[Support] Linuxserver.io - Transmission

3 minutes ago, tshorts said:

I have an issue for the last 2 years or so:

Seeding torrents (100% downloaded) get set to 99.9% at random and get set as Stopped or Error - and I have to restart them manually. The files integrity doesn't seem to be affected. 

I have around 500 seeding torrents, from different trackers, oldest 2 years oldest, newest 1 day old. None of that seem to affect if a torrent get set to 99.9% or not. 

It's been the same for more than a year (perhaps since first use but took me a while to notice), so it's not just a bad version. 

It's the only torrent-client I've used on unraid because Transmission Remote GUI is so wonderful, so I don't know if it's a torrent<->unraid problem, or a Transmission problem. 

1. What is the cause of this? Is it a know issue?
2. Is there a fix? 

3. Is there a workaround, aka making Transmission try to automatically restart all Stopped and Errored torrents once a hour or so?

Are you doing a forced re-check of the 99.9% torrent before restarting it?

Honestly, this sounds like failing hardware to me.  To put it in perspective, I have three instances of Transmission running on my system, roughly 6,000 torrents between them, and I've never had what you describe happen, ever.

• Like 1
On 12/8/2022 at 9:59 PM, rramstad said:

Are you doing a forced re-check of the 99.9% torrent before restarting it?

Honestly, this sounds like failing hardware to me.  To put it in perspective, I have three instances of Transmission running on my system, roughly 6,000 torrents between them, and I've never had what you describe happen, ever.

You mean "Verify"? I did in the beginning, but not anymore, takes to long time. I did one now that was on "error" and not on stopped and it gets an "corrupted segment". 

Unraids Parity-Check have never found any errors though. Last one done a week ago. 

Thanks for the response. Narrowed it down a bit. I'm lost at what the cause can be though..
I don't use cache for torrents so can't be that disk. Do it go through RAM when it looks for a file, and a RAM might be bad maybe? 

1 hour ago, tshorts said:

You mean "Verify"? I did in the beginning, but not anymore, takes to long time. I did one now that was on "error" and not on stopped and it gets an "corrupted segment". 

Unraids Parity-Check have never found any errors though. Last one done a week ago. 

Thanks for the response. Narrowed it down a bit. I'm lost at what the cause can be though..
I don't use cache for torrents so can't be that disk. Do it go through RAM when it looks for a file, and a RAM might be bad maybe? 

Everything goes through RAM both ways -- nothing actually ever goes directly from the disk to the CPU, it's always going through RAM.

Corrupted segment means something is wrong with the file as it sits on the disk.

Parity check passing means that it's written incorrectly on the disk as far as the torrent data is concerned.

I'm guessing a bad cable, or bad RAM.  I've seen a bad cable give similar issues.

• Upvote 1
55 minutes ago, rramstad said:

Everything goes through RAM both ways -- nothing actually ever goes directly from the disk to the CPU, it's always going through RAM.

Corrupted segment means something is wrong with the file as it sits on the disk.

Parity check passing means that it's written incorrectly on the disk as far as the torrent data is concerned.

I'm guessing a bad cable, or bad RAM.  I've seen a bad cable give similar issues.

Thanks. The cables yes, good idea. I'll replace out the SATA cables, if that doesn't help I'll remove one RAM at a time and see if it stops. Hope for the best. 

Weird that the files work fine, and the errors come totally random, can seed for a year and suddenly 99.9%, and same torrent can happen multiple times, wonder if transmission perhaps only try receiving a segment from HDD once, the requested segment gets corrupted in a bad cable and decides it's corrupted. While the Parity check will do multiple requests if a segment is seen as corrupted. 

I'll try Verifying a bunch of none-errored torrents. 

Just now, tshorts said:

Thanks. The cables yes, good idea. I'll replace out the SATA cables, if that doesn't help I'll remove one RAM at a time and see if it stops. Hope for the best. 

Weird that the files work fine, and the errors come totally random, can seed for a year and suddenly 99.9%, and same torrent can happen multiple times, wonder if transmission perhaps only try receiving a segment from HDD once, the requested segment gets corrupted in a bad cable and decides it's corrupted. While the Parity check will do multiple requests if a segment is seen as corrupted. 

I'll try Verifying a bunch of none-errored torrents. 

I'd recommend taking the server offline and using something like a bootable USB stick to run Memtest or similar overnight.

That's a really good way to figure out if you have a memory problem or not.

No, you misunderstand parity.  If data that is incorrect is written to the array, the array doesn't know it's incorrect.  Parity will report it as matching what is expected -- it's just not what the torrent sent.

Parity can only help recover errors i.e. when something was written as X and becomes Y.  It can't detect any problems if X was written and really it was supposed to be A in the first place.

Reseat your RAM sticks for sure before doing anything else.  SATA cables are super cheap so replace them all.

I've also seen weird stuff when a power supply is dying OR when the PS was on the edge anyway and the hard drives get old, they draw a bit more power, and can cause problems.

Honestly I've seen it all, bad motherboard in this situation, bad ethernet...

10 minutes ago, rramstad said:

I'd recommend taking the server offline and using something like a bootable USB stick to run Memtest or similar overnight.

That's a really good way to figure out if you have a memory problem or not.

No, you misunderstand parity.  If data that is incorrect is written to the array, the array doesn't know it's incorrect.  Parity will report it as matching what is expected -- it's just not what the torrent sent.

Parity can only help recover errors i.e. when something was written as X and becomes Y.  It can't detect any problems if X was written and really it was supposed to be A in the first place.

Reseat your RAM sticks for sure before doing anything else.  SATA cables are super cheap so replace them all.

I've also seen weird stuff when a power supply is dying OR when the PS was on the edge anyway and the hard drives get old, they draw a bit more power, and can cause problems.

Honestly I've seen it all, bad motherboard in this situation, bad ethernet...

I really hoped it could be bad cable Disk -> Processor and not the other way around but I verified a torrent that ended up 99.9%, and reverified it and it failed again, so it's written error as you say. 

Cables, then memtest it is. 
I really hope it's one of those. But it's probably a bad motherboard if I know my luck with motherboards correctly. 

Thanks for the help!

Hello
I tried to read some of the posts to solve my problem to no avail.
I just want to make the Peer listening port work.
Now just to start my tests on the right foot, have a look a the the screenshot please.

image.thumb.png.726098ac164b23b1e636569bbbd183c8.png

Should I use bridge or host mode? I tried to open both 51413 and 9091 ports on UTP and TCP, none worked.
Please help.

• 2 weeks later...

Trying to install transmission, default settings, filled out the variables asked for, but when I start the docker I get in the logs

```

transmission-remote:  (http://localhost:9091/transmission/rpc/) Couldn't connect to server

```

How do I fix this? I spent about an hour searching google/here to no avail so far. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/22/2022 at 7:55 PM, mafkees1233 said:

Thank you for your reply.

I'm trying to connect from a computer in the same network.

The url displayed is 192.168.0.152:9091 , which is the correct ip and port for the server.

Other containers (portainer) are working fine

In Peerport, insert a port number.

I had this issue myself and it was solved this way.

8 hours ago, nordika said:

Can someone help and show me how to change to another webui (keku)?

I have stopped the container, did the chages but still it reverts to"combustion".

Did you change the `TRANSMISSION_WEB_HOME` env variable? I have similar experience when trying to update it to flood, I didn't see the changes for a few days, not sure why.

• 1 month later...
17 hours ago, SLNetworks said:

Is it possible to make the interface smaller again? I liked it when the text and line spacing was really small and I could see a lot more.

The docker is only providing what the transmission developers have created. Nobody packaging this docker have written any of the transmission code. You should ask this question of them.

This is generally true of most dockers.

59 minutes ago, trurl said:

I also find the dark mode of Transmission Remote GUI to be bad as well. Additionally there seems to be a bug in v4 where some of my torrents from sonarr are being added paused, despite the settings being set to start when added. I really would just like to downgrade to the last stable v3 version. And/or be able to turn off the dark mode in the webui without having to change my system settings.

Edited by halorrr
5 hours ago, cherrybullet said:

You can pin your docker to a specific image version or tag by adding a colon and then the tag name.

https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/transmission/tags

if you really wanted to, you could change the repository field in your transmission settings to `linuxserver/transmission:version-3.00-r8`

image.png.abb06083f9ff19e8584b7c9cf9ce21d3.png

but personally i also prefer Transmission Remote GUI

Would anyone happen to have a link to how they installed Transmission Remote Gui for Unraid?

***EDIT*** Figured a solution out - I went with web-control and installed it under /appdata/transmission/web-control and then used the TRANSMISSION_WEB_HOME variable to specify /config/web-control/

Edited by PureLoneWolf
15 hours ago, PureLoneWolf said:

Would anyone happen to have a link to how they installed Transmission Remote Gui for Unraid?

***EDIT*** Figured a solution out - I went with web-control and installed it under /appdata/transmission/web-control and then used the TRANSMISSION_WEB_HOME variable to specify /config/web-control/

Your post, seems to be incomplete. How did you install it there? Did you find it in the CA list?

There is a thing I like about the new container - the part of being able to add tracker URLs to make them available to all torrents. My biggest gripe is the text size, line spacing, and how the side pops out and covers the torrent list instead of pushing the list over to go beside.

On 2/11/2023 at 7:05 PM, PureLoneWolf said:

Any chance you can explain how you changed the UI? I would like to use web control

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/16/2023 at 9:06 AM, IamDan said:

Any chance you can explain how you changed the UI? I would like to use web control

Sorry - I didn't get the notification....

I downloaded web control from here https://github.com/ronggang/transmission-web-control/archive/master.zip

Then, I extracted the src directory from master.zip, renamed it to web-control and placed it in my Downloads share (accessible from the docker as /downloads, in my case /mnt/user/Downloads).

Lastly, I edited my Transmission docker template to make sure that there was a variable called TRANSMISSION_WEB_HOME:

Config Type:  Variable
Name: TRANSMISSION_WEB_HOME
Key: TRANSMISSION_WEB_HOME
Value: /downloads/web-control/

Now, when I head to the WebGUI, I get the web-control interface.

Hope that helps

• Like 1

Guys please how to fix issue:

I download some torrent but when i want to create manualy some folder in there, i CAN'T it say issue with permissions

So i need to go TOOLS - NEW PERMISSIONS - pick the folder and hit START

It runs the permission and its fine

Processing: /mnt/user/Downloads
... chmod -R u-x,go-rwx,go+u,ugo+X /mnt/user/Down
... chown -R nobody:users /mnt/user/Down
... sync

Completed, elapsed time: 00:00:04

How to fix it ? that i dont have to do it each time manually?

It was fine in past, so no clue what changed...

thanks