[Support] Linuxserver.io - Transmission

18 minutes ago, orlando500 said:

btw. maybe a rookie question. but i have setup transmission and got the download going.. but i see a lot of downloads is staying in incomple folder. and an error message in the logs:

Unable to create directory for new file: Permission denied (torrent.c:3162)

any ideas? this is a new standard install

Possibly the path is incorrect. To what path is the docker trying to save the torrent when you get the message? Does that path correspond to something in the docker volume mappings?

• Upvote 1
12 minutes ago, trurl said:

Possibly the path is incorrect. To what path is the docker trying to save the torrent when you get the message? Does that path correspond to something in the docker volume mappings?

hostpath2 is set to /mnt/user/download/  but now that you said path... i have set a path in sicrage to tell transmission to download to /complete as it did look like sicrage was viewing the hole structure. So i removed that and im testing now :-)

Maybe you have some tips on the other question regarding script to remove torrent to?

Btw. thanks... new unraid user and so far i just love the community. Fast and good answers are good to have for a newbie at linux

Edited by orlando500
add postive comment
On 10/26/2017 at 7:18 AM, ken-ji said:

You are running out of file descriptors.... this is usually solved by running some commands before the docker is started

# sysctl -w fs.file-max=1616812

You can place this in the go file. I don't know if the Tips and Tweaks Plugin can set that for you.

Caveat: The number is the default max on my system and I never had to override it and I run Transmission with a bunch of seeds.

Tou can get the current value with

# sysctl fs.file-max

Got it! I used ssh for this, I can't find the Tips and Tweaks Plugin while...

On 10/26/2017 at 11:47 PM, trurl said:

The go file is in config folder of your flash drive. It is sometimes used to run code at boot since most things won't survive a reboot.

You could also do this with the User Scripts plugin.

I managed to get the User Scripts, but I'm not sure if I set it up correctly.

test.thumb.png.b7f4b16c85906b79b0020d8039850e24.png

As much as I understand, the complete and incomplete folders are auto-created, when the docker container starts. Can this be disabled somehow?

I use a bunch of dockers containers, that point to the same downloads user share, so I use the subfolders to make it more organised. This is an example:

\downloads\transmission\complete
\downloads\transmission\incomplete

\downloads\nzbget\complete
\downloads\nzbget\incomplete

\downloads\rutorrent\complete
\downloads\ruttorent\incomplete

The problem is, that transmission docker always creates those damn complete and incomplete folders in \downloads\ folder, even though they are never used. This drives me up the wall :) Every time I restart the container, I need to delete these 2 folders - if not, I always go into them by mistake looking for downloaded files >:(

I hope this can be disabled. Or at least, please consider making this optional with an ability to be disabled.

Why are those folders auto-created anyway? I mean transmission can create folders on the fly, when downloading, so why would you hard code this into docker container?

Edited by shEiD
  • 1 month later...

Sounds like you aren't getting what jonathanm said. You said you had mapped /download, but then you said you expected to find them in /downloads.

/download is not the same as /downloads.

If you had transmission saving into the unmapped folder /downloads then that location would be inside the docker itself, inaccessible from unRAID, and taking up space in the docker.

If this is what you have done, then you should remove the container to clean up that space, then add it back, perhaps mapping /downloads instead of /download.

• Like 1

Could someone using a gigabit link with Transmission Docker confirm that the full bandwidth can be utilized?

Looks like somehow I am capped at about 40MB/sec, while from another computer from the same network I can have 100MB+/sec using the same connection with the same torrent.

Doesn't seem to be a limitation by the Docker environment (I was trying with the Transmission plugin as well with same results) - can somehow unRAID itself have a limitation not enabling Transmission to run at full speed?

On 12/20/2017 at 4:06 PM, olympia said:

Could someone using a gigabit link with Transmission Docker confirm that the full bandwidth can be utilized?

Looks like somehow I am capped at about 40MB/sec, while from another computer from the same network I can have 100MB+/sec using the same connection with the same torrent.

Doesn't seem to be a limitation by the Docker environment (I was trying with the Transmission plugin as well with same results) - can somehow unRAID itself have a limitation not enabling Transmission to run at full speed?

Do you have an SSD for cache? Is your Downloads share set to use cache?

It might just be your array write speed being slowed by calculating parity.

BTW, I am still having this issue with settings/preferences not saving. I have three separate instances of the Transmission Docker, two old and one brand new. The older two have saved settings from back when I could adjust and they'd save, and the newly created docker just reverts to the default settings.

Edited by natecook
4 hours ago, natecook said:

Do you have an SSD for cache? Is your Downloads share set to use cache?

It might just be your array write speed being slowed by calculating parity.

No, but the HDD I use for cache is fast enough to handle gigabit speed and yes, I use cache only folder. I know what I am doing. I found some other reports in the meantime on transmission forums that it cannot handle speed more than 40MB/sec:

https://forum.transmissionbt.com/viewtopic.php?t=14697

https://forum.transmissionbt.com/viewtopic.php?t=16725

Deluge is also not much better.

I just tried QBittorrent and it CAN saturate the network, so it seems like this is the ONLY torrent client what can handle that speed. 

I am (was) a fun of transmission though... It's a pity... 

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/24/2017 at 5:37 PM, natecook said:

BTW, I am still having this issue with settings/preferences not saving. I have three separate instances of the Transmission Docker, two old and one brand new. The older two have saved settings from back when I could adjust and they'd save, and the newly created docker just reverts to the default settings.

My settings also don't stick

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I got a notification from unraid there's an update to transmission, but when I go into the Docker tab and hit "check for updates", it says transmission is already up-to-date.

I think it hasn't updated for a good number of weeks now, and usually there's an update every week or two... Any ideas?

Ah, I think you're right O.o

Well if nothing else, it's quite hard for me to confirm I've got the latest version. In the client, I'm seeing 2.92 (14714), but I can't find that version number anywhere on the docker hub or the github page, or in this thread. So I feel uncertain whether I'm *actually* up-to-date...

/edit

When I say "the client", I mean Transmission Remote GUI 5.0.1.

Edited by thany

It's not up to date :)

We're on 2.92, latest available was pushed to github 18 days ago - https://github.com/transmission/transmission/releases

Version 2.93:

• Fix CVE-2018-5702 (#468)
  • Fix crash on handshake if establishing DH shared secret fails (#27)
  • Fix crash when switching to next tracker during announcement (#297)
  • Fix potential issue during password salt extraction in OOM situation (#141)
  • Workaround glib_DEFUN- and glib_REQUIRE-related configuration issue (#215)
  • Fix building against OpenSSL 1.1.0+ (#24)

Hi.

I having some issues with this container, not sure if someone else notice, but transmission container looks like is triggering a memory leak in shfs process, I'm not having this issue with other containers (I will keep testing and monitoring), quoting myself:

I have been able to reproduce this with just transmission container, vm engine disabled and no plugins, docker image is loaded from a ssd outside of the array manually mounted before array start.

The test was:

All plugins removed, vm engine disabled, server rebooted to clean shfs from other test, ssd manually mounted, array started, transmission started, a few torrents seeding and/or downloading, in just a few minutes its clear that shfs memory is growing fast, but to be sure, waited 2+ hours  and check again to see the ram over 200+ Mb and not getting lower even after stopping transmission.

The exact same test with deluge instead transmission, it never went over 30Mb after 15h and loads of torrents.

So, recap, the ¿leak? looks triggered by transmision container (linuxserver.io version) and needs a reboot to clear it (if the container is stopped and deluge started the ram usage continues to grow).

What is the exact problem, no idea at the moment, as Jeronyson noted, it's an issue not present on unraid 6.3.5

• 3 weeks later...
On 07/07/2017 at 11:31 AM, smdion said:

I found this script and put in my config folder, then added the following items to my settings.json

"script-torrent-done-enabled": true,
    "script-torrent-done-filename": "/config/unrar.sh",

Hi, your link to script doesn't work anymore.  Do you still have the script that you can share thanks?