win10 vm issues

luca2

Hi,

I recently installed my 1st win10 vm. Only issue I have is that applications like Coretemp, HWmonitor, GPU-Z, etc are not reporting back the temps of GPU/CPU.

Before I had not any problem with my win8 vm.

Also, CPU-Z is not reporting back CPU voltages and frequency.

Why is this happening? Maybe it is related to win10?

Rgds.

Hi,

I recently installed my 1st win10 vm. Only issue I have is that applications like Coretemp, HWmonitor, GPU-Z, etc are not reporting back the temps of GPU/CPU.

Before I had not any problem with my win8 vm.

Also, CPU-Z is not reporting back CPU voltages and frequency.

Why is this happening? Maybe it is related to win10?

Rgds.

Hmm.  Not using those tools myself, so can't say for sure, but if I get some time to test this in the next week or so, I will.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You cannot run this programs as they needed access to your actual motherboard. All those tweaks and monitors, anything related to actual HARDWARE Will not work and just cause overall problems. They are called Virtual Machines for a reason, you emulate the hardware to let you appear like your are on a normal PC. But far from it, while you can pass-through your CPU, GPU and some USB controllers, but this is farm from working as intended. Higher end CPU's can allow you access to more of your PC, but at what point are you passing it all through to a VM instead of your PC?

I really don't see if there is a reason or even possible to pass-through your motherboard. Passing a part of your PC through the VM essentially eliminates it from being used by anything else.

USB ports make sense, for flash drives and external devices.

Individual PCI slots can be useful in rare occasions as well.

GPU's are great for Gaming VMs or for HTPC's, but again, once assigned to a VM, its usually off limits. For the rest of the PC, without a lot of extra work. Gaming VM's are a niche and either for the more wealthy or just plain E-Peeners!

Virtual Machines are great specifically for the fact that they emulate. You can run several different clients at once. Its quick, easy and you can rebuild a new one if needed.

You can build another PC for beans now, and if you don't need a lot of HP, there are always Raspberry Pi.

Lastly, Windows 10 is a great VM, I have several setup and have passed through some hardware, it takes some patience and a will to learn, because you end up fishing through a lot of forums and posts, not just on unRaid.