Folders missing after move from RFS to XFS

DoeBoye

Hi All,

As the subject states. I shifted all my drives over to XFS by transferring files to an empty drive, converting the now empty drive over to XFS, moving the contents of the next drive over to the newly converted XFS drive.

Process worked great, everything moved over as expected. All drives converted.

The problem is that some of the files/folders are no longer being picked up by my User shares. They still exist if you go through the disk shares, but User shares don't see them.

I made sure included/excluded disks were properly selected. I even manually chose all the disks individually, just in case. I've rebooted the server, still no love.

I've run the new permissions script since I've moved to v6, so I doubt that would help.

Is there a way to 'reset' all the User Shares?... I suppose I could delete the offending user share completely and re-create it... that might work....

Any ideas? I'm not at home, so can't include a log file yet, though I looked through it last night and didn't see anything obvious.

Thanks!

When you were checking the share settings did you remember to check the global share settings as well as the individual share settings in case there is a mismatch on the drives available at the two levels?  Since you say have run the New Permissions utility I cannot think of anything else that might cause the symptoms described.

When you were checking the share settings did you remember to check the global share settings as well as the individual share settings in case there is a mismatch on the drives available at the two levels? 

Thanks! Good idea. I never checked the global settings, so it's worth a shot.... That said, I was already on v6 before I started shuffling files around, and didn't have this issue, so you would think it was set correctly... But definitely worth a look!

Is there a way to 'reset' all the User Shares?... I suppose I could delete the offending user share completely and re-create it...

The User Shares are a virtual file system built fresh each time you start the array, then torn down and destroyed each time you stop the array.  There's no reset necessary.  Just stop and restart the array, and you will have a new fresh User Shares file system, built according to the current share settings, both global and per share.

The User Shares are a virtual file system built fresh each time you start the array, then torn down and destroyed each time you stop the array.  There's no reset necessary.  Just stop and restart the array, and you will have a new fresh User Shares file system, built according to the current share settings, both global and per share.

Thanks for the info! I didn't know that's how it worked.

As far as my issue, turns out that during my transfer process, one of my disks somehow also became a user share. I had a 'disk2' User share, as well as a 'disk2' disk share... Obviously the conflicting names were causing things to go slightly awry :).

I've moved everything out of the user share and deleted it, and my files have re-shown up in the correct User share!

Not sure how this could have happened, as I'm fairly sure Unraid doesn't let you use reserved names for User shares, but at the end of the day, I've got my files back :)

Thanks all! :)

Not sure how this could have happened, as I'm fairly sure Unraid doesn't let you use reserved names for User shares, but at the end of the day, I've got my files back :)

The GUI may not let you create a user share with the reserved name, but if you go 'under-the-covers' and create a top level folder with a reserved name this gets automatically converted to a user share.  You probably did it by accident when copying the files as the presence/absence of a trailing slash can have this effect when providing the paths to rsync.

There have been others who have made the same mistake.  Maybe at some point Limetech will add some additional logic which detects this scenario and handles it in a way that does not hide the disk share (perhaps renaming the user share that is about to be created in some way)