Hardware Raid.

carp969

I'm totally new to unraid. I come from an entirely Windows world but I'm very good with Centos and Fedora based distribs.

I've managed to source three year old servers for a vmware/windows learning lab and plan to use unraid as a NAS to provide iSCSI storage for it.

My question is.  All of these servers are enterprise grade and thus have good BBU Raid on them. On the Esxi boxes I'm not going to bother but for the unraid one is it best practice to mount each of the six SAS drives as a single drive and let unraid handle everything or as just one big hardware raid 5 arrary?

I'm totally new to unraid. I come from an entirely Windows world but I'm very good with Centos and Fedora based distribs.

I've managed to source three year old servers for a vmware/windows learning lab and plan to use unraid as a NAS to provide iSCSI storage for it.

My question is.  All of these servers are enterprise grade and thus have good BBU Raid on them. On the Esxi boxes I'm not going to bother but for the unraid one is it best practice to mount each of the six SAS drives as a single drive and let unraid handle everything or as just one big hardware raid 5 arrary?

unRAID is not RAID. I suggest you study the wiki to clear up some misconceptions you may have about unRAID based on your experience with other systems. When you can answer your question yourself then you will be off to a good start.