[DOCKER] Pipework

That was it.  TVH 4.1 (unstable) sees the tuners fine using pipework.  TVH 4.0.x (stable)...no dice!

Now I just need to figure out if I can upgrade from 4.0 to 4.1 with my existing config.  I really don't want to feel the pain of starting over.  :-\

Thanks ting for following up ting.

John

I am thinking about removing the beta tag from this docker container. The actual container is managed by someone else and appears to be stable. The only beta part was the unraid container configuration.

With the beta tag removed it may attract a few more people to try it out.

Anybody got any thoughts on this?

Agree.

Pipework has been working great! However, I just installed it on my brother's server and it won't start. I keep getting an error that says: error: can't connect to unix:///docker.sock.

To test this out, I reinstalled it on my server. I updated the software and now I'm getting the error on my own server.

Both are UnRaid 6.1.7.

Any thoughts on what might be happening? docker.sock is mapped to /var/run/docker.sock.

Thanks!

^^^^^^^^^^^ Has anyone else run into this issue? I believe you may if you remove the Pipework container and then reinstall it...

Pipework has been working great! However, I just installed it on my brother's server and it won't start. I keep getting an error that says: error: can't connect to unix:///docker.sock.

To test this out, I reinstalled it on my server. I updated the software and now I'm getting the error on my own server.

Both are UnRaid 6.1.7.

Any thoughts on what might be happening? docker.sock is mapped to /var/run/docker.sock.

Thanks!

^^^^^^^^^^^ Has anyone else run into this issue? I believe you may if you remove the Pipework container and then reinstall it...

The last build definitely failed:

https://hub.docker.com/r/dreamcat4/pipework/builds/

Build failed: The command '/bin/sh -c apt-get update -qq && apt-get install -qqy apt-transport-https && apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys D8576A8BA88D21E9 && echo deb http://get.docker.io/ubuntu docker main > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/docker.list && apt-get update -qq && apt-get install -qqy lxc-docker && $_apt_clean' returned a non-zero code: 100

Not sure what you can do about it other than create a new docker repo and build it.  In the meantime, I suggest no one else remove/reinstall or force and update.

John

I was playing around with this and got something up and running I logged into the terminal of UnRaid as root and ran the following command:

docker run -d --name="pipework_old" --net="host" --privileged="true" -e TZ="America/New_York" -v "/var/run/docker.sock":"/docker.sock":rw --pid=host -e run_mode=batch,daemon -e host_routes=true dreamcat4/pipework:1.1.3

This seemed to load the earlier version (1.1.3) of Pipework that loads and runs. I then load another docker (call it Docker B) as I normally would. (-e 'pipework_cmd=br0 @CONTAINER_NAME@ 192.168.1.50/[email protected]') When I connect to Docker B and do an ifconfig I notice that the IP address does in fact work. However, I'm not able to ping outside of my network.

That's all I have so far.

EDIT: Maybe I wasn't patient enough, but now it's working. I am able to ping out (e.g. ping 8.8.8.8).

ryryonline, if the only thing you have changed is the docker image repository then you should be able to do it with the advanced options in the docker settings. This may make the docker usable again.

8d3035e10d32757b21667e7964618317.jpg

Change the repository to the one you used in the command line.

Thanks! I just tried and, yes, it works! I didn't even see the repository option in the advanced settings. Very cool way to "rollback" just in case.

Best

I have done some reading on the docker image tagging. It by default grabs the one tagged latest. From what I can tell dreamcat4 uses a combination of latest, stable and build numbers as tags.

I may look at modifying the plugin so that it grabs a build with a tag that is stable with unraid. This would hopefully prevent it from breaking like this again.

I did the above, started the docker. Added the required line to another docker and this completely kills my server. Freezes over IPMI also.

I tried this on my brother's server (remotely over his VPN). The Pipework docker seems fine but when I start the Trainsmission docker to change the IP address I can no longer access his server remotely. I have to have my brother reboot from within his network. Back to the drawing board.

Same issue as above...

Was your issue with Transmission or a completely different Docker? If it was Transmission, which repo did you use? Mine is through linuxserver.io.

EDIT: I just realized that in the Transmission docker, I forgot to set the Network Type to NONE. I had it set to Bridge. Once I made those changes, everything seems to be up and running.

• 4 months later...

If you have tried running this docker container with unraid 6.2 you may have had issues as I did in getting this to work.

I haven't found a proper solution yet but I have found that it works if I restart the pipework container after starting/restarting the container that i have assigned an ip too. Far from an ideal fix but I am happy I have dedicated ip's for my dockers while I find a better solution.

I did give network features in docker 1.10 (unraid 6.2) a good go but couldn't get it to work.

• 3 weeks later...

Is this still the best way to get a container on the local LAN if using 6.2 (hand hence docker 1.10)

https://hub.docker.com/r/dreamcat4/pipework/ now recommends alternatives for L2 bridging if using Docker 1.10

They link to this page (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/35742807/docker-1-10-containers-ip-in-lan)

I tried following those steps but get stuck when attempting to bridge the bridge, I am using a bond and the tells me the interface is already bridge and can't be linked.

I am trying to move my plex docker onto a different IP so I can monitor its bandwidth usage.

I had to remap docker.sock to get this to work.

I am using 1.1.3 and it was looking for /var/tun/docker.sock inside the container, not /docker.sock as it was mapped in the template.

I added a second Volume Mapping and it is all working. I haven't had any issues requiring any container restarting.

• 3 weeks later...

Followed the instructions in the last couple of pages, I notice my docker gets a static IP and I'm able to ping it from within unRAID but not from another host on my network. Once I go into the docker, I can see the static IP as I specified but can't ping google.com. I set the interface type to None in the docker, using pipework 1.1.3 and it is set to Host. I bridged my interface in unRAID to br0. Using unRAID 6.1.9. Thoughts?

Followed the instructions in the last couple of pages, I notice my docker gets a static IP and I'm able to ping it from within unRAID but not from another host on my network. Once I go into the docker, I can see the static IP as I specified but can't ping google.com. I set the interface type to None in the docker, using pipework 1.1.3 and it is set to Host. I bridged my interface in unRAID to br0. Using unRAID 6.1.9. Thoughts?

Post your extra parameters line in your Docker.  Not sure of verison 1.1.3, I use 'larrycai/pipework:1.7.1' for the repository.  Container Page

I have finally found the problem that causes Pipework to not work correctly on unraid 6.2.

I have mentioned it to the author of the docker container but they have previously stated that they no longer support it, so probably not going to be much happening there.

You can check out the GitHub issue here if you are interested.

I might have a go at fixing it myself if I get the time.

Post your extra parameters line in your Docker.  Not sure of verison 1.1.3, I use 'larrycai/pipework:1.7.1' for the repository.  Container Page

I just tried larrycai with same result. Something is off I guess.

This is the line in my Docker.

-e 'pipework_cmd=br0 @CONTAINER_NAME@ 192.168.1.44/[email protected]'

This is the line in the pipework docker

--pid=host -e run_mode=batch,daemon -e host_routes=true

Then this is the syslog:

Aug 30 07:34:32 clarabell avahi-daemon[20608]: Joining mDNS multicast group on interface 01p8d957101539b.IPv4 with address 192.168.3.250.
Aug 30 07:34:32 clarabell avahi-daemon[20608]: New relevant interface 01p8d957101539b.IPv4 for mDNS.
Aug 30 07:34:32 clarabell avahi-daemon[20608]: Registering new address record for 192.168.2.250 on 01p8d957101539b.IPv4.
Aug 30 07:34:34 clarabell ntpd[2055]: Listen normally on 11 01p8d957101539b 192.168.2.250:123
Aug 30 07:34:34 clarabell ntpd[2055]: new interface(s) found: waking up resolver
Aug 30 07:34:46 clarabell kernel: br0: port 2(veth1pl13970) entered learning state
Aug 30 07:35:01 clarabell kernel: br0: topology change detected, propagating
Aug 30 07:35:01 clarabell kernel: br0: port 2(veth1pl13970) entered forwarding state

ifconfig reports a lot interfaces which seem to odd:

01p8d957101539b: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500
        inet 192.168.1.250  netmask 255.255.255.0  broadcast 0.0.0.0
        ether ea:57:a9:bc:98:98  txqueuelen 0  (Ethernet)
        RX packets 285  bytes 27526 (26.8 KiB)
        RX errors 0  dropped 0  overruns 0  frame 0
        TX packets 20  bytes 4820 (4.7 KiB)
        TX errors 0  dropped 0 overruns 0  carrier 0  collisions 0

01p9b83c20aeb7a: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500
        inet 192.168.1.254  netmask 255.255.255.0  broadcast 0.0.0.0
        ether b2:a0:31:e3:0d:04  txqueuelen 0  (Ethernet)
        RX packets 48790  bytes 5240234 (4.9 MiB)
        RX errors 0  dropped 1369  overruns 0  frame 0
        TX packets 82  bytes 9522 (9.2 KiB)

01pc13ccb419510: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500
        inet 192.168.1.251  netmask 255.255.255.0  broadcast 0.0.0.0
        ether 86:df:37:1e:64:82  txqueuelen 0  (Ethernet)
        RX packets 46142  bytes 4811775 (4.5 MiB)
        RX errors 0  dropped 0  overruns 0  frame 0
        TX packets 104  bytes 10959 (10.7 KiB)