[Support] Linuxserver.io - Transmission

Hey there,

Pardon if this is a n00b question - i tried searching this thread but did not find the answers i was looking for. I have 2 questions:

1) Is there any way to setup notifications so that when torrents finish, I know? Email would be fine - as would some other way of sending that message to my laptop (macbook pro).

Probably best asked over in Transmission forum, docker is merely a way of packaging the apps.

2) What is the best way to setup remote access for this so that I can add torrents while I'm out and about?

Either port forward or setup a reverse proxy.

thanks for your help!

i do have one more question:

i've installed transmission and configured it to download using my array w/ over 7 TB of space left. However, i see to get the message "Unable to save resume file: No Space left on device". When i force resume the downloads they seem to work for a few mintues and then hit me with that error message. I've checked the paths in my preferences and confirmed that these files are downloading to my array (as opposed to my cache drive or something like that).

Any idea on what's causing that problem?

i've installed transmission and configured it to download using my array w/ over 7 TB of space left. However, i see to get the message "Unable to save resume file: No Space left on device". When i force resume the downloads they seem to work for a few mintues and then hit me with that error message. I've checked the paths in my preferences and confirmed that these files are downloading to my array (as opposed to my cache drive or something like that).

Any idea on what's causing that problem?

Post your docker run command or a screenshot of your docker showing the volume mappings.

EDIT - I see you already did on your other thread.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It seems when i restart transmission it looses all the settings set in UI. Is this on purpose? i notice the settings.json file isnt updating.

I can't reproduce this.  Just pulled it, settings updated.  Have you edited the file manually or done anything else?  Fresh install?

Can confirm, Transmission keeps losing settings.

root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name="transmission" --net="bridge" -e TZ="Europe/Berlin" -e HOST_OS="unRAID" -e "PUID"="99" -e "PGID"="100" -p 9091:9091/tcp -p 51413:51413/tcp -v "/mnt/user/Media/INGEST/Downloads/":"/downloads":rw -v "/mnt/user/Data/TorrentWatch/":"/watch":rw -v "/mnt/user/appdata/transmission":"/config":rw linuxserver/transmission
1958169265eb0f7d8ccce5f2378ac23eb54929121bf7a441b39ae812a269570c

root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name="transmission" --net="bridge" -e TZ="Europe/Berlin" -e HOST_OS="unRAID" -e "PUID"="99" -e "PGID"="100" -p 9091:9091/tcp -p 51413:51413/tcp -v "/mnt/user/Media/INGEST/Downloads/":"/downloads":rw -v "/mnt/user/Data/TorrentWatch/":"/watch":rw -v "/mnt/user/appdata/transmission":"/config":rw linuxserver/transmission

Just to confirm, as I don't use this container, are we talking about the settings found by clicking the spanner/wrench icon.  Still can't reproduce this, I did wonder if changing the appdata from my usual /mnt/cache/appdata to /mnt/user/appdata would reproduce it but it doesn't.

Just to confirm, as I don't use this container, are we talking about the settings found by clicking the spanner/wrench icon.  Still can't reproduce this, I did wonder if changing the appdata from my usual /mnt/cache/appdata to /mnt/user/appdata would reproduce it but it doesn't.

I've been using this since day one and I just updated it this morning. It is still working fine for me but I didn't change any settings after the update this morning. If you are trying to make changes to settings.json you need to do that with the docker stopped. Other than that I don't know what to suggest.

Some torrents that are downloaded  are in a RAR file. Transmission has the option to extract from archives in the settings.json file:

"script-torrent-done-enabled"  +  "script-torrent-done-filename"

Does someone know how to execute unrar in the transmission docker? I have installed unrar via the nerd pack, but the docker doesn't know unrar....

Some torrents that are downloaded  are in a RAR file. Transmission has the option to extract from archives in the settings.json file:

Does someone know how to execute unrar in the transmission docker? I have installed unrar via the nerd pack, but the docker doesn't know unrar....

My trackers don't even allow rar files. What's the point? The media are already compressed, and the torrent itself is already an archive.

One of you with issues is gonna have to do some investigating.

Can't reproduce this here and no reports on github or irc of any issues.

Can someone do a ls -la on /config and post the results, along with their docker run command if they haven't already posted it.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

One of you with issues is gonna have to do some investigating.

Can't reproduce this here and no reports on github or irc of any issues.

Can someone do a ls -la on /config and post the results, along with their docker run command if they haven't already posted it.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Thank you for taking the time to respond #CHBMB

As you can see by my post count. I'm fresh meat around these parts :)

So please forgive my ignorance.

When you write "/config" I can't seem to find any folder by that name(regarding Transmission). So below I'm posting what I'm guessing could be relevant info!

root@unRAID:/# ls -la /mnt/user/appdata/transmission/

total 16

drwxrwxrwx 1 nobody users  146 Jan 16 13:48 ./

drwxrwxrwx 1 nobody users  472 Jan 16 11:25 ../

-rwxr-xr-x 1 nobody users  553 Nov 20 16:29 blocklist-update.sh*

drwxr-xr-x 1 nobody users    0 Nov 20 16:29 blocklists/

-rw------- 1 nobody users  652 Jan  9 04:00 dht.dat

drwxr-xr-x 1 nobody users  552 Jan 16 14:24 resume/

-rw------- 1 nobody users 2184 Jan 16 13:48 settings.json

-rw------- 1 nobody users  161 Jan 16 12:29 stats.json

drwxr-xr-x 1 nobody users  560 Jan 16 14:23 torrents/

I think this is the xml the docker run command for transmission is built from.

Please advise if I'm wrong. Is there an easier way to see the run command?

root@unRAID:/# cat /boot/config/plugins/dockerMan/templates-user/my-transmission.xml
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<Container version="2">
  <Name>transmission</Name>
  <Repository>linuxserver/transmission</Repository>
  <Registry>https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/transmission/</Registry>
  <Network>bridge</Network>
  <Privileged>false</Privileged>
  <Support>http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=44049.0</Support>
  <Overview>Transmission is designed for easy, powerful use. Transmission has the features you want from a BitTorrent client: encryption, a web interface, peer exchange, magnet link                                                        s, DHT, &#xB5;TP, UPnP and NAT-PMP port forwarding, webseed support, watch directories, tracker editing, global and per-torrent speed limits, and more.[br]&#;
  [br][br][b][u][span style='color: #E80000;']Configuration[/span][/u][/b][br]&#;
  [b]/config[/b] : Storing all transmission config files [br]&#;
  [b]/downloads[/b] : Point to Downloads location[br]&#;
  [b]/watch[/b] : Point to watch folder[br]&#;
  </Overview>
  <Category>Downloaders:</Category>
  <WebUI>http://[iP]:[PORT:9091]/</WebUI>
  <TemplateURL/>
  <Icon>https://raw.githubusercontent.com/linuxserver/docker-templates/master/linuxserver.io/img/transmission-icon.png</Icon>
  <ExtraParams/>
  <DateInstalled>1479722073</DateInstalled>
  <Description>Transmission is designed for easy, powerful use. Transmission has the features you want from a BitTorrent client: encryption, a web interface, peer exchange, magnet l                                                        inks, DHT, &#xB5;TP, UPnP and NAT-PMP port forwarding, webseed support, watch directories, tracker editing, global and per-torrent speed limits, and more.[br]&#;
  [br][br][b][u][span style='color: #E80000;']Configuration[/span][/u][/b][br]&#;
  [b]/config[/b] : Storing all transmission config files [br]&#;
  [b]/downloads[/b] : Point to Downloads location[br]&#;
  [b]/watch[/b] : Point to watch folder[br]&#;
  </Description>
  <Networking>
    <Mode>bridge</Mode>
    <Publish>
      <Port>
        <HostPort>9091</HostPort>
        <ContainerPort>9091</ContainerPort>
        <Protocol>tcp</Protocol>
      </Port>
      <Port>
        <HostPort>51413</HostPort>
        <ContainerPort>51413</ContainerPort>
        <Protocol>tcp</Protocol>
      </Port>
    </Publish>
  </Networking>
  <Data>
    <Volume>
      <HostDir>/mnt/user/downloads/Transmission/</HostDir>
      <ContainerDir>/downloads</ContainerDir>
      <Mode>rw</Mode>
    </Volume>
    <Volume>
      <HostDir>/mnt/user/downloads/torrentAutoAdd-WatchFolder/Transmission/</HostDir>
      <ContainerDir>/watch</ContainerDir>
      <Mode>rw</Mode>
    </Volume>
    <Volume>
      <HostDir>/mnt/user/appdata/transmission</HostDir>
      <ContainerDir>/config</ContainerDir>
      <Mode>rw</Mode>
    </Volume>
  </Data>
  <Environment>
    <Variable>
      <Value>99</Value>
      <Name>PUID</Name>
      <Mode/>
    </Variable>
    <Variable>
      <Value>100</Value>
      <Name>PGID</Name>
      <Mode/>
    </Variable>
  </Environment>
  <Config Name="Host Port 1" Target="9091" Default="9091" Mode="tcp" Description="Container Port: 9091" Type="Port" Display="always" Required="true" Mask="false">9091</Config>
  <Config Name="Host Port 2" Target="51413" Default="51413" Mode="tcp" Description="Container Port: 51413" Type="Port" Display="always" Required="true" Mask="false">51413</Config>
  <Config Name="Host Path 2" Target="/downloads" Default="" Mode="rw" Description="Container Path: /downloads" Type="Path" Display="always" Required="true" Mask="false">/mnt/user/do                                                        wnloads/Transmission/</Config>
  <Config Name="Host Path 3" Target="/watch" Default="" Mode="rw" Description="Container Path: /watch" Type="Path" Display="always" Required="true" Mask="false">/mnt/user/downloads/                                                        torrentAutoAdd-WatchFolder/Transmission/</Config>
  <Config Name="Key 1" Target="PUID" Default="99" Mode="" Description="Container Variable: PUID" Type="Variable" Display="always" Required="false" Mask="false">99</Config>
  <Config Name="Key 2" Target="PGID" Default="100" Mode="" Description="Container Variable: PGID" Type="Variable" Display="always" Required="false" Mask="false">100</Config>
  <Config Name="AppData Config Path" Target="/config" Default="/mnt/user/appdata/transmission" Mode="rw" Description="Container Path: /config" Type="Path" Display="advanced-hide" Re                                                        quired="true" Mask="false">/mnt/user/appdata/transmission</Config>
</Container>

And as I was saying before,. I'm new to unRAID/Docker. But trying to familiarise myself with unRAID/Docker/Linux etc. as fast as possible  .

Please advise if you want me to provide you with other/more information.

P.S. I'm running unRAID version 6.3.0-rc6.

My trackers don't even allow rar files. What's the point? The media are already compressed, and the torrent itself is already an archive.

Beside if it's logical to put rar in torrents I would like to know how to call unrar from the transmission docker.

Beside if it's logical to put rar in torrents I would like to know how to call unrar from the transmission docker.

latest update has unrar, unzip, tar and p7zip included to cover most of the bases for extraction.

Another case of settings resetting here.

Biggest issue for me, is that Transmission won't move finished downloads out of incomplete folder.

Docker mappings:

/downloads  /mnt/cache/downloads/incoming
/watch  /mnt/cache/appdata/transmission/watch
/config  /mnt/cache/appdata/transmission

Transmission download folder is set to /downloads.

When i double click the finished torrent, it says the location is "/mnt/cache/downloads/incoming/", but the files are still in "/mnt/cache/appdata/transmission/incomplete".

Anyone else experiencing this?

Also, I noticed that /watch folder doesnt work. I'm not using this feature anyway, just thought I'm going to mention it.

Biggest issue for me, is that Transmission won't move finished downloads out of incomplete folder.

Docker mappings:

When i double click the finished torrent, it says the location is "/mnt/cache/downloads/incoming/", but the files are still in "/mnt/cache/appdata/transmission/incomplete".

Also, I noticed that /watch folder doesnt work. I'm not using this feature anyway, just thought I'm going to mention it.

What exactly do you mean by "double click the finished torrent"? In the Transmission webUI? Transmission doesn't understand the folder path /mnt/cache/downloads/incoming, according to the mappings you said you have. It would refer to that unRAID host folder as /downloads.

You have something misconfigured, either in the container settings, or within the Transmission application.

Docker mappings:

What exactly do you mean by "double click the finished torrent"? In the Transmission webUI? Transmission doesn't understand the folder path /mnt/cache/downloads/incoming, according to the mappings you said you have. It would refer to that unRAID host folder as /downloads.

You have something misconfigured, either in the container settings, or within the Transmission application.

yeah, when double clicking in the transmission webUI.

my "download to" path within the transmission app is "/downloads"

from settings.json:

"download-dir": "/downloads",

docker mappings like in my previous post: