***GUIDE*** Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan – VM on unRAID

Maybe I'm missing something (I read through the thread, but...)

Every time I reboot the VM, it sits at the Enoch boot prompt and I have to press enter to boot into OS X.

Any way to set it as default so it boots in automatically? I've tried setting a few options "DefaultPartition", "QuietBoot", but nothing seems to "stick".

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Hey Stokkes, I think it is because my org.chameleon.boot.plist that was downloading has extra characters that it shouldn't. Try downloading an OS X text editor (like TextWrangler) and see if any characters are present that shouldn't be.

Hey great tutorial thank you!

Just wondering how I would add Nvidia drivers as opposed to the ATI drivers you put in. I know on hackintosh they usually support Nvidia 7xx out of the box. would this apply for unRAID?

Thanks,

T

I didn't put any ATI drivers in, the graphics card in my guide just worked out of the box without any added drivers. With nvidia the most common way I have seen to get it working is to install the nvidia web drivers and also boot into the Mac with a special nvidia boot flag. Somewhere in this topic and on the guide a few people put exact examples of how they got it working. I would find those examples and try duplicating their success.

Yes, a few pages back in this thread I actually made an icon you can download and there are instructions for putting it in the correct folder. I'm on my mobile so I will let you hunt through the previous pages. I suppose I should add that to the OP.

Yep, got the icon and copied in to the dynamic.vm.manager/templates/images, but I assume I have to do something to point the VM I created with OS X to that image because it's still showing the Linux icon.

The image file is called "osx.png"

Thanks.

Yes, a few pages back in this thread I actually made an icon you can download and there are instructions for putting it in the correct folder. I'm on my mobile so I will let you hunt through the previous pages. I suppose I should add that to the OP.

Yep, got the icon and copied in to the dynamic.vm.manager/templates/images, but I assume I have to do something to point the VM I created with OS X to that image because it's still showing the Linux icon.

The image file is called "osx.png"

Thanks.

Change your metadata line to something like this.

<metadata>
    <vmtemplate name="Custom" icon="OSX-10.10.png" os="OSX"/>
  </metadata>

I've downloaded the required files from the guide. I've placed Kernels and create_osx_install_iso.sh on my ~/Desktop. I've got Install OS X El Capitan.app in my Applications (10.11, exactly as per the guide's version).

The ISO creates fine and I've moved my files into unRaid without issue. But after running

"KernelBooter_kexts"="Yes" "CsrActiveConfig"="103" -v

I eventually get stuck at Waiting for DSMOS (I even left it 14hrs while I went to work). Still stuck.

My XML (renamed txt because of forum) is attached (with the OSK Key removed).

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Keiichi.txt

Hey guys!

I have been trying to get this to work for sometime now without success.  :(  I have been following this guide: https://macosxvirtualmachinekvm.wordpress.com/guide-mac-os-x-10-11-el-capitan-vm-on-unraid/ provided by Mr. Archedraft.  The only difference is that I have 10.11.2 as that is what I download from the app store.  Here is my build information: http://snag.gy/vrecb.jpg.

I use the XML given and edit to fit my needs: http://pastebin.com/SY2ysZiM

I then start the VM and I get to this screen:  http://snag.gy/VSxTC.jpg  Where I entered -v this time around. 

It got stuck here with "-v": http://snag.gy/Cv2AT.jpg

Without "-v" I get stuck here: http://snag.gy/A8xNW.jpg

I am at total loss on what to do now.  Any ideas?!

Also thanks to all that have tried to help me over the last two weeks or so.  :)

I figured it out!!!  Holy crap! 

“KernelBooter_kexts”=”Yes” “CsrActiveConfig”=”103” -v -s

/sbin/fsck -fy

/sbin/mount -uw

exit

It then boots up!!  Woot!

• 2 weeks later...

I seem to be stuck at step 7. I type “KernelBooter_kexts”=”Yes” “CsrActiveConfig”=”103”

and I get: can't find /System/Library/Kernels/kernel

I'm using 10.11.3. Could that be the reason?

This is my XML:

<domain type='kvm' xmlns:qemu='http://libvirt.org/schemas/domain/qemu/1.0'>
  <name>OSX-El-Capitan-10.11.3-VNC</name>
  <uuid>0ba39646-7ba1-4d41-9602-e2968b2fe36d</uuid>
  <metadata>
    <type>None</type>
  </metadata>
  <memory unit='KiB'>4194304</memory>
  <currentMemory unit='KiB'>4194304</currentMemory>
  <vcpu placement='static'>2</vcpu>
  <cputune>
    <vcpupin vcpu='0' cpuset='1'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='1' cpuset='2'/>
  </cputune>
  <resource>
    <partition>/machine</partition>
  </resource>
  <os>
    <type arch='x86_64' machine='pc-q35-2.3'>hvm</type>
    <kernel>/mnt/user/VMs/OSX/enoch_rev2795_boot</kernel>
    <boot dev='hd'/>
    <bootmenu enable='yes'/>
  </os>
  <features>
    <acpi/>
  </features>
  <cpu mode='custom' match='exact'>
    <model fallback='allow'>core2duo</model>
  </cpu>
  <clock offset='utc'/>
  <on_poweroff>destroy</on_poweroff>
  <on_reboot>restart</on_reboot>
  <on_crash>destroy</on_crash>
  <devices>
    <emulator>/usr/bin/qemu-system-x86_64</emulator>
    <disk type='file' device='disk'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='raw'/>
      <source file='/mnt/user/VMs/OSX/ElCapitan.img'/>
      <target dev='hda' bus='sata'/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='0'/>
    </disk>
    <controller type='usb' index='0'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x01' function='0x0'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='sata' index='0'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x1f' function='0x2'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='0' model='pcie-root'/>
    <controller type='pci' index='1' model='dmi-to-pci-bridge'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x1e' function='0x0'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='2' model='pci-bridge'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x01' slot='0x01' function='0x0'/>
    </controller>
    <interface type='bridge'>
      <mac address='52:54:00:00:20:30'/>
      <source bridge='vmBridge'/>
      <model type='e1000-82545em'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x03' function='0x0'/>
    </interface>
    <input type='mouse' bus='ps2'/>
    <input type='keyboard' bus='ps2'/>
    <graphics type='vnc' port='-1' autoport='yes' websocket='-1' listen='0.0.0.0' keymap='en-us'>
      <listen type='address' address='0.0.0.0'/>
    </graphics>
    <video>
      <model type='vmvga' vram='16384' heads='1'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x01' function='0x0'/>
    </video>
    <memballoon model='none'/>
  </devices>
  <seclabel type='none' model='none'/>
  <qemu:commandline>
    <qemu:arg value='-device'/>
    <qemu:arg value='usb-kbd'/>
    <qemu:arg value='usb-mouse'/>
    <qemu:arg value='isa-applesmc,osk=REMOVED'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-smbios'/>
    <qemu:arg value='type=2'/>
    <qemu:arg value='ide-drive,bus=ide.1,drive=MacDVD'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-drive'/>
    <qemu:arg value='id=MacDVD,if=none,snapshot=on,file=/mnt/user/VM_Library/OSX/Install_OS_X_10.11.3_El_Capitan.iso'/>
  </qemu:commandline>
</domain>

Thanks!

Are sure that the kernel went in to the iso when you created it? Double check this.

//Peter

I was sure I did. I put the files on my desktop and followed the steps in step 1....

That said, I opened up the iso with 7-Zip, and lo and behold! It was not included! Not sure where I went wrong, but I'll try again!

Thanks for the direction! Seems so obvious now... I was so sure I did it right, it didn't even occur to me to look!

So you were right peter_sm! The script did not add the Kernels folder to the .iso. Thanks for the help!

Turns out my unfamiliarity with OSX is to blame (and my inattention to the error message the script outputs when creating the iso  :-[). The files were on the desktop, as per instructions, but I was logged in as a user, so my path to desktop was not "/var/root/Desktop" but "/Users/DoeBoye/Desktop". As the script is hardcoded to look for the Kernels folder at /var/root/Desktop, it failed.

I modified the script to reflect my actual desktop path, and it embedded the Kernels folder correctly. Looking forward to trying this again tonight!

Sure.

Did the guide, but when i tried starting the VM it came up with an error, did some googling and it seemed like an memory problem, so edited the VM to 2GB ram (i'm having 4GB total currently, 64GB on the way though), and the starteded the VM and the along came another error.

So got in the XML part at saw that the:

<type arch='x86_64' machine='pc-q35-2.3'>hvm</type>

<kernel>/mnt/user/VM/vm_images/enoch_rev2795_boot</kernel>

<boot dev='hd'/>

<bootmenu enable='yes'/>

Was missing, it was there before, so inserted it again, and then that screen appeared. So hours later i came back to my computer and thought of just editing the:

<memory unit='KiB'>xxxxxxx</memory>

<currentMemory unit='KiB'>xxxxxxx</currentMemory>

to 2GB and then it worked.

But ... when ever I try to edit the VM, under Edit, it will not work.

Just as of now, the VM is (was) working fine, and then i enter the EDIT at it stops working, so many i'll just stick to the XML part.

Also, when I do step 20 in the guide the VM will not start and an error comes up.

BTW, system is an HP w8600, Dual intel Xeon E5410 4GB ram.

I'd guess you don't have enough memory for Unraid and OSX.  I'd wait until your new memory comes.  And for troubleshooting purposes it's always good to post your full XML and any error messages you get.  Otherwise, tbh, it's impossible to help, bit like taking a car to a mechanic and asking him what's wrong without allowing him to look under the bonnet.

When you post the XML try and wrap it in the code tags as well in the forum interface (click the # symbol and paste your XML between the tags.)

Also, when I do step 20 in the guide the VM will not start and an error comes up.

BTW, system is an HP w8600, Dual intel Xeon E5410 4GB ram.

I'd guess you don't have enough memory for Unraid and OSX.  I'd wait until your new memory comes.  And for troubleshooting purposes it's always good to post your full XML and any error messages you get.  Otherwise, tbh, it's impossible to help, bit like taking a car to a mechanic and asking him what's wrong without allowing him to look under the bonnet.

When you post the XML try and wrap it in the code tags as well in the forum interface (click the # symbol and paste your XML between the tags.)

I totally agree, but as said, it works for now, but without step 20 done  ;D

And of course if I still have the problem at step 20 when my new ram arrives I'll post the error/XML  ???

Hi. I'm struggling to boot the installer up. Followed exactly the guide, but whatever I do, it reboots right after choosing the boot option in Enoch (doesn't matter what flags I put). Such a frustration.

Tried all possible options in XML like different Intel CPUs, different Q35 2.3/2.4/2.5 versions - nothing helps.

QEMU v2.5 (lasted)

cat /sys/module/kvm/parameters/ignore_msrs

Y

All I can see is blinking "Machine UUID XXXXXXXXX....." and reboot.

What is its problem? Thank you.

Hey guys!

I have been trying to get this to work for sometime now without success.  :(  I have been following this guide: https://macosxvirtualmachinekvm.wordpress.com/guide-mac-os-x-10-11-el-capitan-vm-on-unraid/ provided by Mr. Archedraft.  The only difference is that I have 10.11.2 as that is what I download from the app store.  Here is my build information: http://snag.gy/vrecb.jpg.

I use the XML given and edit to fit my needs: http://pastebin.com/SY2ysZiM

I then start the VM and I get to this screen:  http://snag.gy/VSxTC.jpg  Where I entered -v this time around. 

It got stuck here with "-v": http://snag.gy/Cv2AT.jpg

Without "-v" I get stuck here: http://snag.gy/A8xNW.jpg

I am at total loss on what to do now.  Any ideas?!

Also thanks to all that have tried to help me over the last two weeks or so.  :)

I figured it out!!!  Holy crap! 

“KernelBooter_kexts”=”Yes” “CsrActiveConfig”=”103” -v -s

/sbin/fsck -fy

/sbin/mount -uw

exit

It then boots up!!  Woot!

It does not. I used Yosemite iso and got into same problem, verbose output and spinning ball. Single user mode does nothing, it gets back to the same state.  >:(

Are you doing this on unRAID? How are you using QEMU 2.5?

Replaced the binary because the included is old. Why it should cause the problem? And why it's so surprising? Yeah, there is advanced people here too. lol

<emulator>/usr/bin/qemu-system-x86_64</emulator>

Not a big deal.

However these problems are on qemu 2.4 and lower as well.

q35 - all versions - no difference.

ElCapitan refuses to boot, Yosemite boots but unable to give the video output, neither via vmvga or cirrus. Stuck with spinning beach ball on verbose background.

Tried 10.11.1 / 10.10.5.

Running on Dell PowerEdge R210 II, VT-D is supported. http://www.manualslib.com/manual/624332/Dell-Poweredge-R210-Ii.html?page=31