[solved] Slow transfers since upgrade to v6

voldak

I'm experiencing really slow transfers across ethernet and over wireless (802.11ac). Transfers average 2.5mb/s to 4.0mb/s.  My connection from the server to the router states that it is set to 1gb/s, but transfers are ungodly slow since i've upgraded to version 6. I am currently using a 4 drive array and a cache drive.

I will gladly post any files/screenshots that are needed for assistance.

I"m using the following motherboard - Gigabyte AM3+ AMD DDR3 1333 760G GA-78LMT-USB3

A good first step for any v6 support request is to provide the diagnostics zip file from your system.  See the Need help? Read me first! sticky in this forum.

It also helps to be specific, i.e. you mentioned you "upgraded to v6", but specifically what version did you come from and specifically what version are you on now?

As to your networking problem, do you have the ability to connect via gigabit ethernet rather than wireless?  That will be a much better point of comparison for most people.

Hopefully with this info, someone will be able to help you out.

ljm42,

Thank you for the reply. It has been sometime since i've been on the boards. I cannot remember the exact version I was on before, but I believe it was 5.0.6. The server is currently on 6.1.3.

I have connected straight into my gigabit switch and the transfers are the same speeds, roughly 3.5mb/s - 5mb/s.

I can tell by looking at the Syslog that i'm having some SATA issues also.

Diagnostic Zip is attached below. Thanks again!

tower-diagnostics-20151109-1649.zip

Motherboard is Gigabyte AM3+ AMD DDR3 1333 760G GA-78LMT-USB3. 4gb of RAM.

This server originally had a lot more drives in, but about a year and a half ago I redid my configuration and took some drives, out, etc, etc.

I have 2 Icy Dock MB-455SPF-B's. The top Icy Dock is using 5/6 of the onboard SATA slots (just 2 drives in this - Samsung 1.5tb drive, WD 2tb green). Bottom Icy dock has the remaining onboard SATA slot and the other 4 are filled up with a super aoc-saslp-mv8 (contains the cache drive - 320gb WD Blue, Seagate 2tb, and Hitachi 2tb).

I just took off the side of the case and made sure all power connectors/sata connectors were snug. Leaving it offline and open in case there are further questions.

I copied some files in mc and the following results happened. The results are below.

Cache to Disk 1 - 80mb/s

Cache to Disk 2 -  started at 130mb/s, kept dropping until around around 30mb/s

Cache to disk 3 - started 100mb/s, continue to drop until around 30mb/s

Disk 1 to Cache - 70mb/s

Disk 1 to Disk 2 - 15 mb/s - 20 mb/s

Disk 1 to Disk 3 - 40-70mb/s initially….got down to averaging around 25-28mb/s towards the end.

Disk 2 to Cache - 70mb/s down to 30mb/s

Disk 2 to Disk 1 - around 20mb/s

Disk 2 to Disk 3 - 80mb/s down to 30mb/s

Disk 3 to Cache - 80mb/s down to 30mb/s

Disk 3 to Disk 1 - 70mb/s down to 30mb/s

Disk 3 to Disk 2 - 80mb/s down to 30mb/s

The initial speeds you see are likely due to memory cache. Linux will buffer I/O in memory and then write it out as the disk is able to take it. You will get an initial burst until memory is used up, then it has to wait on the disk after that.

Some of the speeds seem a little low, but not as low as you are getting over the network. 30 is not really abnormal speed for writes to the parity array since each write requires 2 reads and 2 writes so parity can be recalculated and written.

Seems like writes within the array are mostly OK, so maybe a network issue. Have you tried from a different PC?

I do have one more question though.

Since the SATA errors have went away, would it be possible to test to see what the issue was? I would like to expand to 2-3 more drives soon, and i'm curious if it is the 2nd Icy Dock that is having issues or if it was the aoc-saslp-mv8? Or, could all of those SATA errors just have came from a bad drive?

Thanks!

I do have one more question though.

Since the SATA errors have went away, would it be possible to test to see what the issue was? I would like to expand to 2-3 more drives soon, and i'm curious if it is the 2nd Icy Dock that is having issues or if it was the aoc-saslp-mv8? Or, could all of those SATA errors just have came from a bad drive?

Thanks!

Since the errors were on more than one port I don't think a bad drive was the issue.

You could just try different combinations and see what happens. I would recommend not writing while testing and just do reads.