maxlength,$imax1); $i1++){
            my $i2;
            for($i2=0; $i2 < min($maxlength-$i1,$imax2); $i2++){
                next unless defined $y->[-3-$i1-$i2]
                                and $y->[-3-$i1-$i2] =~ /^\d/
                                and $y->[-3-$i1-$i2] > 0
                                     ;                last;
            }
            return 0 if $i2 >= min($maxlength-$i1-$i2,$imax2);
            next unless defined $y->[-2-$i1]
                            and $y->[-2-$i1] =~ /^\d/
                            and $y->[-2-$i1] > 0
                                 ;            last;
        }
        return 0 if $i1 >= min($maxlength-$i1,$imax1);
        next unless defined $y->[-1]
                        and $y->[-1] =~ /^\d/
                        and $y->[-1] > 0
                             ;        return 1;
    }
    return 0;
}

Not entering multiprocess mode with '--debug'. Use '--debug-daemon' for that.
FPing: probing 20 targets with step 300 s and offset 23 s.
FPing: Executing /usr/sbin/fping -C 20 -q -B1 -r1 -i10 cixp.web.cern.ch jupiterbroadcasting.com 208.67.220.220 youtube.com www.berkley.edu www.uea.ac.uk www.telefonica.de web.mit.edu 8.8.4.4 208.67.222.222 al.ktz.me www.indiana.edu facebook.com google.com www.ucsd.edu cam.ac.uk 8.8.8.8 linuxserver.io
FPing: Got fping output: '(null): can't create raw socket (must run as root?) : Address family not supported by protocol'
I can't find any good info about this
root@ea01bb46ba66:/usr/sbin$ sudo /usr/sbin/fping
(null): can't create raw socket (must run as root?) : Address family not supported by protocol

Edited by ziggie216
On 06/07/2017 at 3:33 PM, ziggie216 said:

root@ea01bb46ba66:/config$ smokeping --check
root@ea01bb46ba66:/config$ ls /usr/bin/..
bin  lib  libexec  local  sbin    share

edit: so found out that the smokeping and smokeping_cfg in /usr/bin has the path above listed. I made an edit to both files to $FindBin::Bin/../../etc/smokeping/config

I couldn't follow what you've done here to fix that particular error.

Did you have an existing Smokeping install with graphs that had existing data? I ask because changes I make to config do appear in my existing install (Even though this error is reported) e.g. graphing period (1 hour, 3 hours etc).

Edited by scytherbladez
15 hours ago, scytherbladez said:

I couldn't follow what you've done here to fix that particular error.

Did you have an existing Smokeping install with graphs that had existing data? I ask because changes I make to config do appear in my existing install (Even though this error is reported) e.g. graphing period (1 hour, 3 hours etc).

sudo docker exec -it smokeping bash

which will allow you to use bash in the container. I had data in my graph few months ago when I first set it up. Now the graph is showing only the time line but with no ping data. I already tried removing all the smokeping docker and appdata to redownload fresh.

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, scytherbladez said:

This support thread can be closed, docker no longer supported.

On 24/06/2017 at 3:53 PM, CHBMB said:

Three of us have tried and none of us can reproduce it.  All with completely fresh appdata.

not quite sure what else you expect us to be able to do, unless you fancy paying airfare for one of us to come and hold your hand for you !!!!

@scytherbladez

Like I said three of us from ls.io have tried this container, all on Unraid and couldn't find an issue.

Now, I have a full time job, I do a lot of overtime too, I have a wife and a baby to look after, currently I have a massive amount of paperwork for my job to do at home, I recently went on holiday for a week with my family and in my limited free time, I do the linuxserver stuff, for free, it doesn't pay my bills, in fact in the earlier days we had to pay to upkeep the servers ourselves, but thanks to some generous donations from a lot of people here and some other stuff, that's no longer the case.

Why do we do this?

We all believe in free open source software, I enjoy the ethos and the people I work with, I enjoy giving back to a community, I donate to projects I use and try and contribute to fixing or identifying bugs, then once in a while, an entitled person will come along and make me question why I bother.  Now I've told you a little about my life, please feel free to tell me, why your smokeping install is more important than any of the other facets to my life, why I should give up more of my free time with my wife and kid to dedicate to smokeping.  Not saying I won't look at the issue, but it isn't massively high on my list of life priorities.

Whilst I've been typing this, I've pulled smokeping again.  And it's working.  Now put the ball in your court?  Tell me what you would like me to debug on my system to fix yours, I'll leave it running awaiting.

Now, you say the docker container is broken, that's not my experience, we've had no reported issues of non-unraid users having issues, we've got three ls.io members using 6.3.5 or v6.4rc6 who have tested smokeping and had no issues.

The code in smokeping is the same in my container as on yours.  Now lets look at the variables, the user, the network setup, the browser.

The webgui issue isn't an issue our end, that's you and not being familiar with docker and network modes.   I've reviewed the template you installed smokeping with, no changes to account for that issue.  Check for yourself here.  I'm 100% sure you did change it, it would never run on port 80 as generally the Unraid webui runs on that port.

've fixed my Webgui access problem. I noticed between the clean docker template and my existing docker template, the host port in my install was 8086 and linuxserver was 80.

I'm about 99.9% sure I didn't change this, because I don't even know how. The overview section shows the default to be 8086 too, so Linuxserver changed this at some point?

We've had no issues raised on Github from non-unraid users, again, feel free to check here.

And finally here's some screenshots of my smokeping install from tonight.

Undoubtedly there are several of you with issues, I'm guessing there's something common amongst you all, but I don't know what. 

Screenshot from 2017-07-21 00-25-56.png

Screenshot from 2017-07-21 00-26-18.png

Screenshot from 2017-07-21 00-29-16.png

docker run -d --name="smokeping" --net="bridge" -e TZ="Europe/London" -e HOST_OS="unRAID" -e "PUID"="99" -e "PGID"="100" -p 8030:80/tcp -v "/mnt/cache/.appdata/data":"/data":rw -v "/mnt/cache/.appdata/smokeping":"/config":rw linuxserver/smokeping

[fix-attrs.d] done.

_ _ _
| |___| (_) ___
| / __| | |/ _ \
| \__ \ | | (_) |
|_|___/ |_|\___/
|_|

GID/UID

[cont-init.d] done.
[services.d] done.
AH00558: httpd: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using 172.17.0.30. Set the 'ServerName' directive globally to suppress this message

FPing: probing 20 targets with step 300 s and offset 82 s.

Edited by CHBMB
Logs
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for continuing to look at this @CHBMB

I noticed that my smokeping log looks different then yours.  I'm missing all this stuff:

Are these important files that my install of the Docker is not able to find for some reason?  They do exist in my appdata config path for smokeping...

My smokeping log: 

[fix-attrs.d] done.

_ _ _
| |___| (_) ___
| / __| | |/ _ \
| \__ \ | | (_) |
|_|___/ |_|\___/
|_|

GID/UID

[cont-init.d] done.
[services.d] done.
AH00558: httpd: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using 172.17.0.4. Set the 'ServerName' directive globally to suppress this message

FPing: probing 20 targets with step 300 s and offset 255 s.

smokeping_files.JPG

11 minutes ago, alfi33 said:

Are these important files that my install of the Docker is not able to find for some reason? 

Well, I guess that wasn't it.  I deleted my smokeping docker, deleted the smokeping appdata folder, chose another location for /data (just for good measure), and then re-added smokeping.  This time I had mappings for all those files in my log that I mentioned earlier but I still don't have data in my graphs.

Oh, well. I'll keep looking...