unRaid user share problems.

Acps

At some point, one of my parent directories permissions got changed. So now that any folder or file created in that folder is using the same incorrect user permissions. The nobody unix user, which should allow anyone access to the folder is no longer in the permission list, instead it is  another user I use for my HP printer. I cannot fix the issue in Windows, due to permission issues. How can I correct the parent directory problem and change all the sub folder and files to update back to nobody?

• 2 weeks later...

This ended up working perfectly.

On a side note, I have setup connecting to my unraid shares in Windows with a user account. Now whenever I make changes in windows explorer, it does it under the account I am logged into now. So instead of it assigning it randomly to an account, it will use the account credentials I use to connect to the user share. While this is working as is, I am wondering if I will run into the same problem I was previously having if I try to access my shares without logging in with the same account.

Am I doing this incorrectly? I am assuming that creating and modifying files and folders with the "nobody" account is the best solution so that everyone can access and edit them later. I do not want to pigeon hole myself now and create a problem for myself down the line.

Can anyone tell me either way if my method will cause problems? And if so what would be the best way to either always use the "nobody" user to create and edit files, to prevent user conflicts later?

Ok, this problem is becoming extremely frustrating. I used the initial account I was having problems with again today and it has changed a lot of my folders user permission back to its own account....

I have an HP Officejet Printer/Scanner installed on my network, I had setup an unRaid user account for my HP, for Scan to Network folder, as it required a account and password, regardless if permissions on the network folder are set to allow access to everyone. This account is called: "HPScanAdmin"

I have a software on my Windows machines that connect to my Network shares for me automatically called "NetDrives", I was looking for an alternative to default Windows due to the fact my shares can never automatically map correctly due to the fact it tries to access the network before actually having network access, so it fails. The "NetDrives" handles this much better.

At some point I dicked over my permissions because I cannot access any share now without using an account to authenticate. I have never adjusted the SMB security settings, they are all identical with the exception that I have some export settings set to, Yes, Hidden. The rest are Yes. This account is "User1"

The only changes that I have made recently to my unRaid server was trying to play around with the FTP server. I turned it on and Assigned User1 to the list of users.

At somepoint today after using my HP printer to Scan to my network folder, a lot of my network shares were switched from "nobody" to "HPScanAdmin". It has affected shares which were not even in the same parent directory as my network scan folder. Now because I have been using NetDrives to login with my User1 account, if I try to edit or delete any files it says I do not have permission to do so now.... and wants me to login with the HPScanAdmin.

I feel like I have to be doing something completely wrong.

My unRaid is on my home network, and I am the only user, I have no reason to even have user account authentication. I am going to try running the Permissions script again, but I am sure that due to my current setup, I will absolutely run back into the problem with user account permissions.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to setup my unRaid to never require user account authentication and to always assign nobody so that this does not happen to me.

Thanks in advance for the help!

If you do not need any special security (not unusual on a home network) then it sounds as if you do not need any unRAID user accounts to be set up, and you want all your shares to be set for public access.    Then run tools->New Permissions and it should set all files to the default permissions.

Having done that you may need to go into Windows Credentials Manager and remove any existing logon credentials for the unRAID server.

Ok, I am still having this ongoing issue where my HP account is being used to create files or folders, and making it difficult to change or move.

Windows is still asking for a login to access unraid, and I have been able to use nobody as the username and leave the password blank.

Anyone have any ideas on how I can fix this?

Ok, I have clearly dicked something over completely, and for me to admit this online is near impossible due to the fact I have been a Tier 2 System admin for years now. I know about what I most likely did to cause this issues, and maybe after several days in a closet surfing google I would figure it out and quietly fix it by myself, but I seem to be somewhat OCD when it comes to IT crap.

Now if I can better explain this I am sure someone can help me in 2 seconds. And now that I have spent sometime getting some info I think I got it and with some help almost there.

I went and checked all the parent directories for my user shares, which are the user shares you create in the unRaid web gui. Now, all of my folders are working perfectly with the exception of 1, and I believe its because I started dicking around in the Advanced User permissions for the directory and messing with the inheritance option and the child object permission. Normally in an Enterprise scenario I would document any changes, so I could revert back in a case like this. But since I am the only customer I just wing it. I believe windows is overriding unRaid permission tool with a bunch of these crap accounts and leaving my frustrated. I have taken a couple of PrintScreens to show what I mean.

The first will be my Plexmedia user permissions according to Windows, which seems to be perfect after running the script, I have checked several sub-folders beneath this one and have found the same results:

wH_mkAyABVvmwP_nSgKsm9cu8cFdJzuX0SeGanskUie9ryUikVikn0CaLMWXwRccDVHRW78OZCtxh2KGX3OnN0dUwABhhac-qDwPL9pd4Hi2z7WGYb5nbxD7Wn0zBifI4elkTBwApJg3mriooAZyJtf1rTMgFaebb0nCR-P7lBkZA826bCyk1UNlghgscNu5pxExzz6LsiHJ8_TVLlxICXF2dUwXrnRB_WBk6jGqSJu72xxWAtgEgLTTKVs-gmaGKknttvWDB7d5IvAEXBn9UURA0cc93vcVJ5lYOm9Cc8JtSJq8GZHe8DN3GkSxh0Yn-54lSWLxv48xDHxeyDU4ChvpL9Gqo6XCANSn8o3kiFhLYKnfFH0Cd0uHsS0wcs3JQrSjMQ_6LnJRFQuEgxR5yLmBX8E7h5cSLJntJfHXKHcx16_rSdWHnSZ_dRvuj93OiGmE4s-nHoPnetJWRMV2NnpA3NYui3-Uu-q6ejuNwMu7A2X1YBvcSFmns-yWbqR442ZujJGiMUz2Qt9kRKlGPbJ4Hoo80b_icm4geg=w1013-h630-no

One sub-directory below is a TV Series folders for each series I have, and they look identical, several of which I have created this past week.

Now the problem areas.....

Next will be the Data user share and the one that is completely fubared, which is where all my download crap goes and copies of my softwares and backups:

bimNLWRV6RLsZC9GDFzccLJKdK942EKVSfsdxQQyNVqyuUkvK4hB7vs4TnvToANHYivJT2j5qGexwOk1OcttXatPHCqEphBH7KMtWDKPvWV8ZHHWAfRqhdgLTeijYfXWSWF2RvkxQqB7g6_eOcQOYDYAQQNgH5es1Sz0I042LTOnifHx0ArxzCc-OvJlaSjwFil3XPcsnmzkQNkBDMs1rNo10uz5x1XN3NHHItiFG2b4LV6MToAGjf47wy77gEv8ZVS1yhqK0AnNdgJNltKoD4mxHr0NErob4WReDudtVvlO2xWdl7C1sKsrLBPKQNwNmIYMiWR-ThE1APEEFkNGgsuzct34kb-6xbIcb4wdTLMUyN9ZOsjURGyj54dre9L2AyUsivoe-GNgXBbqlmodyPnUKysSgyjnP3G7hhUqCZRzVOLQ1rrEsR-QbmbWHM7BDGJNnsv7nrGp11f4rBXZEvMlH4wQcklHewQiZIeSPndJhH75CmYZbOjl0tNmmrI3JwyrMhOL7EDdwrIifUGhFDA7U-2sgXEsT_GYSA=w1016-h636-no

As you can see, Windows is being terrible on my behalf. now this is the top directory, within several sub-directories and folders within those have different looking user permissions which I will show you to try and get an idea.

These first 2 are both sub-directories just below data user share:

Downloads

NxSjtBWEfMfbGnJkqBJXUzE2a0SMhRvfHSKMhSyKz7No4siaNuByNbwYkTOG-RMOKgUcIyTdUqJ_p6aMafMuGlVrsSwZkFIJWjZ49q2jDT2ofZjsK8_FJophnGpzF6y3ZqJzo-lG6-hLscQp6AbgYVUfu09Xurkpy-h_F-Nvk_ziIjBxQevipaO43pCtBq16IVYKtAm-B5-_KZA6w6I_VepkNeKQhK_uqz089r-FYMI_BwX19N_FCgEpWC1sOrxgBiiiZ49xXxVFQHfDMwuU4Ah8-cA-_LUyJpO-lBM_aUHbAVSivHLU9Rf9FggobBZmEgQWEKwWffY3wQz8jbkAXZVBPz83f3fmDAqxFPFc7TlkCxyXHB42U82-XQPe_89DdBMlpaYrG_LU7CU-jMYVGkkCKg6ohj4VcWZg02NfxuWW6e9grSf745sHS60-iCtGPBMnNGIo3f9uVwC92nl313eA4wevQXOB9GK3ajJ0vewIHFfsMgDRrKWof-osSnev5qRtcPdaDyldoeqXIJprAtdFtg1jtYmzA9iE7Q=w1018-h632-no

Software

viRrLUiAagJGH0ly0Ci7ea2S2QKIXsb1b-nKub5084soFi61qX-puJ3Zld2awDhKG8NTP8IM2_LOlMr5c5Pgubg_utKNlipTsVU0L09nW9X6h5RbpfH0ZPcapYIFKWFG2X01wCuYzsngcZKKRmSkaAQnMgXJaJYg1N11DNZ6ADZk29gW8tovZ6pg_45g4gC8S6dq7_xYn9pP_0qmeqVulq6kUyFVRi5SlXWPKURwQCoxEP26BtMg96cMLHYtyw6rUZkdJcmCwuL3WUGm_EjaqWr-eJE9axOUKvF-bFHjWOKcdV0a2EiFCX_Fw70i73vCmtiFIVU9Y2owFfWlrvAnDnca0F920ecmO0Ay30TzvhJlgVVBNVPdeJJG_WNkFQ4khVmUvcwbX_4LH5r7l-uusEMC36lIGBWRJZUCaAzya5-YEINn2arWyKH5d6KCz41X69nRP4qkq1guJMuJSFHLqcKvsy1YRNopIoTCJ63lzKa7wWXGR9cIVtqSj44CWgeguL7bjTQBwSrVn9AJQFRjf1Y7kJOOnlpi_2aNyg=w1019-h635-no

I will add one more screen of a torrent created folder in the Downloads sub-directory:

UD52L-PFze2Q6ZGadkHrAvE7gdLYYm0FzS79cVzDw2fIjuyoQu4JS6eBw0ctKrObznuo_C7Vvh9a8KOZHbRbzhlbb2DTnPk6-EvcQyOnilQxOUwN0ty8OzDQHOvGYSAuNl81FjKuDE0B00blGHBrIg8uZ9-tX0svFCUx8zPXqiAVMZclTyTr8jlN7iw1n-7fmhVeMuRsjsDZhPSeFsyDqDUcrsFdJnnW6NXzhw5hGQY--h9m-CBBooqwJUg9w9XvVc-yMib8CVBQkIO1SgAPqg5Lt3s-mivHBMIveH9lbgnux1pGIbZLa9C2i7N-q7IIgSiUf0USjYVcUcYVuS_1l8luuSdmuQ2E_3LPum6dLI1od28Mty7c5ofZyatWxhnidWtXwYkbampi6V1qzILUuKdCuJWXT7GUyEwPbSope42ujlr35l5QCRvhEmJPUZpAmasy5JtNWKouRF-vI6J3u6RBvH_MdGg6c2LFEALjSj8s1SZmvgJfayl25UcH_3nLd9T4Fgd6Tu0pK6NvFrIA918e1hwWYkLQ1Lg_Dw=w1019-h638-no

As I can only hope you can see, Windows is anything but consistent, sometimes the "nobody"  and/or "everyone" user will be missing and the "hpofficejet" will be the owner. I will not be able to edit, delete or move this files, creating a ton of issues.

I totally believe that the New Permission tools in unRaid and removing all saved Windows credentials will be apart of my solution, once I get Windows to stop assigning permissions. Only my printer uses the hpoffice jet account, so I am not even totally sure how Windows even got ahold of that. As for the other random Creator and Owner account crap, Im lost.

Windows is still asking me for credentials to even access my unRaid shares, even after clearing all credentials. I have to use the "nobody" account with a blank password, and that seems to get me by. But is a terrible solution for the long term.

I totally believe I made this problem 100x worse, but would absolutely love it if anyone could spare some time to help me resolve this!

Thank you in advance!