[Support] Linuxserver.io - Unifi

This morning I woke to find my 4 devices (1 x USG, 3 x AP-AC) are intermittently disconnecting.  Then after a while reconnecting, then disconnecting.  Repeat.  Not all at the same time, just whenever they feel like it of course.

Before I start set-informing, re-adopting, resetting etc, has anyone seen this behaviour before in what was a perfectly stable functioning Unifi setup?  Controller software is 5.6.36.  I've stopped and started the container a few times as well as restarted the devices. but the behavior continues.

I have been following the saga with the UniFi controller 5.7.20 release over on the Ubiquiti forums.  It got messy for a while with lots of user complaints and no replies for weeks from UBNT.  They started responding last week and it appears the issue is not with the 5.7.20 controller software, rather, it is with the firmware "upgrades" that came with it.  3.9.21 is the last stable firmware release that did not exhibit the problems being reported.  3.9.24 broke a lot of things wireless related (not just wireless up-link).  They now have a 3.9.27 firmware release in the works (in testing now) that, supposedly, addresses the issues. 

5.7.20 controller software will work with 3.9.21 firmware.  Some users have rolled back to 5.6.30/36 controller software in addition to rolling back firmware to 3.9.21 and some left the controller software at 5.7.20 and just rolled back firmware to 3.9.21 from 3.9.24.

At any rate, it appears a solution could be in sight with 5.7.20 and 3.9.27 firmware when it is released.  It is probably best to hold off on a container update until 3.9.27 is in the wild for a few days given the disaster that was 3.9.24 with the initial 5.7.20 controller release.

Here is the thread in question (pages 1-3 are user complaints of issues and lack of comments from UBNT.  Pages 4-5 are when UBNT employees get in the mix and start talking problems and solutions).

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Wireless/issues-with-5-7-20/td-p/2280208

Edited by Hoopster

Looking into my random disconnects, I found a very old IP address that keeps being referenced no matter how many times I try to kill it.

It seems to stem from the container somehow.  here are some screenshots.

Note:  The correct IP should be 192.1687.1.10

unRaid Docker config page showing the WebUI setting.   

unidock_dynip.png.a6fe0d65e501d06aea4112f500a95caf.png

After saving, I go to the main docker page and highlight the WebUi option.  Look at the address at the bottom of the browser, it wants to go to 192.168.1.240...

unidock_dynip_webui.png.b598a473aa622a9cc5d81d7e4414a8f0.png

So I changed the docker WebUI setting to a fixed IP

unidock_namedport.png.1453030b2be506bdf3192520fff3d3f9.png

Save, then look at the WebUI address again and still get .240:

unidock_namedport_webui.png.32b1af0d0d839cc8da5c607ecea09932.png

ssh'ing into the IPs, I found the .240 address in the /cfg/mgmt file.  Removing them works fiune for a while but they return after a docker restart (I suspect).

Can anyone tell me where this .240 is coming from and how I can remove it?

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, geekypenguin said:

Any news on when we might expect an update to 5.7.x? I've been playing with ipv6 but native support would be a great help

We made 5.7 available some time back. Read the Readme on github. Link in first post. 

4 hours ago, saarg said:

We made 5.7 available some time back. Read the Readme on github. Link in first post. 

I'm just wondering if there's going to be a way to change from the 5.7.2 unstable branch back to the stable branch once 5.7.x is released to stable. 

1 hour ago, heratic said:

I'm just wondering if there's going to be a way to change from the 5.7.2 unstable branch back to the stable branch once 5.7.x is released to stable. 

You can change the tag when/if that happens. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/14/2018 at 3:19 PM, saarg said:

You can change the tag when/if that happens. 

Is there a tag for stable? I know no tag will install LTS and “unstable” will install the latest unstable release, but github doesn’t list any other alternatives.

Can anyone make sense what is a stable version combination of the Unifi controller and firmware?

I see that this docker container is now at controller version 5.6.37 and the latest Unifi firmware is 3.9.27.  I am skeptical of the current 3.9.27 version since its thread on the Ubiquiti forum is at 18 pages which is a sign that lots of users are having problems.

I am currently at controller version 5.6.30 and firmware version 3.9.3.7537.  I am mostly concerned about iOS clients not reconnecting.  Just wondering if it is safe to update my Unifi docker container to 5.6.37 and staying at firmware 3.9.3.7537 unless there is a more current stable firmware.

On 5/3/2018 at 9:33 AM, mifronte said:

Can anyone make sense what is a stable version combination of the Unifi controller and firmware?

I am personally running the 3.9.27 firmware with the 5.6.37 controller with no issues. 

The combination of 5.7.x controller and 3.9.24 firmware had lots of issues, but, 3.9.27 firmware seems to have resolved many of those even with the 5.7.x controller.

Unless installed with the "unstable" tag, everyone who has updated this UniFi container is now running the 5.6.37 controller.  My firmware version is 3.9.27.8537.  I have no issues at all with any of our many iOS clients (iPhones and iPads) connecting and remaining connected with this combination.

Edited by Hoopster
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, jonathanm said:

I have tried this and it still is refusing to adopt. I had to use port 9080 for the docker but the container is still set to 8080. I have also tried port 9080 and it still hasn't worked.

image.thumb.png.5d7937cfa517bbadd33141b4faaa04ab.png

I have the same issue being reported here. My unifi controller (v5.6.37) could not connect with the AP's (v3.9.27.8537) or the other way around once the unifi docker controller was updated. This happened several times in the last few weeks, every time the unifi docker was updated. The unifi docker was set to bridged network mode.

The AP's were set via set-inform to a FQDN; "htttp://xxxx.xxxxx.xx:8080/inform". Which is reachable and works to adapt new remote AP's. I currently don't have AP's on a remote site running. But I have tested it a week ago since I plan to help out and manage remote sites running Ubiquiti hardware.

Once the unifi docker was updated yesterday, I verified the set-inform address configured on the AP's using command "info". For some reason it was set to the docker's NAT'ed IP 172.17.0.5 instead of the previously set FQDN. There is no DNS entry called unifi pointing towards IP 172.17.0.5, so the setting must have come from the unifi controller at some point in time.

I read in this thread that the bridged IP doesn't work well, so I switched to custom. I set it to 192.168.123.3 in the 192.168.123.0/24 range of my UnRaid server (IP 192.168.123.10). Once set and the unfi docker came online, the AP's were all connected. So, that works like a charm.

Curious though I verified the set-inform address again on the AP's. It seems it is set to the new IP; "http://192.168.123.3:8080/inform". It seems that the controller changes the set-inform on at least local hardware. I currently don't have remote AP's online, so I don't know that it will do with those. Inside the unifi controller, the setting "hostname/ip" is set to the FQDN address and not to the old or new IP. The Ubiquiti cloud connect feature also works after the IP change without any issues.

The AP's are all UAP-AC-Lite's. No other hardware is connected at this point. I have another 3x AP's configured, which will be installed in the next couple days on a remote site. I will have to test them again before deploying them and I'm curious what a future controller update will do to them. I will keep you posted when I have any relevant information.

• Upvote 1
On 5/2/2018 at 5:15 PM, wgstarks said:

Is there a tag for stable? I know no tag will install LTS and “unstable” will install the latest unstable release, but github doesn’t list any other alternatives.

Would like to know this as well. I'd love to be running on stable, instead of LTS, since this is just for my home lab, and not in any sort of real production environment.

LTS is nice as the default, and I don't want to run UNSTALBE releases, but anything designed as stable would be great to be able to install, especially with firmware auto-update enabled on the APs, I would be able to simply set it to a stable tag, set it to update on a schedule and forget about it :D

4 hours ago, dorgan said:

How would I go about pointing to UNSTABLE, I dont see a field for version anywhere.

See the Docker Hub or Github page for the docker - links in first post.  It explains there how to use the unstable tag to install the latest 5.7.x controller.

Edited by Hoopster
15 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

See the Docker Hub or Github page for the docker - links in first post.  It is explains there how to use the unstable tag to install the latest 5.7.x controller.

But how do i modify that in the unraid template?

Hey all,

I went in Unifi to update my access points after I was made aware of an update only to find that I was not able to get into the webUI from the docker interface. Everything else is working well on unRaid. I open the webUI for unifi and it gives the certificate error it always does, after I bypass the error, then just times out. I rebooted the docker, deleted/reapplied docker, changed IP, verified on my router that there were no IP issues and even rebooted the server.

I have installed a few things since I last went into the Unifi controller - binhex-deluge-VPN (Bridge), OpenVPN (host), and pihole (br0 to my unraid server).

I am not using the VPN and pihole when I try to connect. Something strange has started to happen though, I turned off all the dockers (Plex, sonarr etc....) and now when i try to go to the webui of the only running docker, the certificate error doesn't even pop up, i just get an indication from chrome that it's "loading...." on the title bar.

I also tried turning off my windows security essentials and firewall on my PC I'm using to connect to unifi. I'm baffled.

Thanks all,

Tom

Hey all,

I went in Unifi to update my access points after I was made aware of an update only to find that I was not able to get into the webUI from the docker interface. Everything else is working well on unRaid. I open the webUI for unifi and it gives the certificate error it always does, after I bypass the error, then just times out. I rebooted the docker, deleted/reapplied docker, changed IP, verified on my router that there were no IP issues and even rebooted the server.

I have installed a few things since I last went into the Unifi controller - binhex-deluge-VPN (Bridge), OpenVPN (host), and pihole (br0 to my unraid server).

I am not using the VPN and pihole when I try to connect. Something strange has started to happen though, I turned off all the dockers (Plex, sonarr etc....) and now when i try to go to the webui of the only running docker, the certificate error doesn't even pop up, i just get an indication from chrome that it's "loading...." on the title bar.

I also tried turning off my windows security essentials and firewall on my PC I'm using to connect to unifi. I'm baffled.

Thanks all,

Tom

Try a different browser and clear the cache and cookies etc

Failing that, what happens with a fresh install?
  • trurl locked this topic