[SOLVED - FALSE ALARM] SOS! Very strange behavior by unraid!

I am using unRAID 6.0.1 on 2 servers.

I mostly copy my new data to server 1, and then rather than copying data from server 1 to server 2, I just remove a disk from server 1 and pop it into server 2, set it as a new config on server 2 and thus have 2 updated. In server 1, I would replace the missing disk with a fresh disk. This way it rebuilds the data from parity.

Today, I did a similar maneuver - I remove disk 3 from server 1 and put it in my server 2. But instead of using a fresh disk to put into server 1, I removed the disk 3 from server 2 and put it in place of the missing disk. It so happens that this disk 3 I am moving from server 2 to server 1 is originally a disk that used to be in server 1 many moons ago. Hope this has not confused everyone, but I am just trying to create the whole background in case it makes a difference.

Now when I powered back on server 1, I was taken aback to see that in Main, unraid is telling me that disk 1 is the wrong disk! I was quite sure that I had pulled out disk 3 and that should be the one missing. Since there is no parity on my other server, I started that array and even verified from the disk's contents that the disk I pulled out was indeed disk 3. But server 1 is giving me a disk 1 missing message!

I have screenshots of server 1 from before removing the disk and after. I don't know how relevant it is, but if you notice , my disk 1 has moved to disk 3 but the sdx assignment of the disk has remained the same! Now I am in a dilemma, I don't know how to proceed! I am scared that if I believe the dashboard and let unraid assign my actual disk 3 as disk 1, the parity check process could end up ruining my data! Possible, right? Please let me know how to proceed.

I have not yet written any data to either tower although I have started both - server 1 by neglecting the missing disk, and server 2 without parity.

Screenshots below, first is before pulling out the drive from server 1 and the second is after

2nuk5y1.jpg

x43al3.jpg

I did that. I kept the disk slot blank, and started it. All the data is fine and correlates perfectly on a physical disk basis.

Do you think it would be just fine to assign the new disk to the empty slot and have the data rebuilt from parity? I really hope so!

Yes. And rebuilding a data disk will not have any effect on parity or the other data disks. Only that disk will be written with the contents you saw from the emulation.

I did that. I kept the disk slot blank, and started it. All the data is fine and correlates perfectly on a physical disk basis.

Good - what you see in that state is exactly what you should expect to see after a rebuild.

Do you think it would be just fine to assign the new disk to the empty slot and have the data rebuilt from parity? I really hope so!

If the data was there when the disk was missing and being emulated then it should be there after rebuild.

Just a small point of terminology, but the data is not "rebuilt from parity", but rebuilt from "all the other data disks plus the parity disk".  Just mentioning it as many people do not seem to realise that all the other data disks (not just the parity disk) need to be OK to rebuild a failed disk.

Thanks for all the help guys! Everything is normal. But guess what, the disk never did jump slots like I thought it did. A moron from my office had made the change without informing me. I realized this after I went through the user shares and found that the shares excluded and included disk 1 in the same manner as I had set up for disk 3 and I knew there was no way unraid was going to reconfigure itself like that, so I asked around. So this wise ass made the changes and put disk 3 as 1 and made the relevant changes in the user shares too. Had my heart in my mouth for a while.