[Support] Linuxserver.io - Beets

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

This is my first time using Beets.  I have no idea what changes I need to make to config.yaml to achieve the results I'm looking for.  Currently, it's default.  I've made no edits to it.  I'd like to convert from flac to m4a on import and  leave any mp3's alone.  I did a bunch of reading and couldn't find a solution.  Could someone please provide me with an example of how to edit the convert section of the file to acheive this?

Thanks.

1 minute ago, ZoZat said:

I read it.  Still didn't get it.  Still don't know how to write the config.yaml  file to achieve the results I'm looking for.

Hey Zozat, I suggest you experiment with trial and error. The config.yaml file can become very complicated, so I'd recommend starting with no plugins or any modfications. Make sure you can get a simple import from a source to destination before adding the convert plugin. Once you're happy with the way the data is being handled with a VERY simple config file, then add the plugin and fiddle with the settings. Please read the manual several times, there's always something to miss on first readhttps://beets.readthedocs.io/en/v1.4.7/plugins/convert.html . Keep in mind that by default, the plugin depends on FFmpeg to transcode the audio, so you might want to install it.

Here's a simple example for convert

plugins: convert
convert:
  auto: no
  dest: C:/Transcodes
  never_convert_lossy_files: yes
  quiet: false
  formats:
    flac:
      command: ffmpeg -i $source -y -vn -aq 2 $dest
      extension: mp3

Importing isn't the problem.  Plugins required to convert are installed.  Your example of the  convert section is similar to mine except my extension is m4a.  While importing I get an error that says its unable to convert to m4a.

This is mine:

convert:
    pretend: yes
    dest: ~/music
    never_convert_lossy_files: no
    ffmpeg: /usr/bin/ffmpeg
    format: m4a
    embed: yes
    album_art_maxwidth: 600
    threads: 2

Where did I go wrong?

4 hours ago, ZoZat said:

Importing isn't the problem.  Plugins required to convert are installed.  Your example of the  convert section is similar to mine except my extension is m4a.  While importing I get an error that says its unable to convert to m4a.

This is mine:

convert:
    pretend: yes
    dest: ~/music
    never_convert_lossy_files: no
    ffmpeg: /usr/bin/ffmpeg
    format: m4a
    embed: yes
    album_art_maxwidth: 600
    threads: 2

Insert other media

Where did I go wrong?

Is m4a a format? Looks more like a container since you can use both AAC and ALAC. So try specifying AAC instead

• 1 month later...

I've never used Beets before and am wondering whether it can do what I'd like it to do.

I have a folder "/music" with sub-folders, which I have both MP3 and FLAC files in. I'd like to keep the MP3 files as is, but convert the FLAC files to ALAC/M4A (and delete the orignal FLAC thereafter).

Can this docker help me do this? If so, any guidance how to do it?

First of all, thanks for the docker. This is great!

It is working ok, but I am facing two issues:

1) Quite often, I am receiving the error message "fingerprinting of 'XXX' failed: audio could not be decoded. I checked the respective files and they play well, so there is no file corruption

2) I am getting other related error messages at times, which I can post, but likely are connected to the first

Any thoughts? As a quick fix, how to turn off fingerprinting? It's not as critical, is it?

Just now, steve1977 said:

First of all, thanks for the docker. This is great!

It is working ok, but I am facing two issues:

1) Quite often, I am receiving the error message "fingerprinting of 'XXX' failed: audio could not be decoded. I checked the respective files and they play well, so there is no file corruption

2) I am getting other related error messages at times, which I can post, but likely are connected to the first

Any thoughts? As a quick fix, how to turn off fingerprinting? It's not as critical, is it?

Chroma is a pretty dodgy and unnecessary plugin in my opinion. Switch it off by deleting or commenting out the 'chroma' line under plugins in your config file

• Like 1

Brilliant, thanks a lot. Now, it seems to be working much better.

I have a few more questions:

1) I used to tag my releases under the release name with release comment via a script ($set(album,%album%$if(%_releasecomment%, \(%_releasecomment%\)))). is this also possible with beets?

2) Can I tag with beets without "import". I.e., I have a music library folder that includes all my beets tagged music. I'd like to directly add to this folder and than tag with beets (instead of placing files in a separate and have beets move/import them to the library. Is this possible? If so, does it change folder names to match artist?

Thanks!

14 hours ago, steve1977 said:

1) I used to tag my releases under the release name with release comment via a script ($set(album,%album%$if(%_releasecomment%, \(%_releasecomment%\)))). is this also possible with beets?

Any data in the files id3 tags, folder names or any matched data from discogs, musicbrainz (or any other source via plugin) can be sent anywhere you like, be it a tag or a file/foldername. Just find the ID3 tag and apply it to the folder name

2) Can I tag with beets without "import". I.e., I have a music library folder that includes all my beets tagged music. I'd like to directly add to this folder and than tag with beets (instead of placing files in a separate and have beets move/import them to the library. Is this possible? If so, does it change folder names to match artist?

Check out the docs, "The -L (--library) flag is also useful for retagging. Instead of listing paths you want to import on the command line, specify a query string that matches items from your library. In this case, the -s (singleton) flag controls whether the query matches individual items or full albums. If you want to retag your whole library, just supply a null query, which matches everything: beet import -L"

I think that's what you mean?

3) I'd tried to use my MBZ mirror to run things locally. Didn't get this to work. Any idea what to do?

MBZ mirror?

4) If I import music files via beets (docker), I have a permission issue. Imported files in the new folder don't have RW permission. Is there a setting in the docker that I need to change?

Make sure you're running beets as users:nobody, usually PUID/PGID of 99:100 in your beets container settings. Then make sure your data permissions are correct, the easiest way to do this is install the Fix Common Problems plugin then run Tools > Docker Safe New Perms.

Thanks!

YW

13 minutes ago, enmesh-parisian-latest said:

Check out the docs, "The -L (--library) flag is also useful for retagging. Instead of listing paths you want to import on the command line, specify a query string that matches items from your library. In this case, the -s (singleton) flag controls whether the query matches individual items or full albums. If you want to retag your whole library, just supply a null query, which matches everything: beet import -L"

I think that's what you mean?

Thanks. I wasn't aware of this feature and it seems interesting. Reading the link you've sent. Mbsync is also a great plugin. Does it work with the docker and how it is different from beet update?

Having said this, above actually does not answer my question and is not what I am looking for. Let me describe what I mean with more color:

/importfolder/ [mapped via docker]

/importfolder/Abba-Album1

/libraryfolder/ [mapped via docker]

When I use  "beet import /import", the album gets tagged and moved (I have move=yes in config). Folder then looks like below:

/importfolder/

/libraryfolder/Abba-Album1

I'll now add an album to "/libraryfolder" directly. Either not tagged or maybe including some tags from itunes.

/importfolder/

/libraryfolder/Abba-Album1

/libraryfolder/Abba-Album2

Abba-Album2 is now not part of my beets library as it was not imported through Beets. Is there a way to get Abba-Album2 to my library without importing it through the "importfolder" and without retagging Abba-Album1 (already in my beets library and already tagged).

Does it make it clearer that I am trying to accomplish?

MBZ mirror?

Beets queries musicbrainz API heavily when importing a large library. I have a local mirror of musicbrainz, so would hope to reduce load for musicbrainz.org by using it instead. 

Make sure you're running beets as users:nobody, usually PUID/PGID of 99:100 in your beets container settings. Then make sure your data permissions are correct, the easiest way to do this is install the Fix Common Problems plugin then run Tools > Docker Safe New Perms.

I've run "docker safe new perms". That's how I get music files to work after running beets. But that's obviously not the idea to run the command every time after I use beets ;-) PUID/PGID are set correctly. Any other ideas what I could check? Both linked folders are on the array.

And another two ;-)

5) I read through all the tags, but didn't find a way to let beets tell me what albums in beets are incomplete (i.e., 14 files for an album tagged for a release with 15 tracks; or looking for albums that miss artwork or a MBZ release ID)

6) Possible to configure somewhere what coverart will be download / embedded? Also including fanart.tv with respective API?

Thanks a ton. I am turning into a big fan of beets and this docker!