[Support] Linuxserver.io - Unifi

Any recommendations on how I should handle migrating the Unifi controller from my existing Windows PC to the docker container in UnRAID? I'm currently running v5.7.20 on the Windows PC, and made a backup of it. However, when I started going through the setup process on the UnRAID docker container it said that it could not import the backup as the backup was made from a newer version. Also, I wasn't seeing any "devices on the network" during the new setup. I assume this is because I have to first "forget" them on the Windows PC controller?

However, I'm worried that I'll end the connection to the Windows PC controller, start setting up the new controller in docker, and then will be unable to import my old settings. Any thoughts on how I should best handle this?

If you've installed the LSIO Unifi container as default, it is version 5.6.37 (the LTS version).  If you need the 5.7.x branch, you'll need to change the repository to linuxserver/unifi:unstable in the Docker config.  Once that is done it should be 5.7.23 and you should be able to import your existing backup.

As for the forgetting of devices, there are 2 ways you can go about it.  If you plan to give the docker the same IP as the previous Windows controller, then you just import the backup and the devices will show up.  If you're migrating to another IP address, you'll either need to forget the devices and re-adopt in the new controller, or SSH into the AP's and re-run the set-inform command to point them to the new controller.  There are other ways to do it as well, but a bit more convoluted (via the override setting in the controller).

19 minutes ago, Handl3vogn said:

Is there any way I can get on the Stable release insted of the LTS stable? (LTS stable just released versjon 5.6.39)

Want to use the latest versjon like the newly released UniFi 5.8.23 Stable.

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Updates-Blog/UniFi-5-8-23-Stable-has-been-released/ba-p/2399028

Not at present with this docker. If you want to read through the last few pages of this thread you’ll see some discussion regarding this topic.

When using the default config and ports I cannot get the unifi controller to connect to my AP, both switches connects ok but my AP just says adopting.

When I change host settings in docker template from brigde to host my AP connects. Any suggestions? 

Edit:

Found a solution. Everything is now working in bridge mode:
This solved it for me:

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Wireless/UniFi-is-stuck-at-Adopting/m-p/1934672/highlight/true#M228055

Edited by Handl3vogn

the 5.7 branch is now unsupported, 5.8 has taken it's place.  just FYI.

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Routing-Switching/UniFi-Controller-Releases-Updated-Jun-27th-2018/m-p/2400866

I'm still using the LTS, but i'm sure there's users clamoring to get onto 5.8
Until it hits the Xenial repo nothing will change, and anyone after this that asks will get ignored.

I think it's fair to say that most of the ls.io members patience is tried by the constant debating of this container and updates, labelling etc.

(This isn't aimed at you@Dephcon )
35 minutes ago, CHBMB said:

Until it hits the Xenial repo nothing will change, and anyone after this that asks will get ignored.

I think it's fair to say that most of the ls.io members patience is tried by the constant debating of this container and updates, labelling etc.

(This isn't aimed at you@Dephcon )

Whoops, I just posed this question on GitHub, before I saw your above post.

My question on GitHub was if the plan would be for 'unstable' to point to 5.8.x (once the change hits the Xenial repo, that is). Is there a way for us to track when it hits the Xenial repo, by the way?

I don't mind changing a tag, and don't really care if 'unstable' points to 'stable.' I just want to figure out the plan before I try to port my existing Unifi 5.7.20 settings from a Windows PC to this docker container. (See my post at the top of this page for details on my situation).

I'm thinking that I should be able to change the docker repo to ':unstable' now, which will bring it to 5.7.23 (I believe). And then I should be able to bring my settings over. But should I expect to be able to (at a later time) upgrade from 5.7.23 to 5.8.x while staying on the 'unstable' branch?

Edited by Magic815
8 minutes ago, Magic815 said:

Whoops, I just posed this question on GitHub, before I saw your above post.

Is there a way for us to track when it hits the Xenial repo? My question on GitHub was if the plan would be for 'unstable' to point to 5.8.x (once the change hits the Xenial repo, that is).

I don't mind changing a tag, and don't really care if 'unstable' points to 'stable.' I just want to figure out the plan before I try to port my existing Unifi 5.7.20 settings from a Windows PC to this docker container. (See my post at the top of this page for details on my situation). I'm thinking that I should be able to change the docker repo to ':unstable' now, which will bring it to 5.7.23 (I believe). And then I should be able to bring my settings over. But should I expect to be able to (at a later time) upgrade from 5.7.23 to 5.8.x while staying on the 'unstable' branch?

I need to chat with the guys, but if Unifi are dropping support for 5.7 you can be pretty sure so will we.  

Actually I haven't phrased that quite right.  Essentially we update when Unifi release an updated deb file on this page.

https://www.ubnt.com/download/unifi

16 hours ago, CHBMB said:

Actually I haven't phrased that quite right.  Essentially we update when Unifi release an updated deb file on this page. 

https://www.ubnt.com/download/unifi

To expand further, for everyone.... When ubnt releases a new stable on their forum they provide a direct link that's available immediately.  It doesn't make it to the official repos/software page until usually a week or so later, in case a last minute bug is discovered as it limits exposure.   This has happened on more than a few occasions over the past couple years which is why LS.io calls the stable path "unstable" ;)

This is why when you see the release notes, this container isn't updated immediately as the software isn't generally available yet.  There's another container provided on this forum in which the creator pulls software from the ubnt forum, if you can't shutup and wait, use that one.  Those of us that understand the LS.io deployment model are tired of seeing "why aren't you on x.x.x yet!?" every other post.

Edited by Dephcon
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, Dephcon said:

To expand further, for everyone.... When ubnt releases a new stable on their forum they provide a direct link that's available immediately.  It doesn't make it to the official repos/software page until usually a week or so later, in case a last minute bug is discovered as it limits exposure.   This has happened on more than a few occasions over the past couple years which is why LS.io calls the stable path "unstable" ;)

This is why when you see the release notes, this container isn't updated immediately as the software isn't generally available yet.  There's another container provided on this forum in which the creator pulls software from the ubnt forum, if you can't shutup and wait, use that one.  Those of us that understand the LS.io deployment model are tired of seeing "why aren't you on x.x.x yet!?" every other post.

I think I'm in love with you?  Want to join us on the dark side? :)

4 hours ago, IamSpartacus said:

Is it safe to assume since UniFi has now ended support for 5.7.x and 5.8.x is the new stable that once it's available for download the "unstable" tag will upgrade to 5.8.x?

It looks like 5.6.x support ends in November.  Apparently, 5.8.x is more stable than 5.7.x  and they did not want to move it to LTS. Probably a good decision as the 5.7.x release had a lot of initial problems which do not appear to have carried over to the 5.8.x branch.

Ubiquiti has 4 months to make sure 5.8.x is very stable since it will have to be the next LTS version when 5.6.x support ends.

42 minutes ago, tamito said:

Do you create new unifi configuration file in /config/nginx/site-confs/  or edit default one? @IamSpartacus

I create new ones for all my subdomains.  So I have a unifi file in site-confs for my unifi.mydomain.com subdomain that look as follows.  Just change MYDOMAIN.COM to your domain.

map $http_upgrade $connection_upgrade {
    default upgrade;
    ''      close;
}

server {
    listen 80;
    listen [::]:80 ipv6only=on;
    listen 443 ssl;
    listen [::]:443 ipv6only=on ssl;

server_name unifi.MYDOMAIN.COM;
    client_max_body_size 2G;

ssl_dhparam /etc/ssl/certs/dhparam.pem;