***GUIDE*** Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan – VM on unRAID

Wrote up a new guide for creating a fresh install of OS X El Capitan:

https://macosxvirtualmachinekvm.wordpress.com/guide-mac-os-x-10-11-el-capitan-vm-on-unraid/

EDIT:

Here is my link to my OS X icons for unRAID:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=43816.msg422039#msg422039

@danofun wrote up a guide to get OS Sierra working (I have not had a chance to test this so please differ questions to danofun):

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=43816.msg500443#msg500443

How to upgrade from Yosemite 10.10 to El Capitan 10.11

[*]Download the "Mac Files.zip" from the guide above

[*]Copy the "enoch_rev2795_boot" bootloader file to your unRAID server

[*]Shutdown your Mac VM and replace the old bootloader with then new enoch one

[*]Start your Mac VM

[*]Copy the new "org.chameleon.boot.plist" from the "Mac Files" into your Extra folder

[*]Download the OS X El Capitan.app from the Mac App Store

[*]Once the Mac VM restarts, stop the Mac from auto booting by hitting any key

[*]Type the following after boot: “KernelBooter_kexts”=”Yes” “CsrActiveConfig”=”103”

[*]Let the install finish

Any Mac will work and nothing bad will happen as all of them are the same code. I have not attempted to install server so the honest answer is I have no clue?? That being said, any software I have tried on my VM works like a vanilla Mac so I would be surprised if you did run into issues (unless server also does something with hardware? then you may run into issues).

No idea what's i'm doing wrong here, but when I try to start up my stuff I get an error that says

Cannot access storage file '/mnt/cache/vm_images/default/OSX-10-11.img' (as uid:0, gid:100): No such file or directory

From SSH you can see my permissions for these files. What did I do something wrong?

root@Vault:/mnt/cache/vm_isos# ls -la
total 7489927
drwxrwxrwx  2 nobody users        104 Nov  5 10:18 ./
drwxrwxrwx 11 nobody users        296 Nov  5 10:15 ../
-rw-rw-rw-  1 nobody users 7662202880 Nov  5 10:13 Install_OS_X_10.11.1_El_Capitan.iso

root@Vault:/mnt/cache/vm_images/defualt# ls -la
total 123328
drwxrwxrwx 2 nobody users          160 Nov  5 10:21 ./
drwxrwxrwx 3 nobody users           72 Nov  5 10:15 ../
-rw-rw-rw- 1 nobody users         4096 Nov  5 10:21 ._enoch_rev2795_boot
-rw-r--r-- 1 nobody users 128849018880 Nov  5 10:20 OSX-10-11.img
-rw-rw-rw- 1 nobody users       454144 Nov  2 09:45 enoch_rev2795_boot

root@Vault:/mnt/cache/vm_images/defualt# ls -la
total 123328
drwxrwxrwx 2 nobody users          160 Nov  5 10:21 ./
drwxrwxrwx 3 nobody users           72 Nov  5 10:15 ../
-rw-rw-rw- 1 nobody users         4096 Nov  5 10:21 ._enoch_rev2795_boot
-rw-r--r-- 1 nobody users 128849018880 Nov  5 10:20 OSX-10-11.img
-rw-rw-rw- 1 nobody users       454144 Nov  2 09:45 enoch_rev2795_boot

Looks like the path is wrong (I suspect 'defualt' should be 'default').

Looks like the path is wrong (I suspect 'defualt' should be 'default').

I feel stupid, thank you.

Next question, is there any way to use a custom smbios without a kernel panic?

Ideally I'd like to use a custom serial, MLB serial, rom, etc to make iMessage work.

I'm assuming it's giving a kernel panic because I'm using an AMD processor which is then being masked to an Intel Core Solo, and when I use the Mac Pro SMBios it freaks out because there was never a mac pro with a sore solo?

Ideally I'd like to use a custom serial, MLB serial, rom, etc to make iMessage work.

I'm assuming it's giving a kernel panic because I'm using an AMD processor which is then being masked to an Intel Core Solo, and when I use the Mac Pro SMBios it freaks out because there was never a mac pro with a sore solo?

Originally I messed around with SMBios with various degrees of luck. Some would work and others would cause a kernel panic. I seemed to have the best luck with older versions of the Mac SMBios profiles. At the end of the day I decided I didn't really care if my VM reflected my actual hardware and didn't use any SMBios profiles. If you are going to mess around with SMBios, there is a chameleon / encoch boot command that will ignore SMBios in case you get a kernel panic (this way you can get into the Mac VM and remove the SMBios that causes the panic). I forgot the command though so I would recommend looking that one up. I have never messed with iMessage, what is it saying with the stock profile?

Originally I messed around with SMBios with various degrees of luck. Some would work and others would cause a kernel panic. I seemed to have the best luck with older versions of the Mac SMBios profiles. At the end of the day I decided I didn't really care if my VM reflected my actual hardware and didn't use any SMBios profiles. If you are going to mess around with SMBios, there is a chameleon / encoch boot command that will ignore SMBios in case you get a kernel panic (this way you can get into the Mac VM and remove the SMBios that causes the panic). I forgot the command though so I would recommend looking that one up. I have never messed with iMessage, what is it saying with the stock profile?

I may try it on some intel hardware to see if I can use the mac pro SMBIOS. When you try to login to iMessage it fails, it's similar to logging into the app store with certain hardware configs. The iMessage checks are more strict than the app store checks.

My end goals is to a have a machine where  I can use a Virtualized fully featured copy of OSX, and a fully featured copy of Win10 both with GPU/USB passthrough.

I've got OSX working perfectly in ESXi with GPU/USB passtrhough, and I've also got Win10 working with GPU/USB passtrhough. But if I try to boot both VMs at the same time whichever boots up second never gets video from it's respective GPU. So I'm thinking of trying unraid as host instead.

(Specs of that machine = Intel 4930k, Rampage IV Extreme, 32GB ddr3, AMD 280x, AMD 280x, Corsair 1000W psu, 500gb ssd for osx, 500gb ssd for win10).

I may try it on some intel hardware to see if I can use the mac pro SMBIOS. When you try to login to iMessage it fails, it's similar to logging into the app store with certain hardware configs. The iMessage checks are more strict than the app store checks.

My end goals is to a have a machine where  I can use a Virtualized fully featured copy of OSX, and a fully featured copy of Win10 both with GPU/USB passthrough.

I've got OSX working perfectly in ESXi with GPU/USB passtrhough, and I've also got Win10 working with GPU/USB passtrhough. But if I try to boot both VMs at the same time whichever boots up second never gets video from it's respective GPU. So I'm thinking of trying unraid as host instead.

(Specs of that machine = Intel 4930k, Rampage IV Extreme, 32GB ddr3, AMD 280x, AMD 280x, Corsair 1000W psu, 500gb ssd for osx, 500gb ssd for win10).

That's how my setup is, both a Mac and Windows VM running at the same time with dedicated graphics, keyboard and mouse. Been running it this way for almost a year now. Post back if you get a SMBios profile that successfully works with iMessage and any steps you took to get it working. I'll add it to the guide.

archedraft, got this working tonight, both Yosemite then El-Capitan.  ;D

Thank you so much for the instructions and all the help.

My only stumbling point was getting the HD6450 passthrough right and I'd appreciate it if you can shed any light on it. (It's working fine now)

This is my working config

<qemu:commandline>
    <qemu:arg value='-device'/>
    <qemu:arg value='ioh3420,bus=pcie.0,addr=1c.0,multifunction=on,port=1,chassis=1,id=root.1'/>
    <qemu:arg value='usb-kbd'/>
    <qemu:arg value='usb-mouse'/>
    <qemu:arg value='isa-applesmc,osk=??????????????/'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-smbios'/>
    <qemu:arg value='type=2'/>
    <qemu:arg value='vfio-pci,host=00:1a.0,bus=root.1,addr=00.1'/>
    <qemu:arg value='vfio-pci,host=04:00.0,bus=root.1,addr=00.0,multifunction=on,x-vga=on'/>
    <qemu:arg value='vfio-pci,host=04:00.1,bus=root.1,addr=00.2'/>
</qemu:commandline>

But I found if the USB had

addr=00.0

and GFX had

addr=00.1

then it wouldn't start giving an error of...

internal error: early end of file from monitor: possible problem:
qemu-system-x86_64: -device vfio-pci,host=04:00.0,bus=root.1,addr=00.1,multifunction=on,x-vga=on: PCI: single function device can't be populated in function 0.1
qemu-system-x86_64: -device vfio-pci,host=04:00.0,bus=root.1,addr=00.1,multifunction=on,x-vga=on: Device 'vfio-pci' could not be initialized

and I was just curious why the gfx card needs the address 00.0.

My only remaining issue is to try and work out how to get sound out of it...  ::)

Hmm interesting, I've never tried making USB 00.0 and the graphics 00.1. Someone much smarter than me would need to explain that one?? For sound I use a spare USB audio dongle. Haven't tried the hdmi with the graphics card.

Oh and I'm glad you got both Yosemite and El Capitan up and working! Nice to know that others are getting some use out of the guides!

I have HDMI sound on 6450 using clover as boot loader :-) using Cham you need a SSDT.aml that activate sound and some extra parameters in org.boot file. the link I added some day a go you find an attached working clover image, that would replace Cham and you should have hdmi sound.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/309087-insanely-fast-virtual-mac-qemu-ovmf-clover-and-native-graphics/?p=2185771

Hmm interesting, I've never tried making USB 00.0 and the graphics 00.1. Someone much smarter than me would need to explain that one?? For sound I use a spare USB audio dongle. Haven't tried the hdmi with the graphics card.

Oh and I'm glad you got both Yosemite and El Capitan up and working! Nice to know that others are getting some use out of the guides!

I didn't know those USB dongles existed.. That makes life a lot easier for me.  Thanks archedraft.

I have HDMI sound on 6450 using clover as boot loader :-) using Cham you need a SSDT.aml that activate sound and some extra parameters in org.boot file. the link I added some day a go you find an attached working clover image, that would replace Cham and you should have hdmi sound.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/309087-insanely-fast-virtual-mac-qemu-ovmf-clover-and-native-graphics/?p=2185771

Would be awesome if you could elabaorate / paste your settings on how you got waschbenzin's clover image working? Thanks

Will, it work with every setup? All harware? or does it still need to be the

http://www.tonymacx86.com/building-customac-buyers-guide-october-2015.html

hardware?

I'm sure not all hardware works but it seems like most users are able to get this working. Intel CPUs are preferred but some AMD processors work. If you want to passthrough a graphics card then you will most likely run into issues with those. Some work and other don't.