SMART Warnings - does it mean I should replace the drive?

Hi Guys,

Unraid just let me know about this warning - should I replace the drive or is it ok and just doing its thing?

197 Current Pending Sector 0x0012 100 100 000 Old age Always - 120

198 Offline Uncorrectable 0x0010 100 100 000 Old age Offline - 120

Thanks in advance :-)

Stuart

PS This drive passed Pre Clear last week...

Had a good read and it would appear those errors are nothing to be concerned about - just double checking thats the case - if anyone could offer a second opinion would be greatful! :-)

That wiki says

Pending sectors occur as a result of a read failures. An unreadable sector will interfere with the reconstruction of a failed drive. Pending sectors need to be cleared as soon as possible because 2 drives with unreadable sectors will most likely be unrecoverable within unRAID. Data disks with a small number of pending sectors should be fairly easy to recover with utilities in Linux or Windows and If anyone knows of a Mac utility that can recover Reiserfs please update this entry.

The safest procedure is to replace the drive with a pre-cleared spare. The original drive can then be pre-cleared and the pending sector count should go to zero. The original drive can then be used as a spare. Multiple pre-clear cycles should not be required and the disk should be RMAed if 1 cycle doesn't work. If the drive cannot be returned then multiple cycles may restore the drive to a usable state.

If no spare is available then follow the next procedure to re-enable the drive. The pending sector count should be zero after rebuilding. If not then replace.

Archived