User share not browseable (Windows 10)

Nem

I have set up a user share on unraid, with the correct user privileges, but I cannot see the server in windows 10. When I go to file explorer > Network, the server does not show up there. However, if I directly use the ip/hostname (\\192.168.1.10) I can access the shares OK

How does one set a share to be browseable in windows?

I have set up a user share on unraid, with the correct user privileges, but I cannot see the server in windows 10. When I go to file explorer > Network, the server does not show up there. However, if I directly use the ip/hostname (\\192.168.1.10) I can access the shares OK

How does one set a share to be browseable in windows?

Is your problem access or just seeing it show up on the list?  If you type \\unraid\<share name> does it work?  I never could access the server until I changed the server name from the default.  I never could figure out why, but using a new name it eventually worked fine.

If the problem is just seeing it in Explorer under Network neighborhood, mine is still a little flaky with that to this day.  I mapped drives *using the actual name" and the maps always work.  Usually after a while of windows being booted, eventually the name appears in network.

This is all on Windows 7.  (one of these days i'll go to 10)

access is no problem. I changed the name from unraid to server, and can access all shares with either \\server\media or \\192.168.1.10\media

If I map a network drive, everythings works too

My issue is not being able to see the server in network locations. If you open up windows/file explorer, in the left hand pane there is a section called Network. When I click on it I can see all the machines on my network, but unraid (or linux machines in general) do not show up here. There are some shares that I don't want to map as theyre not used that often, and I don't want to type in the address manually whenever I want to access it, so being able to see it in network locations is important

My issue is not being able to see the server in network locations. If you open up windows/file explorer, in the left hand pane there is a section called Network. When I click on it I can see all the machines on my network, but unraid (or linux machines in general) do not show up here. There are some shares that I don't want to map as theyre not used that often, and I don't want to type in the address manually whenever I want to access it, so being able to see it in network locations is important

Yes, that is the part that is flaky for me.  sometimes its there and sometimes not. I think if i leave windows up long enough it finds it.  I just mapped drives for all my user shares and called it a day, works solid, no issues.  Its so rare that i need to go to the server direct, its not an issue to type it.