Lian-Li D8000 case, any thoughts/tips/experience?

HiSoC8Y

Ok, so I'm looking to replace my Norco 4224 box.

Someone suggested the Lian-Li D8000, which from the first impression i loved it. I like the idea of the available space in the box, many possibilities!

So who has experience with this? what are the cons of it, and how to overcome them?

What additional accessories should i get if i decide to buy it?

Because my Norco 4224 connects the HDDs to the cards via the cables (SFF-8087 to SFF-8087), and the Lian-Li D8000 doesn't have that backplane for each HDD slot, what will be the solution?

The D-8000 is a superb case for a maxed-out system in a tower form-factor.

Built-in casters so it's easy to move;  LOTS of space for excellent internal airflow;  accommodates ANY size motherboard you might want to use; and easily handles 24 drives (or more).

The 20 slots for 3.5" drives in front can easily be changed to hot-swap bays by using the Lian-Li BP series backplanes:  http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g/c273/s677/list/p1/b3/Lian_Li-HDD_Enclosures_Adapters-35_HDD_Hot-Swap-Page1.html    You'd need 6 BP3SATA units and 2 BP1SATA units to do this [Total of $177.92].

You also have 5 availiable 5.25" bays above the drives -- you could either mount a drive in each of those; or add a 4-in-3 or 5-in-3 cage to the left side group of 3 and easily get to 24 drives or beyond.    I'd use one of the excellent Icy Dock Black Vortex 4-in-3 cages [ http://www.amazon.com/Vortex-MB074SP-1B-Hot-Swap-Module-Cooler/dp/B00LICRE8A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1447615245&sr=8-2&keywords=icy+dock+mb174u3s-4sb ]  => this has superb cooling; and will give you a total of 24 hot-swap bays if you install the BP series adapters in the 20 built-in slots.    ... and still leave you with 2 usable 5.25" bays => you could put one of these in one of them and support 4 SSDs:  http://www.amazon.com/B-Q2T5-5-25-Drive-Adapter-Bracket/dp/B008L5Y4OO

[Or use two and have support for 8 SSDs !!]

The ONLY "cons" are the size (but anything that supports that many drives is going to be rather large);  weight (again, when you load 24 or more drives in a case, it's going to be heavy -- and this has casters that make it very easy to move around);  and I suppose the cost (it's not cheap -- but it is VERY high quality and you'll almost certainly NEVER need to replace it).

A big advantage of its size is that it's VERY easy to work with -- there's a removable motherboard tray; and plenty of space internally for you to work with as you're organizing your cables; installing fans, drives, etc.

While none of my personal systems use this, I have built two systems for others with the case, and it's definitely a joy to use.    I'll very likely use this case for my next "mondo" system unless I decide to buy a rack and use a rack-mount chassis [i've been debating which way to go ... but one thing's clear:  I won't use a rack-mount case unless I have a nice rack; and when you factor that in the D-8000 setup is FAR less expensive than a rack-mounted option].

I've got one and LOVE the thing. It is awesome!! one of the great advantages that weren't mentioned is the cooling capability of the drives. There is more space between them and SIX 120/140mm fans that feed DIRECTLY in to the hdds. I think the case can hold about 16 fans (rough estimate). My drives stay at about 24-26C at all times. In an icy dock I had, they would stay about 10C warmer. That's a pretty huge difference. Oh, did I mention that I only have about 3-4 fans actually running because I need to get a controller. Great case, not for everyone, but it was an easy choice for me when I finally came across it.

thanks everyone for your valuable inputs and feedback.

Now i'm seriously thinking of getting it.

when i browse the lian-li website, their accessories page, how can i determine which parts are compatible with the D8000?

About the fans, I own and love the Noctua fans, will they will work this case? if so, which ones for which part of the case?

when i browse the lian-li website, their accessories page, how can i determine which parts are compatible with the D8000?

There aren't really any accessories that are unique to the D-8000 (basically just a couple of radiator panels for liquid cooling ... one with 120mm fans and one with 140mm fans).  There other accessories are common case accessories that will work with any case (including the D-8000) that can hold the accessory ... e.g. 3.5" bay fan controls;  5.25" bay fan controls; the BP1SATA, BP2SATA, and BP3SATA backplanes that I mentioned earlier; etc.

Except for perhaps one of the 5.25" bay fan controls and the BPxSATA units that I noted (to convert all the drive bays to hot-swap) there's really nothing you'd need to add to the case.

About the fans, I own and love the Noctua fans, will they will work this case? if so, which ones for which part of the case?

The case can hold a LOT of fans (I don't recall the exact total) ... they can be either 120mm or 140mm units.    So basically Yes, you can use your Noctua fans as long as they're either 120mm or 140mm fans.    If you're buying ones, I'd get 140mm units.

Got another question.

I'm currently using the Norco-4224, which connects the HDDs via SFF8087 connectors, not SATA 3.

Is it possible to use some sort of cables/converters to use the same method as Norco? that means, connecting multiple HDDs via SFF8087 connector to my SATA Controller card. 

This way, I want to reduce connecting each HDD to the motherboard via the traditional SATA cable.

Possible? If so, any recommendations?

You have to use whatever connectors the drive bays you're using require.    This may require breakout cables; SATA cables; etc. => but if you're using a D-8000 with the Lian-Li BPxSATA hot-swap connections, then on that end they require SATA connections.

I presume you know that there's NO electrical difference between these connections -- they all are passing SATA signaling.

I believe you would want to hotswap backplane option mentioned by gary.

The case hold a TON of fans. I think roughly 16, if you want to max it out. Everything, IIRC, is 120mm and 140mm. I honestly have 4 fans running. One next to my 5 hdds that are in the unit (Intake), one on the back by the MB (exhaust), another in the back as well (exhuast), and the cpu/heasink fan. I just did a parity check that took about 24 hrs and I never saw a drive get above 28C. They were almost always at 24-26C. I also have a filter on the intake locations on the sides where the hdds are.

As stated previously, I chose this case for the ease of expandability, native capacity, and superior cooling abilities (as opposed to norco type of setups). Yes, it is a large case, but I love it.

... Yes, it is a large case, but I love it.

I had seen one before I first used it for someone else, and I also loved it ... the exceptionally high-quality build; the smooth rolling casters; etc. just make this a VERY nice unit.    I will absolutely use this case if I decide to build a maxed out system.

As I noted above, I HAVE built two systems with it ... in both cases I suggested it for its exceptionally high quality and told the potential user (friends in both cases) that it was very nice but also VERY large => and despite the up-front warning they were both surprised at just how large it is ... but after getting it they both LOVE it.  If you don't want a rack and rack-mounted equipment, this is simply as good as it gets for a system that can hold 24+ drives.

[And it's actually BETTER than rack-mounted gear when it comes to keeping everything cool]