OK to remove USB after boot?

I find myself in a unique situation and was wondering if Unraid will still function normally after it has been booted it up and the array is started, if it is ok to remove the USB temporarily?

I run everything via VMWare ESXi including unraid as a VM.  And i would like to connect some files from unraid onto a portable HD.  Can I unplug my unraid USB and to make use of the port for the portable HD?  If not, I'll have to pull this machine out from the wall to get into the back of it.

I find myself in a unique situation and was wondering if Unraid will still function normally after it has been booted it up and the array is started, if it is ok to remove the USB temporarily?

I run everything via VMWare ESXi including unraid as a VM.  And i would like to connect some files from unraid onto a portable HD.  Can I unplug my unraid USB and to make use of the port for the portable HD?  If not, I'll have to pull this machine out from the wall to get into the back of it.

Removing the USB after boot is NOT a good idea and definitely not supported.  The USB flash houses all the configuration for your OS, including your disk arrangements.  Removing it will guarantee an "unclean shutdown" when you next go to reboot the system, which will result in a parity check having to be performed.  It will also prevent you from making any changes to the system.

In short:  DO NOT REMOVE THE USB BOOT DEVICE FROM UNRAID...EVER!

Thanks.

That's what I figured.  My original thought was to remove to copy some files and then replace it.  But I decided to just plug the portable HD into another machine in the home. The transfer will take a little longer moving across a cat5 wired connection vs direct on the machine. But it saves me from messing up my unraid config, array and shares.