Plex Media Player

Has anybody tried or know how to get the embedded version of the new plex media player working in a VM?

There is an intel-64 and a raspberry pi 2 .img

This would be a nice little VM to run on an unRAID HTPC alongside steamOS and openelec.

I tried converting it into a .iso and creating it under a linux VM (and openelec), but the VM shows "no bootable device"

Plex Media Player for embedded devices is a small Linux based operating system that turns your Raspberry Pi 2 or Intel HTPC into a dedicated media playback device.

Perhaps I'm being ignorant here, but doesn't the Raspberry PI use an ARM CPU?  If so, its code is very different, and there's no chance of getting an img for it to work on an Intel board.  I'm pretty sure you need an img that's labeled as i686 code.  Unless you're loading an emulator first.  But I'm talking off the top of my head, with no experience here, yet!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's plex' new desktop media player but self contained in openelec, instead of having to install it on windows/Mac, allowing it to be installed on various machines.

oh... i must keep up with this since i am building a new machine to replace the roku sloppy user interface

It's another piece to an all in one htpc...but at the moment it's plex pass only.

It's plex' new desktop media player but self contained in openelec, instead of having to install it on windows/Mac, allowing it to be installed on various machines.

oh... i must keep up with this since i am building a new machine to replace the roku sloppy user interface

It's another piece to an all in one htpc...but at the moment it's plex pass only.

got that cover, lifetime, yes im that awesome

I keep reading that the interface in PMP is plain awful!

You are correct. I have tried it twice now, giving it a full week per try, on my living room setup. I cannot stand it. Convoluted. Takes me 2-4x as many clicks to reach my media as Plex Home Theater does. It is similar to the Plex on Vizio smart tv's.

Contemplating a switch to Kodi for my home viewing pleasure, while keeping Plex for on-the-road watching.

I keep reading that the interface in PMP is plain awful!

Contemplating a switch to Kodi for my home viewing pleasure, while keeping Plex for on-the-road watching.

Exactly what I do now.  Although, if you are a PHT fan, check out OpenPHT.  Plex made PHT opensource so it may actually get some long awaited love!  :)

So far I think only Windows and MACOSX are supported.

John

• 5 months later...

Ok, here goes!

First download the Plex Media Player generic image (PlexMediaPlayer-1.1.1.329-cc2cc067.Generic-x86_64, current).

Place it somewhere on your unraid server.

Create a new linux vm. Be sure to check advanced view.

Set machine type to pc-i440fx-2.5 and seabios (not sure if ovmf will work too, but i440fx is necessary for the IDE controller further down)

Assign the download img as virtual disk 1. Set as IDE controller!

Create a new virtual disk 2,big enough to be the real VM hdd. Set as IDE controller!

You should now be able to boot the VM into the installation of plex. The installer should find the second hdd!

Just install to this hdd. This should go pretty quick.

When the install is finished shut down the VM.

Remove the downloaded img from the VM config and place the vdisk 2 you created to the first slot. HDD slot 2 should now be empty.

Be sure to set your ethernet bridge correct.

Assign your GPU and soundcard (without GPU plex won't boot!)

At this point it should boot into plex, but ethernet will not work. Shut down again.

Edit the XML file and change the ethernet driver to e1000. (or copy ethernet device from my xml)

That is all. Plex should now boot and find your unraid server.!

All i had to do now was add the MSI interrupts fix for my passed through gpu hdmi sound.

Has been working fine for 3 days now.

I have added a copy ofmy XML. (notice i still have the pmp.img configured as cdrom, this is NOT necessary and is just a remainder of previous trial and error.)

XML.txt

• 3 months later...

Ok, here goes!

First download the Plex Media Player generic image (PlexMediaPlayer-1.1.1.329-cc2cc067.Generic-x86_64, current).

Place it somewhere on your unraid server.

Create a new linux vm. Be sure to check advanced view.

Set machine type to pc-i440fx-2.5 and seabios (not sure if ovmf will work too, but i440fx is necessary for the IDE controller further down)

Assign the download img as virtual disk 1. Set as IDE controller!

Create a new virtual disk 2,big enough to be the real VM hdd. Set as IDE controller!

You should now be able to boot the VM into the installation of plex. The installer should find the second hdd!

Just install to this hdd. This should go pretty quick.

When the install is finished shut down the VM.

Remove the downloaded img from the VM config and place the vdisk 2 you created to the first slot. HDD slot 2 should now be empty.

Be sure to set your ethernet bridge correct.

Assign your GPU and soundcard (without GPU plex won't boot!)

At this point it should boot into plex, but ethernet will not work. Shut down again.

Edit the XML file and change the ethernet driver to e1000. (or copy ethernet device from my xml)

That is all. Plex should now boot and find your unraid server.!

All i had to do now was add the MSI interrupts fix for my passed through gpu hdmi sound.

Has been working fine for 3 days now.

I have added a copy ofmy XML. (notice i still have the pmp.img configured as cdrom, this is NOT necessary and is just a remainder of previous trial and error.)

Thanks Bro! You made my day!