Server Upgrade

... Might be overkill,

:)  No such thing !!  :)

Edit:  still working it, might actually still have bad memory.  Moving DIMMs around made the error change, so need to figure it out.  Havent actually put what I know is good where others are bad, so need to work that angle.  Then, maybe one at a time if I still cant get a handle on it.

---

garycase, question for you.  I ask because I have had very few issues with hardware in the past, so I thought to get your advice on where the replacement comes from.

When I got the new mobo and everything finally set up, the motherboard was complaining about a bad dimm/stick memory.  So, I went the easy route and replaced the memory.  I finally got the replacement memory and installed it today only to get the same message.  I want to assume at this point that the issue is obviously the motherboard and it needs replaced.  If I was dealing with amazon, this is easy, but I have also heard horror stories on newegg (although others say it is fine), is my replacement with newegg as it is within 30 days or is it with supermicro?  thanks

If it wasnt for the dumb memory things would be awesome by the way.

For the record, this is the message I see.

PEI -- Intel Reference Code Execution          B7

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've found Newegg to be fine as long as you are within then 30 day window for their support.    They DO enforce that 30 days ... so if you want to replace the motherboard be sure you do it quickly, before you get close to that window.  As long as you're within the 30 days, they will accept the return and ship you a new board (or whatever the component may be).

In fact, the 30 days is based on the original order date =>  the only time I've had an issue with them was several years ago when I had a defective component; returned it; and then the replacement was also defective.    When I called to replace that, it had been 31 days since my order, and they said I'd have to deal directly with the manufacturer.  While I did get that resolved after a conversation with a senior manager, ever since then what I do if I need to return something is return it for credit; and then buy another of the same thing [This starts a new 30 day window].

• 2 weeks later...

By the way, it seems my issue with the mobo dimm slot was that I had a mount post where it shouldn't be and when dimm c was populated, I was shorting it out...

Also, the message telling me I'm running at 1867mhz for memory is simply because that's what my processor supports and not because of some issue, so accept and continue, right,?