***GUIDE*** Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan – VM on unRAID

Finally found time to sit and play with this today.  In fact currently using the VM as I type..

Everything seems to work just fine, my observations are that it feels like running on bare metal!  ;D

Only small problem I've found is that if the MacOS power saving mode allows the computer to sleep then I can't resume it.  I can go to the Unraid VM manager page and unpause it but I get no display on my monitor.  Putting the display to sleep works justr fine though.

I know I've said it before, but I'm mighty impressed!  ;D

Also had time tonight to try installing the VM based on this guide.

Using the provided xml, KVM wouldn't let me boot because my server only has 4GB ram. Had to drop it down to 2.5 GB to even boot.

After booting and formatting the drive, the VM appeared to have crashed mid-install. Powering it back up, I got a different install window where the option was to Reinstall OSX and if I clicked that, it would say something to the effect of: cannot install, computer not eligible.

Finally found time to sit and play with this today.  In fact currently using the VM as I type..

Everything seems to work just fine, my observations are that it feels like running on bare metal!  ;D

Only small problem I've found is that if the MacOS power saving mode allows the computer to sleep then I can't resume it.  I can go to the Unraid VM manager page and unpause it but I get no display on my monitor.  Putting the display to sleep works justr fine though.

I know I've said it before, but I'm mighty impressed!  ;D

Very nice! I guess I forgot to mention that sleep doesn't work with this VM... Oops. I just disabled it and it's been smooth sailing. I really didn't see a point in putting the VM in sleep mode anyhow because the hard drive is still running  my other active VMs.

Using the provided xml, KVM wouldn't let me boot because my server only has 4GB ram. Had to drop it down to 2.5 GB to even boot.

After booting and formatting the drive, the VM appeared to have crashed mid-install. Powering it back up, I got a different install window where the option was to Reinstall OSX and if I clicked that, it would say something to the effect of: cannot install, computer not eligible.

Hmm I would delete your OS X.img file and recreate it. Then set your ram to 2GB. I am thinking that maybe the extra .5 is causing it be funky? I have successfully installed this with only 2 GB of ram.

Hmm I would delete your OS X.img file and recreate it. Then set your ram to 2GB. I am thinking that maybe the extra .5 is causing it be funky? I have successfully installed this with only 2 GB of ram.

The RAM amount was exactly it. Thanks!

The RAM amount was exactly it. Thanks!

Awesome, I honestly was thinking that was a long shot but on the same hand OS X is pretty picky with what hardware it allows you to run. I wonder what would happen if you tired to add an extra .5 GB of ram on a Mac book.

i am trying to read osk key but cant seem to.

I am using pre-compiled Mac OS X binary to read the OSK0 and OSK1 keys from a Mac. The source is from the [Mac OS X Internals book website](http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~somlo/OSXKVM/).

when i run the binarie on my macbook i get the following

Last login: Sat Nov 14 08:36:46 on ttys000

Macbooks-MacBook-Pro:~ user$ /Users/user/Desktop/osx-kvm/smc_read ; exit;

xxxxxxx Edit-- Ha ok found it-- feel stupid now lol xxxxxxxxxx

logout

Saving session...

...copying shared history...

...saving history...truncating history files...

...completed.

[Process completed]

how do i see the key please?

i am trying to read osk key but cant seem to.

I am using pre-compiled Mac OS X binary to read the OSK0 and OSK1 keys from a Mac. The source is from the [Mac OS X Internals book website](http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~somlo/OSXKVM/).

when i run the binarie on my macbook i get the following

Last login: Sat Nov 14 08:36:46 on ttys000

Macbooks-MacBook-Pro:~ user$ /Users/user/Desktop/osx-kvm/smc_read ; exit;

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

logout

Saving session...

...copying shared history...

...saving history...truncating history files...

...completed.

[Process completed]

how do i see the key please?

The key is there, please edit your original post to remove it..  ;)

Hi thanks for the great guide. I have el capitan working with gpu passthrough and usb3 passthrough flawlessly (except sound, as i am not sure how to use the files peter linked?)

I have increased cpus to 8 and now get a 32 bit geekbench score of 11900 which is better than my 15inch retina macbook pro!!!

<cputune>

<vcpupin vcpu='0' cpuset='0'/>

<vcpupin vcpu='1' cpuset='1'/>

<vcpupin vcpu='2' cpuset='2'/>

<vcpupin vcpu='3' cpuset='3'/>

<vcpupin vcpu='4' cpuset='4'/>

<vcpupin vcpu='5' cpuset='5'/>

<vcpupin vcpu='6' cpuset='6'/>

<vcpupin vcpu='7' cpuset='7'/>

</cputune>

The vm mac says i have 8  core 2 solo @ 2.54 ghz . As my cpu is a xeon 1240v2 @3.40 ghz so i wanted to try and get cpu recognised as something else.

I ran command virsh capabilities

and got following id of cpu

<arch>x86_64</arch>

<model>SandyBridge</model>

<vendor>Intel</vendor>

<topology sockets='1' cores='4' threads='2'/>

so i thought it would work if i changed my vm xml file to

<cpu mode='custom' match='exact'>

<model fallback='allow'>SandyBridge</model>

</cpu>

However when i start the vm it will not boot into osx. Can anyone tell me why this doesnt work??

Besides for that older AMD card, is anyone passing through a newer card like a GT 740?

Just tried my GT 750, installed the web driver and the VM booted and displayed the desktop. It didn't have a good resolution and I couldn't get it to use the web driver. I only played around for 10 mins but I would suspect that you could get it working if you spent enough time. The good news is that it booted and you saw the desktop. If you end up getting full resolution report back with how you accomplished that.

Thanks for the great guide archedraft.

I'm struggling to get this to work with 6.1.4, The installer won't load.

If i boot with -v “KernelBooter_kexts”=”Yes” “CsrActiveConfig”=”103”

I get the following, any pointers would be awesome.

I've also tried -x with no luck.

Screen_Shot_2015-11-23_at_19_26_38.png.2f1079e975993f561a8f2eb05481cae8.png

If you click on info at the to of unRAID do you have the following?

HVM: Enabled

IOMMU: Enabled

Yep. In fact I'm watching openelec now with GPU passthrough.

Model: NAS3001

M/B: ASRock - H97 Killer

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-4690 CPU @ 3.50GHz

I'm recreating the iso atm, hoping that will fix the problem :)

If you click on info at the to of unRAID do you have the following?

Yep. In fact I'm watching openelec now with GPU passthrough.

Model: NAS3001

M/B: ASRock - H97 Killer

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-4690 CPU @ 3.50GHz

I'm recreating the iso atm, hoping that will fix the problem :)

Yeah, that was going to be my next suggestion.

Thanks for your help archedraft.

Managed to get the installer to run, woohoo. I used the passthrough and nv_disable=1 and it seems to work.

I was reading your posts, what are the chances of us getting sleep to work?

That would be awesome, I can finally get rid of the desktop.

Probably a very slim chance. Unless you put unRAID to sleep as well, there really isn't much power saving putting a VM to sleep.

Thanks archedraft.

Ok next mission, have you tried getting it to boot with clover using  waschbenzin's clover image from insanelymac?

I tried everything and all i'm getting is +++++++++ from clover when I'm booting from the HDD.