1x 8TB Seagate Archive Drive - $177.35 shipped

Videodude

jbuszkie =>  Another thought ... have you modified the nr_requests parameter since you last booted?    Since you recently upgraded to v6, you may have noticed that parity checks take somewhat longer, but this can be mitigated by changing nr_requests AND by disabling GUI updates.    Have you done both of these?

Yes.  The GUI will then only update when you do it manually by clicking on "Refresh" or by changing to a different tab.

This made a BIG difference when I upgraded my old C2SEA system to v6.  Initially parity checks took more than 30% longer than with v5.  After disabling page updates that dropped to a bit over 10%.    Once the nr_requests change was suggested and I did that, the speed is back to v5 levels.

Only time will tell just how reliable these drives are, but the experiences noted to date have been pretty good.

I have two of them, but not in any of my servers.  I DO plan to use them for my next server, but simply haven't needed the additional space yet.    Others who are using them have all reported good results -- I've not seen any reports of failures.

And they do NOT have "... low ... read/write speed ..."  ==> with their 1.33GB/platter density it's actually quite the opposite ... performance is quite good for a drive that rotates at a relatively low speed.    The only issue is if you were using them in a manner that caused the persistent cache to get full ... THEN the write speed slows to a dramatic crawl.    You can read a good bit about these drives here:  http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=39526.0

I'd never heard of Jet.Com before....my Drive showed up today in a NewEgg Box... I guess for the price, I don't really care!

Did you get a Newegg packing slip? If so, does it say anything different from a regular Newegg order?

Packing List has "Jet" at the Top, but there is a "NewEgg SO#"  and "NewEgg Item Number" (22-178-748) in the body of the List...

Jet is just a consolidator => they drop ship products from a number of vendors ... they have agreements with these vendors r.e. pricing and quantities -- so you never actually know who's going to fulfill an order you make with them.  You might get a drive from Newegg this time, and some non-name distributor the next.

Note that hard drive warranties aren't dependent on who you purchased your drive from -- in fact you don't need a receipt for the drive at all.    The warranty is based solely on the serial number.    The ONLY time you need a receipt is if you have a drive you purchased new from some vendor's NOS ("new, old stock") -- the manufacturer will honor the stated warranty length if you can prove that you purchased it later than the serial number would normally imply.

Note that hard drive warranties aren't dependent on who you purchased your drive from -- in fact you don't need a receipt for the drive at all.    The warranty is based solely on the serial number.    The ONLY time you need a receipt is if you have a drive you purchased new from some vendor's NOS ("new, old stock") -- the manufacturer will honor the stated warranty length if you can prove that you purchased it later than the serial number would normally imply.

Good to know, thanks.

I'm almost finished building a new UnRAID setup with 3 of these drives (1 parity + 2 data). Just thought I'd share my numbers.

My preclear time was just over 60 hours for the 3 drives. This was with the flast post-read flag set, although I may have messed that up.

I'm almost finished with building my parity as well now. I'm about 11 hours in and 75% finished. The total time when finished should be about 15.5 hours total, which honestly isn't too bad in my mind considering the parity drive is 8TB.

My second drive from them was a dud!  Wasn't recognized! :-(

So back it goes.  Jet wouldn't send me another. I think they figured I got the 20% off deal twice!  but I had a 15% off code from them and the drive was a little more.. so instead of $177...  I paid $195. Still a good deal, I think.

Hopefully this one is better!

Jim

My second drive from them was a dud!  Wasn't recognized! :-(

So back it goes.  Jet wouldn't send me another. I think they figured I got the 20% off deal twice!  but I had a 15% off code from them and the drive was a little more.. so instead of $177...  I paid $195. Still a good deal, I think.

Hopefully this one is better!

Jim

Please let us know how the return process works with Jet. Do they cover shipping to you and back to them?

zero issues with the return process.  I even clicked the waive free return but the sent me a label anyway..  I did talk to them on the phone.

The label does say bill sender...  So I don't know if they will bill me?  I don't know how they could?

It seems like I could have done it online too pretty easy..

zero issues with the return process.  I even clicked the waive free return but the sent me a label anyway..  I did talk to them on the phone.

The label does say bill sender...  So I don't know if they will bill me?  I don't know how they could?

It seems like I could have done it online too pretty easy..

Oh good, I'm glad to hear that. Do you think they would've sent you a replacement if they didn't think you used the 1-time coupon twice?