[Support] Linuxserver.io - Transmission

Hello!

I'm getting an "Unable to Connect" error to my Transmission docker. Tried both FF and Edge same error. While waiting for a reply I went ahead and removed the docker and then reinstalled it. Still having the same issue.

How do I resolve an unable to connect error via web browser for transmission? And while we're at it, is it usually the same solution for all dockers?

Secondly, how do I connect via consol?

Had some major PSU issues recently resulting is false HDD failures and errors. Replaced PSU, MB, CPU and RAM and rebuilt the server and the array. IP address has changed as well, perhaps this has something to do with it?

Initially none of my dockers worked, but a couple of reboots later and a HDD xfs_repair only Transmission and NC are refusing to work.

Thanks for your help!

Edited by blakeslade
Added info.
  • 4 weeks later...
On 2/27/2022 at 4:10 AM, vanso said:

2022-02-26 12:03:04.735] JSON parse failed in /config/settings.json at pos 902: SPECIAL_EXPECTED -- remaining text "peerport,

"p"
[2022-02-26 12:03:04.735] transmission-daemon Error loading config file -- exiting. (/home/buildozer/aports/community/transmission/src/transmission-3.00/daemon/daemon.c:825)

HI, how to fix it?

Edit - The below issues were with the nzbtomedia fork of this docker.  I had previously tried this fork and wasn't able to connect to it.  So today I tried again in case it was the nzb... fork that was the issue.  After numerous attempts to connect to transmission using this docker I gave up and went back to the nzb... version.  I'll have to figure the below issue out, but at least I can connect.  I think this container may be broken as I tried to disable RPC.  I removed whitelist.  I edited the settings.json to set rpc to false and no matter what I did it wouldn't connect

I have installed transmission and have migrated a bunch of torrents and data in that all seem to be working properly

I have left the username and group ID as default (which I assume is nobody)

I have mapped /downloads to /mnt/user/Downloads/Transmission Downloads (edit - I fixed this as I discovered that I had somehow changed to container variable to Downloads). 

I have made my own mapping in the docker for /share and it is /mnt/user which allows me to access all my media folders within transmission.  

I have got it seeding over 2000 torrents in various shares and that is all working well

I'm having issues whenever I try to download anything new it saves it to the docker image.  I have made sure all the folders and shares are owned by 'nobody'.  I had SMB enabled and the various shares were set to secure.  I didn't think that would cause the issue, but just in case I put them to public and that didn't fix it.  I have tried downloading into /downloads and into /share/... and have had no luck so far

I also have an rTorrent docker setup similarly and it has no problem downloading into whatever directory I set it to.  

So after checking things again I discovered that I had changed the path inside the docker to /Downloads.  I changed it back to /downloads and it will now download to that folder.  Now if I can get it downloading to /share

Final Edit - I got it all working now.  Turns out that all downloads were going to /downloads/incomplete and when that was set wrong all of my downloads were going to the docker image.  Now that I have that fixed they all work properly and go to where I designate when finished downloading.  

For anybody having issues with this linuxservers version not letting them connect I recommend using the nzbtomedia version instead.  From recent posts it seems there is some sort of glitch in this version that is making connections to the gui problematic, if not impossible

Edited by go69cars
added new info
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm having an issue where every time I stop the Transmission docker it verifies all the torrents again when it restarts.  It has over 2000 torrents seeding so it's taking a long time to complete every time.  If I understand correctly when you stop a docker it gives the process inside 15 seconds to stop before killing it.  I thought what was happening was that transmission couldn't get all the resume files finished before the process was killed.  I then went into the Docker and gave the command to stop it  

transmission-remote -n 'username:password' --exit.  

It didn't have the desired effect.  It seemed transmission stopped, but then restarted immediately and all of the torrents were verifying again.  

Should I try it again, but shut off the automatic start for the docker?  Is there another way to accomplish what I'm after?  I don't remember transmission behaving this way previously

I have thousands of torrents too and whenever transmission starts it always takes at least half an hour for it to be fully ready and everything seeding or downloading. It doesn't completely reverify them though, it doesn't run the hash check through file contents, that would take way longer.

Mine is verifying every torrent over again.  I assume it must have something to do with the resume files, but that is just a guess.  Fortunately many of the torrents are small so go fairly quickly, but the last 200-300 take about 8 hours to finish

It's quite annoying

root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name='transmission-nzbtomedia' --net='bridge' -e TZ="America/Regina" -e HOST_OS="Unraid" -e HOST_HOSTNAME="Tower" -e HOST_CONTAINERNAME="transmission-nzbtomedia" -e 'PUID'='99' -e 'PGID'='100' -l net.unraid.docker.managed=dockerman -l net.unraid.docker.webui='http://[IP]:[PORT:9091]/' -l net.unraid.docker.icon='https://raw.githubusercontent.com/thraxis/docker-templates/master/thraxis/img/transmission-nzbtomedia-icon.png' -p '9091:9091/tcp' -p '51413:51413/tcp' -v '/mnt/user/Downloads/Transmission Downloads/':'/downloads':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/Downloads/Transmission Watch/':'/watch':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/':'/share':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/appdata/transmission/':'/config':'rw' 'thraxis/transmission-nzbtomedia'

3aed7fb6428f3b5ab50855ca8cb1aae228589e4e6d0f0b6eefe81fb3f287184f

The command finished successfully!

On 3/19/2022 at 8:52 AM, cherrybullet said:

Instead of editing `settings.json`, have you tried setting the `USER` and `PASS` environment variables?

https://docs.linuxserver.io/images/docker-transmission#environment-variables-e

Problem was that it was adding default values into *.json as WHITELIST etc which makes GUI client unable to connect.

Now is working for some time already, but seems like something was/is messed up in release

Yea it wouldn't connect.  I tried many times in many different ways and just couldn't get it to connect

The version I'm using is supposed to be a fork of this version.  The support page for it is essentially dead so I thought I'd try here

Edited by go69cars
added more information
  • 1 month later...
6 hours ago, BreakfastPurrito said:

I can't seem to get Transmission to move files to another share. I have these setting for the container:

image.thumb.png.023d02e0f3cd94951b6a53050dfd6217.png

What I want to do is move files to /mnt/user/Media for instance, but it won't.

I tried setting the /downloads path to /mnt/user/, but then nothing works and my downloaded files don't show up.

What am I doing wrong?

- stop transmission

- move files over from `/mnt/user/Downloads` to `/mnt/user/Media`

- update the transmission settings to point to `/mnt/user/Media`

- start transmission

for transmission, it should not notice any change, it will keep running as if the files are in the same path. 

7 hours ago, cherrybullet said:

- stop transmission

- move files over from `/mnt/user/Downloads` to `/mnt/user/Media`

- update the transmission settings to point to `/mnt/user/Media`

- start transmission

for transmission, it should not notice any change, it will keep running as if the files are in the same path. 

No I want to do that in Transmission for selected files, not move the download folder.

20 minutes ago, BreakfastPurrito said:

No I want to do that in Transmission for selected files, not move the download folder.

Sounds tough. You may have to move all your downloaded files into `/mnt/user` first. Not sure if unraid supports that actually but you could try it and move everything back if it doesn't work out

- stop transmission

- `mv /mnt/user/Downloads/* /mnt/user`

- start transmission

- from within transmission, "change data location" to your desired folder

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I set the rpc-whitelist true,

but only the first time can login without username and password

and then the username and password is required everytime,

I have checked the settings.json file,  settings like this:

"rpc-authentication-required": true,      
"rpc-bind-address": "0.0.0.0",  
"rpc-enabled": true,                
"rpc-host-whitelist": "",      
"rpc-host-whitelist-enabled": false,

"rpc-whitelist": "192.168.2.*", 
"rpc-whitelist-enabled": true,

• 3 weeks later...

hey, anyone meet like this log data

JSON parse failed in /config/settings.json at pos 902: SPECIAL_EXPECTED -- remaining text "peerport,
    "p"
[2022-08-24 09:38:03.044] transmission-daemon Error loading config file -- exiting. (/home/buildozer/aports/community/transmission/src/transmission-3.00/daemon/daemon.c:825)

and also the webui can't open, 

I'm trying to run multiple instances of this docker on Unraid.

In general I'm having reasonable success but the initial instance is the only one working properly.

The issue is that the second and third instance are showing as not being accessible from the outside, but after double and triple checking port forwarding, it seems to be a problem with the docker itself somehow.

Here's what I mean.  On a console, I see this output

netstat -ntlp | grep LISTEN

(snip)

tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:52333           0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      9025/docker-proxy   
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:52329           0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      3551/docker-proxy   
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:52331           0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      6311/docker-proxy   

(snip)
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:9093            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      9076/docker-proxy   
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:9092            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      3598/docker-proxy   
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:9091            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      6348/docker-proxy   
(snip -- including IPv6 entries for these)

The three dockers have 9091, 9092, 9093 for the web UI and rpc.  They have 52331, 52329 and 52333 for BT traffic.

On my LAN, I can access the web UI for each of the three -- and make transmission-remote calls using 9091, 9092 and 9093.

The first one has client traffic accessible from outside the LAN just fine i.e. it indicates when I look at the settings that port is open, and I can use external testing tools to confirm the port is open, plus when I visit tracker web sites they show that I am reachable.

The other two are not accessible from outside the LAN i.e. inbound traffic doesn't work.

Now, here's the kicker -- I can see above that the dockers should be getting the BT traffic, i.e. on the Unraid system, those parts are showing as being open, so on a whim, I plugged in

http://10.50.0.250:52331

into a browser on my LAN, and I get a response -- it's a series of responses saying it's not a valid response.  That's the one that is accessible from the outside.  So, that's the expected response.

If I plug in one of the ones that doesn't work

http://10.50.0.250:52329

I get a "refused to connect" error -- so the docker seems to be refusing the connection, or somehow the port isn't being properly forwarded.

I am at a loss.  This test seems to indicate that whatever is going on is local i.e. the port isn't being properly forwarded from docker.

Here's the stuff from starting the one that works:

root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name='transmission' --net='bridge' -e TZ="America/Los_Angeles" -e HOST_OS="Unraid" -e HOST_HOSTNAME="unraid" -e HOST_CONTAINERNAME="transmission" -e 'TRANSMISSION_WEB_HOME'='/flood-for-transmission/' -e 'PEERPORT'='52331' -e 'WHITELIST'='10.55.0.*,127.0.0.1' -e 'PUID'='99' -e 'PGID'='100' -e 'UMASK'='022' -l net.unraid.docker.managed=dockerman -l net.unraid.docker.webui='http://[IP]:[PORT:9091]' -l net.unraid.docker.icon='https://raw.githubusercontent.com/linuxserver/docker-templates/master/linuxserver.io/img/transmission-logo.png' -p '9091:9091/tcp' -p '52331:52331/tcp' -p '52331:52331/udp' -v '/mnt/user/tunes_work/BTDownloads':'/downloads':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/tunes_work/BTWatch/':'/watch':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/easystore':'/easystore':'ro' -v '/mnt/user/home':'/mnt/home':'ro' -v '/mnt/user/appdata/transmission':'/config':'rw' 'lscr.io/linuxserver/transmission'

and it shows these mappings for the bridge

172.17.0.3:52331/TCP10.55.0.250:52331
172.17.0.3:52331/UDP10.55.0.250:52331
172.17.0.3:9091/TCP10.55.0.250:9091

Here's the stuff from starting one of the ones that doesn't work:

root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name='transmission_Dime' --net='bridge' -e TZ="America/Los_Angeles" -e HOST_OS="Unraid" -e HOST_HOSTNAME="unraid" -e HOST_CONTAINERNAME="transmission_Dime" -e 'TRANSMISSION_WEB_HOME'='/flood-for-transmission/' -e 'PEERPORT'='52329' -e 'WHITELIST'='10.55.0.*,127.0.0.1' -e 'PUID'='99' -e 'PGID'='100' -e 'UMASK'='022' -l net.unraid.docker.managed=dockerman -l net.unraid.docker.webui='http://[IP]:[PORT:9091]' -l net.unraid.docker.icon='https://raw.githubusercontent.com/linuxserver/docker-templates/master/linuxserver.io/img/transmission-logo.png' -p '9092:9091/tcp' -p '52329:52331/tcp' -p '52329:52331/udp' -v '/mnt/user/tunes_work/BTDownloads':'/downloads':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/tunes_work/BTWatch/':'/watch':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/easystore':'/easystore':'ro' -v '/mnt/user/home':'/mnt/home':'ro' -v '/mnt/user/appdata/transmission_Dime':'/config':'rw' 'lscr.io/linuxserver/transmission'

and these mappings

172.17.0.4:52331/TCP10.55.0.250:52329
172.17.0.4:52331/UDP10.55.0.250:52329
172.17.0.4:9091/TCP10.55.0.250:9092

I am running today's version of this docker.  I updated everything when I started having problems.

Any thoughts?  I'm at a loss.  Admittedly I've never tried to do this before, run multiple copies of the same docker.