First Build, Need Advice. Media Server,etc.

Donnyp

I'm looking to build my first unRAID server, but I have no idea where to begin, their are so many options. I currently use my main desktop computer for all my storage, so it's on all the time.

I would like a better solution, where I could have something run 24/7 behind closed doors I don't need to worry about and can possibly downsize on my main desktop computer to only running my SSD

I'm currently running I believe 5 HDD's. They are near full and its began to start making some loud, strange noises. I believe a hard drive might be to blame. I would like to get a server built and running before I lose any of my data.

I have numerous Blu-Rays and TV shows ripped, along with music, that I don't want to lose. I'm afraid that strange noise I'm hearing is a hard drive going bad and I'm not sure which one it is.

I currently run:

2 2TB WD Green drives

Seagate Barracuda 1TB

Samsung 1TB

WD caviar 250gb

Intel SSD

I would like to get some more uniformity and either run WD red's or green's, preferably all the same size, or close to it.

Primary Uses:

Media server

Possibly VM, will need to look more into this but it does look intriguing

Utorrent, if possible

SabNZB, Sickbeard, couch potato (Still unsure on this, haven't used them in quite awhile but could be an option)

I would just like to run either apple tv's, roku's, chromebox or some other type of streaming device and have one central location for it all.

I've done plenty of reading but hardware changes so fast/often it's hard to keep up, plus now unRAID 6 is out and I heard its suppose to be that much better.

I currently have a brand new Antec 300 case sitting in my basement. Is this still a good case to use? or do I need something bigger?

Help on hardware options would be awesome, I'll still continue to read all I can.

I hope I covered enough in this post, otherwise if I missed any,please ask.

What is your budget? Do you have any old parts kicking around besides the case? The things you mentioned do not require much processor power so any hardware from the last five years or so will work. How much storage capacity do you want to have in the future? Do you care about noise? Do you care about efficiency? (use old hardware that uses a little more power, but costs less).

I'm a big fan of old server class hardware (motherboard, memory, processor, controller cards)  that you can pick up on ebay for cheap, but that is not a path everybody wants to take.

What is your budget? Do you have any old parts kicking around besides the case? The things you mentioned do not require much processor power so any hardware from the last five years or so will work. How much storage capacity do you want to have in the future? Do you care about noise? Do you care about efficiency? (use old hardware that uses a little more power, but costs less).

I'm a big fan of old server class hardware (motherboard, memory, processor, controller cards)  that you can pick up on ebay for cheap, but that is not a path everybody wants to take.

Just the case is all I have. I use to have a few spare computers laying around, I would have to check. Leaning towards buying all new though. 

I would like it to be somewhat future proof. I'm looking towards having about 12tb of storage to start with. I would like to add more space as it fills up. So being able to had more drives is a big want. If I use the antec 300 case I have, it should be able to fit 10 drives in it.

Max is 15 I believe if I add 3 of these

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816133030&cm_re=Hot_swap_rack_module-_-16-133-030-_-Product

Obviously would need sata card I assume

I don't care about noise as it will be either in media closet or in my basement.

I would like it to be as power efficient as possible as it will be running 24/7.

I was leaning towards a lower end i3.  Better to have a little extra cpu power for the future, then to need it and not have it.  My first thought was the G3258. So undecided on the cpu. Better to stick to Intel?

ECC is great, and will help with bitrot/etc over time. It can only make the server better, but it isn't "required".

Here are some ideas of parts to go cheap with desktop type hardware turned server, and some entry level server hardware:

Cheap: ~ $190 to $320+ for mb/cpu/ram

ASRock H97M Pro4 LGA 1150 Intel H97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard $79

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157512

Intel Pentium G3258 Haswell Dual-Core 3.2 GHz LGA 1150 53W BX80646G3258 Desktop Processor $69

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117374

2x4GB DDR3 $40

Lots to choose from, so i'm not linking anything specific. Just verify you get the minimum speed (probably ddr3 1600)

This mb would be VT-d ready, but the cpu isn't. this means you can't pass videocards/etc to VMs. You can still run VMs, dockers, etc all just fine. You just can't build something like a gaming machine inside your unRAID box without these features. If you wanted VT-d now, swap to a compatible cpu (most haswell i5 or i7), probably upping your cpu cost from $70 to ~$200+

Expensive: $560 (Server mb (12 sata)/xeon /w video/ecc ram)

SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SL7-F-O uATX Server Motherboard LGA 1150 Intel C222 DDR3 1600 $250

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182821

Intel Xeon E3-1226 v3 Haswell 3.3GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1150 84W Server Processor BX80646E31226V3  $225

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117319

2x4GB DDR3 EEC $85

You can see from my sig that I recycled my old desktop to be my server. Its on 24/7, and consumes about 75w on average. I also used to store it all on my desktop, and leave it on all the time. I've been able to reduce the size of my primary desktop, and run just an SSD (though I sometimes take it to friends houses, so I'm going to throw in a 1tb hdd just for extra space).