1x 8TB Seagate Archive Drive - $177.35 shipped

Videodude

Jet is terrible if you ever need warranty service since Jet basically takes your money and then has your item drop shipped form another retailer. Too bad amazon didn't match this price, I'd love to remove a 1.5TB drive and move my current 6TB drive into the array.

What are the temps like on these drives compared to WD Reds?

I just got my first drive today..  Starting the pre-clear now..  I don't want to think about how long it's going to take to pre-clear this sucker!

My second one is supposed to come on Monday.  Hopefully the pre-clear will be done by then! :D

Now I'm going to have to drudge through this forum to remember the best way to upgrade a parity disk! :)

When you have found how to upgrade the parity drive please post some links as I have to do the same. Sitting on parity plus eight 2TB drives wanting to upgrade them I have to do the same and one reason I have yet to upgrade the drives.

1 - Shutdown server and replace parity disk

2 - Start server, assign new parity and start array to begin parity sync

Recommend not writing to the array until parity sync is complete,  if anything goes wrong you can use old parity to do a new config.

edited to better detail step 2

This pre-clear is going to take a while..

137MB/s, 132MB/s, and 125MB/s  for the 25% 50% and 75% points of the pre-read.  It seems like it's going to be  like 16-18 hours just for the pre-read!

I am going to use this archive drive as a parity drive justified by the link in the post above.

Jim

This pre-clear is going to take a while..

137MB/s, 132MB/s, and 125MB/s  for the 25% 50% and 75% points of the pre-read.  It seems like it's going to be  like 16-18 hours just for the pre-read!

I am going to use this archive drive as a parity drive justified by the link in the post above.

Jim

My 6TB Seagates take forever too. They're big drives ;) There's a faster pre-clear script floating around here that increases the post-read speed, but I haven't used it yet.

Ok..  Pre-clear took 60 hours!  ouch!

The parity synch seems to be taking longer too.  Maybe once this is done, I'll resynch my old parity drive for a time comparison.

It's almost at the 4T mark and it's about 14 hours into it..  I swore my old numbers were about 12 hours..  hmmm....

Jim

I doubt that the 8TB Seagate is slower than the old 4TB disk, they are some of the fastest disks I used for parity check/sync, what’s probably limiting your speed are the older disks or a controller bottleneck, this was my parity sync, and this server still has one 3TB WD green Toshiba 7200rpm, with all 8TB Seagates it would be slightly faster.

Subject: Notice [TOWER7] - Parity sync: finished (0 errors)
Description: Duration: 15 hours, 47 minutes, 30 seconds. Average speed: 140.7 MB/sec

I doubt that the 8TB Seagate is slower than the old 4TB disk, they are some of the fastest disks I used for parity check/sync, what’s probably limiting your speed are the older disks or a controller bottleneck, this was my parity sync, and this server still has one 3TB WD green, with all 8TB Seagates it would be slightly faster.

Subject: Notice [TOWER7] - Parity sync: finished (0 errors)
Description: Duration: 15 hours, 47 minutes, 30 seconds. Average speed: 140.7 MB/sec

I mean this in the nicest possible way..  but you suck! :D  I wish I had those speeds! lol

I'm really tempted to go back to the 4T parity drive just to see how long that would take..  then it would be an apples to apples comparison. But I don't know that I want to put that extra stress on my system and have my array be unavailable for another day! :(  But I am dying to know!

I don't know what to do! *pout*

I do have some older 2T and 3T disks in my system and I only have the older saslp controller (3Gb/s only I believe or was it 1.5Gb/s) 

It takes longer to do a parity check because before it was only checking up to 4TB, and now it's checking up to 8TB. Even if you have no >4TB array drives it will still take longer. I have a 6TB parity and my largest array drive is 4TB and it still checks those extra 2TB on the parity drive and takes forever.

It takes longer to do a parity check because before it was only checking up to 4TB, and now it's checking up to 8TB. Even if you have no >4TB array drives it will still take longer. I have a 6TB parity and my largest array drive is 4TB and it still checks those extra 2TB on the parity drive and takes forever.

Yes..  I'm aware of that..  but I'm comparing to when it gets to the 4T point where my old parity sync would have finished.